Ramp Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh -- get stuff done around the house... boat wasn't going in until May anyway. Just hope we get in the water before June. Sad we are here as a province, thankful that will end... but annoyed the same silly people will still be making decisions.

Just hope the fish don't go into isolation this summer.
Been talks of a summer election

Reactions: jrr
BOAT RAMPS

Due to the recent lockdown and stay at home orders, the decision to close the county owned ramps were made. I know that this frustrates many people and with every other decision made throughout this pandemic, you can shoot holes through them and find very good rationale to argue for and against.

So why close the ramps? While it is true is that many local people here fish and enjoy the amenities of the ramps along the grand river and Lake Erie, so do many from other parts of the Province. In fact if you ask many of the residents of Port Maitland they can support the argument that the pier, ramp and park is a very public tourist destination. There are no amenities for these people and so garbage, feces and just about anything else lands on either public property or surrounding private property that obviously is upsetting for those homeowners.

There are privately run ramps that serve the public and offer the amenities needed to accept guests and locals. Access to both waterways is available at a marginal cost and it helps the local private marina or business.

In comparison to golf, while my opinions differ from the Province on many of the COVID rules, most golfers are actually local, and privately run golf clubs possess the staff to keep outdoor facilities cleaned for their patrons. Public ramps just simply do not.

Today we are experiencing the 3rd wave of this virus and while it may seem like it is not evident here in HN, we are not immune to the very real affects of the variants that are pushing the numbers to all time highs. I understand that we are all VIRUS fatigued and frankly had enough but for the health and welfare of the communities, the small sacrifice of closing public boat ramps is a small price to pay for a couple of weeks to flatten and/or to know that we have done everything possible to keep our hospitals free and clear to help our loved ones.

We are currently working with the county staff and those that run private boat ramps to ensure that our local fishing population has some options available to them and so they can enjoy their pastime and be able to fish.

Regards.

Ken
Appreciate the reply -- really this is about keeping people from coming form out the county. But man. That whole local level stuff just doesn't get that people are not 'local' to counties in this province. You may live in Dover but you drive to Hamilton and/or London daily. I get the pressure but this on par with not letting people buy diapers while in Walmart. It undermines the important stuff... whether you appreciate that or not... some day you might. Anyway. Thank you for your work. I can disagree but I will support your effort.

Been talks of a summer election
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

The stuff that is driving us nuts is systemic. My dad tried to change it for 30 years... it won't change unless there are real consequences. Even overflowing Toronto hospitals won't be enough.

Was down that way today myself....and yup, atleast one barrier was moved with people launching. Funny the outdoor farmers market in the parking lot at the dam was still a go, but ffs don't launch a boat and distance yourself from people 😕 Complete stupidity...

We managed to get out and get into some fish anyway
IMG_20210410_092043.jpgIMG_20210410_092220.jpgIMG_20210410_101509.jpgIMG_20210410_101600.jpgIMG_20210410_101638.jpgIMG_20210410_105827.jpgIMG_20210410_111246.jpgIMG_20210410_115303_110.jpgIMG_20210410_133640.jpgIMG_20210410_131359.jpg

Nice fish Josh.

:ROFLMAO: My wife was doing one of the things I'd been putting off and told me to get off my butt and do something earlier. So, after I went and got us lunch at her direction, I put the new lawnmower together, cut the lawn, restrung the weed wacker and made sure it worked too, then took a nap. I just woke up again and had to take out the garbage she filled but at least that one thing I was putting off is pretty much done. She did it while I snoozed :sleep::giggle:

I might yet get out before the end of the month. Then again, I might have a surprise list waiting for me now.:nailbiting::LOL:

Just to be a shit disturber, there is a lockdown/stay at home order in effect in ALL Ontario. I don't know what part of that you don't understand. You are to stay home!! While going fishing is certainly a great way to release stress and we all need it, it is NOT essential. I hate this as much as the next guy, didn't get out ice fishing or skiing once this winter. Last year same shit but, we did get out by May 24 weekend and let's hope we can this year as well. Meanwhile STAY HOME. Either that or we hire Trump to build a wall around Toronto and keep all the city-idiots in place.

mrozborn are you going out to get gas...groceries etc? That is essential to you, well people getting out fishing getting fresh air etc. is essential to them. This debate can go so many different ways you do what you do and they do what they do and if you don’t like it so be it but it’s within our rights. Go fishing and enjoy the fresh air.

mrozborn are you going out to get gas...groceries etc? That is essential to you, well people getting out fishing getting fresh air etc. is essential to them. This debate can go so many different ways you do what you do and they do what they do and if you don’t like it so be it but it’s within our rights. Go fishing and enjoy the fresh air.
I'm a fisherman, hunter, boater and all round outdoors man. What I'm not is SELFISH. There's a reason for this lockdown and reading reports and seeing conditions at hospitals should mean something. I'm no spring chicken anymore and my parents are near 90. How would I feel if I gave covid to someone and they died? Going fishing during this lockdown is NOT within your rights, unless you're a commercial fisherman. Your argument about going "fishing is essential" is nonsense. Pretty sure that wouldn't stand in court. I know, you were walking outside (which is allowed, but you have to call it exercise) along side a pier and you just happened to have a fishing pole in your hand. That might work!
I don't like this anymore than you do. I'm itching to open my trailer and get my boat launched. But I believe in science and it makes sense to isolate for the incubation period of the virus to stop the spreading. The countries that went into complete lockdown early had the most success dealing with the spreading. It's only April, can't people give it a chance and wait until May? After that, where's that line for the pitchforks?
Unfortunately, there are a lot of selfish people out there that only think of themselves and not the big picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks