Fishing Report Port Stanley - Monday, May 27th

snaapz

The weather, wind, and waves today were super favourable, ended up swapping my Friday vacation day for today!

I'll get to the point, no fish! I had as much luck today as I did yesterday with @Trevor M outta Bruce!!

Got on the water at 9:30 and off at 3:30.

I trolled all day, I kept my speeds at 1.8mph

1. Starboard I trolled a dipsy #1 with a 5' fluro lead and a harness with a wonderbread blade and a live night crawler.
  2. Port I trolled various deep diving bandits and rapalas, also off of a 5' fluro lead.

WHAT I DID TODAY
  1. No more than 1KM west of the beach I started off in 20 FOW and worked my way to 35 FOW. No real marks, no hits. Gave up after 25 min and moved.
  2. Moved to about 40FOW and headed south fir about 25 min. Nothing.
  3. 11:30 Lunch at Mackies
  4. Headed towards the pump station and started in 25FOW and headed south. Nothing.
  5. Made the 15 min trek to 60 FOW, got my lines in and headed south. Nothing.
    1. No bait, no marks, nothing!!

It was a nice day on the lake!!! Not sure I'll want to waste another entire day here.

Some guys, not sure if they are on this form, told me they caught some about 4miles east in 35 fow on leadcore; their dipsys produced nothing (they had the same white/plastic/reflective dipsy that I was using.

Platform/dock is still covered in water; a bit slimy/slippery too.

Other than a few marks, my entire day looked like this. NO BAITFISH (unlike july/august where I constantly see schools of bait)

The tugs were all out today, some dissappeared into the horizion; some stayed close. There were quite a few nets laid, one was started shallow, no more than 200 meters straight out of the lighthouse (no pictures).

Maybe they know something we don't? Maybe the perch are close????

Attachments

• DSC06333.JPG
    DSC06333.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 28
  • DSC06357.JPG
    DSC06357.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:
A bad day fishing, especially with your kids when they're young, is still better than a good day at work, and in general, a bad day fishing is still better than pretty much, anything. The smile on your son's face says it all. He had a blast and that's the most important thing. No fish? Oh well, it's early still. Fishing is a game of patience as much as it is a game of chance. Even the most experienced out there get skunked once in a while. We all know they're coming in numbers soon. There is no way you're going to get skunked all summer.

That was me and my buddy in the little blue tinner at the launch ;) There were certainly some fish out there in that dirty water. I'm sure I woulda had a decent box of fish if I had more time today but gotta sleep sometime between midnight shifts :D

A few more weeks and you won't be able to keep the eyes off out there.....

Josh

The weather, wind, and waves today were super favourable, ended up swapping my Friday vacation day for today!

I'll get to the point, no fish! I had as much luck today as I did yesterday with @Trevor M outta Bruce!!

Got on the water at 9:30 and off at 3:30.

I trolled all day, I kept my speeds at 1.8mph

1. Starboard I trolled a dipsy #1 with a 5' fluro lead and a harness with a wonderbread blade and a live night crawler.
  2. Port I trolled various deep diving bandits and rapalas, also off of a 5' fluro lead.

WHAT I DID TODAY
  1. No more than 1KM west of the beach I started off in 20 FOW and worked my way to 35 FOW. No real marks, no hits. Gave up after 25 min and moved.
  2. Moved to about 40FOW and headed south fir about 25 min. Nothing.
  3. 11:30 Lunch at Mackies
  4. Headed towards the pump station and started in 25FOW and headed south. Nothing.
  5. Made the 15 min trek to 60 FOW, got my lines in and headed south. Nothing.
    1. No bait, no marks, nothing!!

It was a nice day on the lake!!! Not sure I'll want to waste another entire day here.

Some guys, not sure if they are on this form, told me they caught some about 4miles east in 35 fow on leadcore; their dipsys produced nothing (they had the same white/plastic/reflective dipsy that I was using.

Platform/dock is still covered in water; a bit slimy/slippery too.

View attachment 14372

Other than a few marks, my entire day looked like this. NO BAITFISH (unlike july/august where I constantly see schools of bait)

View attachment 14379

View attachment 14380

View attachment 14374

View attachment 14375

View attachment 14376

View attachment 14377

The tugs were all out today, some dissappeared into the horizion; some stayed close. There were quite a few nets laid, one was started shallow, no more than 200 meters straight out of the lighthouse (no pictures).

Maybe they know something we don't? Maybe the perch are close????

View attachment 14381
No fish caught by the both of you,but by the looks of it,you and your son still had a great time on such a beautiful day.Also a great report @snaapz with excellent photo’s!! I believe that I was parked beside you today,after looking at one of your photo’s that you posted of your vehicle and your boat trailer.I launched my boat in the second photo,(just kidding),and I never did bring my boat today,(I was visiting a friend in Port Stanley),but I took a photo of this truck & boat package that was just ready to launch.What a nice boat for the the Great Lakes!! I wonder how they made out fishing today? The boat ramp did look quite slick,and the water was also high and over the boat dock,(photo),as you also mentioned.The Canada geese with their young ones,didn’t seem to mind the high water,and you also posted a photo of the boat dock from today.The next good day for Lake Erie,I will be bringing my boat,and I can’t wait!! Tight lines & walleye’s & perch on!!

Attachments

• 6337A146-1448-4905-AA4E-66B98F5731B6.jpeg
    6337A146-1448-4905-AA4E-66B98F5731B6.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 69
  • 32333200-0ABA-4A8F-B16C-FB61799DF9F6.jpeg
    32333200-0ABA-4A8F-B16C-FB61799DF9F6.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 77
  • FB8896F3-4DB7-439B-B0FB-10A30B4FE70A.jpeg
    FB8896F3-4DB7-439B-B0FB-10A30B4FE70A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 75
  • FF151967-4ED2-48A0-86F5-E2D7BCBED247.jpeg
    FF151967-4ED2-48A0-86F5-E2D7BCBED247.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 62
Little farther west yet. Worth the drive if you want to have busy lines. Will pick up this way in the next 4 weeks. A day on the Water is a day away from work, so still a WIN!
@willisride that will be my plan to go a little more to the west,but not too far (off Port Glasgow),when I get out on lake erie this year for the first time.?????

@Josh Roelofsen - Wow what are the odds!! I'm glad you had some action and thanks for sharing where and how you caught em!

@Red Hering - Double Wow what are the odds! I saw that rescue boat at port too, so ya we must have been close! I think I have an idea of what you look like based off of your other posts; I'll be sure to watch for ya and you'll know if I'm there now (Red ford escape).

I'll be hoping for another relatively calm day next week to get out again. I'll be sticking to that area for the rest of the season now for 'Eyes, theres enough fish there to keep me occupied! No sense driving any further than I have to for a cooler of fish :)

Josh

I have a season parking pass, so Port Stanley will be my home 95% of the time.

I try to get out every Sunday and I have almost every Friday booked off until the end of September; but like yesterday... I'll swap my Friday vac for Monday if the weather is ideal. I'll also start evening bite during the week once the eyes show up.

See ya out there!

I posted on the Lake Erie Facebook group too. I want to share this comment that was left, just like Josh said above... head East.

Was out on the weekend just east of you and got into them pretty good. 16 to 25 fow running 10 jets with harnesses and stick baits off boards . We picked up a 2 man limit 3 guys .
Just gotta find the schools and stay in them . Early in the year the shallower and slower you go the better . 1.2 to 1.5 was the money ,

I have a season parking pass, so Port Stanley will be my home 95% of the time.

I try to get out every Sunday and I have almost every Friday booked off until the end of September; but like yesterday... I'll swap my Friday vac for Monday if the weather is ideal. I'll also start evening bite during the week once the eyes show up.

See ya out there!
I am sure that we will meet @snaapz one day on lake erie especially once the walleye’s will show up in greater numbers from the west all the way to Port Burwell,etc. There was only one other small car and a smaller boat trailer parked in the other parking lot yesterday,(May 27/19),in port stanley,and I wish that I would of brought my boat because it was such a beautiful day.I expected it to be busier,and it can be a busy boat ramp in port stanley,especially when the sea -dos,etc.,show up once the water temperatures become warmer.Good luck to you and your son the rest of the fishing season’s,and walleye’s ON!! ? ???:)

Seen your FB post @snaapz. Give it time. Walleye are heading this way. I especially liked the first reply once again Americans jabbing us for commercial boats. Hate that $#it

I left pretty much every facebook group I was in that had anything to do with fishing. I got tired of the "get off your ass and do your own leg work," and the " MY fish.....MY lake or MY river" BS......the only fish you own are the ones you catch yourself, or the ones you buy, unless of course one is fishing on private property (with permission) where the owner in fact does own that little pond, or that little stream that runs through it. Otherwise, any of the great lakes, and their feeding rivers and creeks are public domain otherwise none of us would be permitted to fish them.

If you don't want to share your knowledge, then don't, but don't be going off on ppl that are asking questions, because no matter how much information you give, that still NEVER guarantees others will have the same success you have had, and THAT is why I think this forum is by far the best one out there for getting information that may improve your general fishing knowledge, and therefore your success.

I've learned more on this forum than I ever have in the FB groups. Everyone here is willing to share their knowledge and if there is anyone who isn't, they must be keeping to themselves, because I haven't once seen a post where someone is asking for information and another member has gone off on them telling them to "do their own leg work, MY fish, MY lake, MY river" like you see in FB groups.

Now all that said, I saw your post too, that is the one fishing group I'm still in on FB, but I had it "semi ignored" because it wasn't fishin season lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I left pretty much every facebook group I was in that had anything to do with fishing. I got tired of the "get off your ass and do your own leg work," and the " MY fish.....MY lake or MY river" BS......the only fish you own are the ones you catch yourself, or the ones you buy, unless of course one is fishing on private property (with permission) where the owner in fact does own that little pond, or that little stream that runs through it. Otherwise, any of the great lakes, and their feeding rivers and creeks are public domain otherwise none of us would be permitted to fish them.

If you don't want to share your knowledge, then don't, but don't be going off on ppl that are asking questions, because no matter how much information you give, that still NEVER guarantees others will have the same success you have had, and THAT is why I think this forum is by far the best one out there for getting information that may improve your general fishing knowledge, and therefore your success.

I've learned more on this forum than I ever have in the FB groups. Everyone here is willing to share their knowledge and if there is anyone who isn't, they must be keeping to themselves, because I haven't once seen a post where someone is asking for information and another member has gone off on them telling them to "do their own leg work, MY fish, MY lake, MY river" like you see in FB groups.

Now all that said, I saw your post too, that is the one fishing group I'm still in on FB, but I had it "semi ignored" because it wasn't fishin season lol.
A l

best part of this site is 99% no drama. Couple others I’ve been in and/or left just ridiculous..... good group of people in here. ??

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks