Question re: apprentice hunters

Hello,
I am planning on hunting the unit this year with my son who got his apprentice license last year. I'm just wondering how this works at the unit. Are we charged for 2 hunters, even though one is an apprentice? If we have two hunters and one apprentice, can we share one blind?
I used to hunt the unit almost 20 years ago, and I'm looking forward to coming back to the point now that my son can hunt with me.
Thanks for any info you can provide.
Mark
P.s. is the restaraunt that used to serve breakfast at 5:00am still there. Loved that place.

Mark
I will post something for you tomorrow as to what it will cost for you to take out your son as an apprentice . As for another hunter i dont believe it is an issue since there will only be 2 hunters as you are mentoring your son and not shooting , the other hunter will just have to pay his $ 20.00 for his permitt . As for the Bayside restaurant it has been gone for almost as long as you ! not sure exactly but probably 15 years . Glad to hear people are comming back to the unit we had low water last year but the shooting was great as always . looks like we will have more water this year so it will be easier to get around
Glenn
LPWA Director

Mark
Ok so if you take out an apprentice and you are mentoring and not shooting then only the apprentice will pay and it will be $5.oo and there will be no charge to the mentor . Dont forget that he will need a duck stamp of his own and they will want to see that you have a license and duck stamp too. Hope this helps dont know were you can take a kid for the whole day for 5 bucks !
Glenn
LPWA Director

Glenn,
Thanks for the information. You're absolutely right. Five bucks sounds like a great price for that opportunity.
Too bad about the restaurant. When I started bird hunting I can remember going into that place after selecting your blind for the day and the owner would make you a plate of eggs and line your thermos up with all the others to be filed with coffee before you left. Ray was the guys name I think? Best breakfast and coffee I ever had.
Anyway, I was thinking of bringing my son down with me for the blind camo day. Would this be acceptable, or is the activity restricted to members of the LPwa?
I haven't been in that marsh in so long, it would be good to have a look around before the season begins, and in the pitch dark!
Mark

Mark,
I'll respond for Glenn. The Waterfowl Unit is a managed public marsh therefore membership in the LPWA is not mandatory. However, participants should know that without the support of the LPWA, OFAH, DUC, Delta, etc. there wouldn't be a Waterfowl Unit. Maintaining the small craft channels alone costs thousands of dollars per year that is not paid through user fees.

Mark

As Arnie said everyone is welcome at Camo day and it is a great opportunity for you and your son to tour the marsh . And we can always use help getting the blinds ready and then we have a BBQ at lunch / Look forward to seeing you there 9am at the maintaince building
Glenn

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks