Off Topic Question about an Anchor

Thirstystone

Site Sponsor
R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Anyone know how much a 36 LB. Danforth anchor is worth...In excellent shape...? :unsure:

Took a buddy into Proctors yesterday and a 24 Lb. Hooker anchor was just over 100 bucks. My guess is you can get 150-175 for a 36 pounder. Add more if it comes with chain and rope.

POI; Rule of thumb for anchoring a boat is a 7:1 ratio, so for every foot of water you need 7 feet of rope paid out IE ; 10 feet of water needs 70 feet of rope. I'm not sure about the length of chain counting towards that but it does act as a tug buffer and lets your anchor stay set better.

Took a buddy into Proctors yesterday and a 24 Lb. Hooker anchor was just over 100 bucks. My guess is you can get 150-175 for a 36 pounder. Add more if it comes with chain and rope.

POI; Rule of thumb for anchoring a boat is a 7:1 ratio, so for every foot of water you need 7 feet of rope paid out IE ; 10 feet of water needs 70 feet of rope. I'm not sure about the length of chain counting towards that but it does act as a tug buffer and lets your anchor stay set better.
I though it was a 3:1 ratio

The answer is 7 to 10 feet of rope for every foot of depth. But no one carries 400 to 500 feet of rope for the 60 foot depths.
I purchased a 72" drift bag and keep it in my anchor compartment to let out in the event I lose power. With anchor out and drift bag out it will really slow my drift.

Drift bags/socks are another great item to use too especially if out on deep waters, yes they slow your drift but more important they keep the Bow pointed into the wind. I've used a small bucket tied to my Bow painter once to slow me down while Bass fishing.

How heavy should the anchor be for a 18 foot boat ?

My 17’ boat is easily held in place with an anchor that only weighs maybe 5-6lbs. Cannot recall which style it is but it’s the type that the ring slides to the opposite end for easy retrieval.

Key with getting anchors to hold is a length of heavy chain which prevents the rope from pulling it up.

above source says:
- 1/8" diameter rope for each 9' of boat length
- 8' of rope per 1' of depth
- Chain should be same length as your boat - minimum 10-15' though;
- and chain size should be 1/2 the diameter of your rope.

I agree to the above comments though - anchor without chain is useless in anything other than completely fairweather and temporary conditions.

I have, what I believe to be, a 24 Lb Danforth (spade type ) with 5 feet of chain and 100 feet of rope on a 16 foot Lund tinnie. Spade types are great for digging in to sandy/soft bottoms like around Long Point. My set up may be overkill but come November gales I don't want to find out the hard way I need more anchor. I have considered getting a 10 Lb Mushroom anchor for those calm days due to their ease of use. I also painted my anchor one side Fire Engine Red and the other Gloss White with my boat registration number on it, same goes for other boat equipment minus the red & white paint of course.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks