Pt.Burwell

DaveJ

Ive never gone out of Burwell and want to try this week. have a 22' Trophy Pro and wondering where the best place/best ramp to launch is? I'll likely be launching by myself.

Wow it was NEM for years on here. Now big otter? What gives? Not picking a fight just curious

Wow it was NEM for years on here. Now big otter? What gives? Not picking a fight just curious
NEM is in Port Bruce and is still the goto of the 3 boat ramps in Port Bruce .

The question was for Launching solo at Port Burwell.

Although Port Burwell marina and NEM have same ownership they are not run or supervised the same way. Maybe a result of Covid

Had not fished out of Port Burwell for a couple of years. Last Friday my wife and I drove to Port Burwell Marina to launch. Upon arrival this is what we found:
1) No visible staff anywhere.
2) No washrooms available. My wife was not happy about that. There was a blue coloured Johnny over where you park your rig but when she went to use she was told it was private.
3) At the ramp the middle dock is gone however the steel supports are still in the water and hard to see. I backed into one of these underwater hazards. Fortunately the trailer licence plate took the brunt of the abuse.
As a result we pulled the boat out and drove over to Big Otter. Found numerous friendly staff, decent ramps, Port- A -Potties and ample parking for trucks/trailers.(They have a Gator to transport you to and from the ramp so you don"t have to walk)
Cost 5 dollars more (15 vs. 10) but well worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
you ask the best place to launch your 22 ft boat.. is erieau marina..topnotch facilities & outstanding fishing....glasgow is 2nd best..both ports are fishermen friendly..

you ask the best place to launch your 22 ft boat.. is erieau marina..topnotch facilities & outstanding fishing....glasgow is 2nd best..both ports are fishermen friendly..
i must say I have enjoyed Glasgow this year. The ramps are great, the pay machine for the ramp is easy. I would suggest the same at all ramps but that’s just my 2 cents

Mick--Erieau definitely is my fav port anywhere. I used to keep a boat there and Im on the waiting list for a slip for next year. Glascow is good, but if theres a strong SW wind and its rolling, the marina and the east ramps can be a nightmare with the waves coming right in. I usually go out of Bruce--and Ill also agree Greg and Sam are awesome--Greg has looked after my boats for the last years. They just got screwed over with the bridge thing. The temp ramp while usable is a bit dicey for bigger rigs, and the lineups can make jockeying around...challenging. I was just wanting to try another Port and Burwell is pretty close.

Had not fished out of Port Burwell for a couple of years. Last Friday my wife and I drove to Port Burwell Marina to launch. Upon arrival this is what we found:
1) No visible staff anywhere.
2) No washrooms available. My wife was not happy about that. There was a blue coloured Johnny over where you park your rig but when she went to use she was told it was private.
3) At the ramp the middle dock is gone however the steel supports are still in the water and hard to see. I backed into one of these underwater hazards. Fortunately the trailer licence plate took the brunt of the abuse.
As a result we pulled the boat out and drove over to Big Otter. Found numerous friendly staff, decent ramps, Port- A -Potties and ample parking for trucks/trailers.(They have a Gator to transport you to and from the ramp so you don"t have to walk)
Cost 5 dollars more (15 vs. 10) but well worth it.

I've always used the ramp on the south side, they've never given me a reason to try the one on the north side of the bridge. Is the one I use called Port Burwell Marina?

In 5+ years, and before covid, they helped me launch every time I was solo and provided a ride back and forth many times.

As for the middle submerged dock you hit, well, it is very easy to see.

I'll have to try the other one sometime to compare the two....

It wasn't a submerged dock. The dock is gone. It was one of the metal supports for the dock. No it wasn't easy to see as it was underwater that was the colour of chocolate milk! As mentioned in my post no staff on site.

Ya DaveJ..Glasgow west ramp is the one I & others use for that very reason...Glasgow made a nice improvement earlier this season with the new parking lot west side to accomadate plenty of boats..

Thats great your on the waiting list for an Erieau dock...smart move...you will enjoy that...lucky you..

Theres a photo of the new Glasgow marina parking lot..to handle the volume of all the pro fishermen..lol...and all within walking distance...good on you Glasgow Marina..👍

2020 July 14 am glasgow pics 016.jpg

Back