Port Stanley Weather Buoy

Bigspooner

Curious as to how the weather buoy is managed - is it removed or just "turned off" for the winter? When does it go live typically? I dont see any data from it on the NOAA site.

Thx all!
Bigspooner

If I remember right it's usually around the first of May generally it's up and running.
The PS buoy also seems to get launched later than the others around the lake for some reason.

I would add, my group Southwestern Ontario Kite boarders has been lobbying Port Stanley town council for a couple of years now to install a permanent weather station at the end of the pier, at no cost to the town... we would provide the station, install it, cover all costs and provide the town, environment Canada and other local groups the live data for free....yet they are stuck on trying to rent space to use for some 3g a year... why are politicians so ignorant?

Just send them an invoice for supply, install and then a monthly bill.
Might be years of enjoyment before the idiots catch on 🙃

the stanley municipality has not been supportive with sportfishing in the community for years..I used there not so good boat launch and parking at least a dozen times..I tried to pay the pay box..but never worked ..never paid a dime..
we use the better user friendly boat launch and other services in the neighbourhood..

heres a little piece of port stanley history
at one time walking fishers frequently fished the community seasonally on the pier and little beach ..especially when the smelt & perch were abundant..there was also 4 to 5 good sportfishing charters docked up in kettle creek..remember the rainbow warrior from st.thomas.. the famous summer salmon search fishing derby went on for almost half the summer, that was a super fun event..and a big erie king would take a new wilker boat first prize... for most of the derbys..

our familys privately owned lake front cottage was down on edith cavell for over 45+ years..I grew up a child fishing on & finally off the shores of stanley..the cohos were some of the best to inspire me to buy a new boat to fish & catch the salmon..ya the lotza of pickerel were a novelty..I and we were so sick of catching eating um by mid july..ya about the same thing today..the gill nets can have um..its been alot of years but i still like fishing the saltwater..

also the stork clubs monster bash was a blast live rock bands and plenty of fun..lotza girls, oh ya I was proud to be age of majority legal drinker at 18 and loving it..

i wont say who.. but it was funny when one of the fisheries dumped all those fish guts in the harbour ...the smell of rotting fish guts did not go over well with some of the residents...not us..

Last edited:
CCGA is in charge of maintaining the weather bouy. Last year it was redeployed on April 6 by the Limnos. Current location shows her inbound to Amherstburg so likely inbound to do a service run down Erie.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks