Pt Bruce Harbour

can't miss

I've been fishing Pt Bruce for quite some time now, always meant to ask but never have? Along the break wall and pier, the heavy boat ties and ladder's, aged, what were they for?
My guess is when the harbor was deeper, shipping grain? Anyone know of fish tug's or other?? tied off there? Just curious?

Thanks for the info, kinda figured the grain shipping, but never would have guessed all the other activities. What a different era, wonder how they checked windfinder and great, great grandfather Horty's lake reports?

@stomp that is quite the history lesson on Port Bruce. I liked the section on logging of the white pine and getting it there to be shipped over seas. The section on firewood being brought down there to be sold to the US and they used a true cord of wood and other businesses.

You're quite the Historian.......great post!!!(y)(y)

never to old to learn something of value.I was wondering if the Whites mentioned were Glen White and family relations of Steelway fame in Alymer.CHEERS

I found a few old photos of Port Bruce and it certainly appears it was busier place at one point in history. Near the end of the 1960's, if my memory serves me right, my dad started Bee-Lin Trailer Park from nothing but a bog along Catfish Creek. I spent a few summers with my 2 brothers working our duffs off making it into a park before he sold it.

Port Bruce Harbour, circa 1909
4312242058_7a6fda58e0.jpg

Port Bruce harbour as it looked in 1896. In the foreground are the two Young Brothers fishing tugs

HARBOUR.JPG

A view of Port Bruce from across the creek, about 1900.The Young Brothers Store is on the right in the foreground and the Rocabore Inn is on the left. In the background are the homes of brothers Levi and George Young, proprietors of the Young Brothers Fisheries.
1900.JPG

The old Wonnacott Blacksmith shop at Port Bruce - courtesy of Marjorie (Wonnacott) Smith of Port Bruce
!cid_44A75CD70BDE4C6282EA6007A4B952F0@muskelunge49.jpg

River View, Port Bruce, circa 1910s. I think this was before North Erie Marina. :LOL:
4311928958_e4d27931a9.jpg

Port Burwell harbour... year?
Burwell.jpg

Last edited:
I can only dream about the kitty runs that must have been there before agriculture and clear cutting caused our local rivers to silt over, go shallow and become polluted. I hear tales about 30lbers not so long ago, biggest I have caught in a few years on the "Here Kitty Kitty" kayak is 22lbs. I wonder what possibilities it had, as an untouched tributary. I would imagine that native runs of salmonids were much, much better as well.

I also read somewhere that Catfish Creek even had sustained runs of Walleye and Sauger up until the early 1900's.

Mr. Marshal of Nanticoke Creek fame gave us a history lesson when he came to North Shore for a visit this past June. He tells of working on a fishing boat at 15 years old out of Bruce. The old white building on the west side of the creek had rooms at 4 or 5 bucks a night. Some, actually most can't be repeated here.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks