Ralph Bice - Algonquin Park Advice!

BrentT

Hey guys - wondering if anyone has any expereince fishing northern lake for trout.
Heading to Algonquin Park this weekend.
Staying on Ralph Bice Lake (formerly Butt). Canoeing in, setting up camp for 5 days.
There are Lake and Brook Trout in this Lake.
Borrowing a portable fish finder from a friend. Taking a lead core line and real with only 5 colours (25ft down). Maybe add some banna weights. Suspecting these Lakers are deep this time of year and suspended anywhere from 35-55 ft of water.
Thought about a small dipsey diver, taking a rapala tail dancer, williams wobblers, etc.
But got to get down deep. Three way swivels???
Talk to one old fellow and he said tie your line to the thwart of your canoe, drop your line to the bottom, get some kind of "zero lady lead weight" with a 6-10 ft lead that planes out when canoeing ?????
Any past expereinces or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Going to try network 54 - algonquin fourm also.
cheers.

Hi @BrentT,

I've been to Algonquin Park fishing for lake trout and brook trout several times over the past decade. I've never fished the lake you mention, but I've fished several others and have caught trout in all of them.

On trips during the summer time I've always just used lead core. Generally speaking, 6 to 8 colours of leadcore always seemed to be the trick in the heat of the summer. I always fish with a full core and I just let line out to 6, 7 or 8 colours and stop, so it isn't the same setup I'd use out on Erie where I'd let the lead out and have some mono or braid between the rod and the leadcore. I usually just have a 6-10' leader of 12lb flouro. I've seen a few different lures catch fish, but I only use one spoon in the summer now as it has always caught fish. A 'lizard' by lucky strike. I've attached a picture for you. Canadian Tire usually had a few. They're a cheap spoon and seem to rust out pretty quick, but the Algonquin Lakers love 'em.

I've never had a fish or depth finder in the park so we always just use the topography surrounding the lake and try and find the deepest section. Once you find "the spot" it is usually pretty consistent for catching trout.

In the summer on the lakes I'm familiar with I only end up fishing for an hour or so each day and limit myself to one or two trout a day for the frying pan. I'm sure you can catch dozens but I've always thought the mortality rate would be high when bringing those trout up from the depths so quickly.

Good luck and have fun. Algonquin Park is an amazing place with an amazing trout fishery.

Attachments

• lizard.jpg
    lizard.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 10
  • lizard.jpg
    lizard.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 10
Hey guys - wondering if anyone has any expereince fishing northern lake for trout.
Heading to Algonquin Park this weekend.
Staying on Ralph Bice Lake (formerly Butt). Canoeing in, setting up camp for 5 days.
There are Lake and Brook Trout in this Lake.
Borrowing a portable fish finder from a friend. Taking a lead core line and real with only 5 colours (25ft down). Maybe add some banna weights. Suspecting these Lakers are deep this time of year and suspended anywhere from 35-55 ft of water.
Thought about a small dipsey diver, taking a rapala tail dancer, williams wobblers, etc.
But got to get down deep. Three way swivels???
Talk to one old fellow and he said tie your line to the thwart of your canoe, drop your line to the bottom, get some kind of "zero lady lead weight" with a 6-10 ft lead that planes out when canoeing ?????
Any past expereinces or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Going to try network 54 - algonquin fourm also.
cheers.
Hey Brent, A bud of mine lives/works in Algonquin so I've been heading up there each summer since 2000 and fished numerous lakes that we portage into (not yet the one you're going into). Each time the hot bite has been early morning and evening (wind is generally low at those times as well so easier to control the canoe). We only use leadcore with small spoons (cleo and sometimes flutter spoons) and add scent each time we put down. Paddle slow with eratic movement occasionally (back paddle a bit) and we rarely put more than 4 colors out. The lakers are up shallow early morning and evening on the feed (above thermocline or upper limits of it). Fishing usually dies off by 9 or 10 am so fish have likely gone deeper but don't have to go to the bottom for them (bottom part of thermocline or just below). Your paddling slow so lure will drop deeper. We actually find that we can only put out a color or so at a time then need to paddle bit so lure doesn't sink to bottom and pick up bottom crud. Wind is usually up by then and we've been on water since daybreak so head in anyways for breakfast and relax. Good luck.

I used to fish that lake every spring (first weekend in May). We always did well, but the water was just above freezing, so we just flatlined rapalas and small spoons along the shorelines. One of the best spoons was a lime green little cleo. On the right shore (from the portage you come in), about 1/2 down the lake is a really deep spot that may be worth trying at this time of year. If you can't get down deep enough trolling, try jigging a spoon or soft plastic. Little Trout and Queer lake have some nice specs in them if you want to take a short portage off the end of Bice! Good Luck.

Back