Port Glasgow - 09/03 (or Port Glasgoooo)

G.Mech

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
We went out of Glasgow today and it's getting pretty green out there; quite disgustingly green. Surprisingly, the fishing was still half decent but I can't see it lasting with the amount of algae coming in. We managed 5 eyes and 2 bows and lost a bunch more in 60-66 fow S-E of port. The fish were all down deep including the bows, I'm guessing they don't care for the green goo either. A 12 lb sheephead was fun to add to the mix too.

Beware of the toxic green goo it's almost to Burwell now and getting worse:

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/mo...sub&image=t1.15246.1550.LakeErie.143.250m.jpg

They know how to stop most of it but its a political battle that would be hard to win. Runoff from todays farming and industrial practices still amount to the majority of these blooms. Too much phosphorus and other nutrients overloading the swallow part of lake erie. Combined with the summer heat and warm water temps and BLOOMVILLE.

This isn't a whole lot different than the lake in the 60s...same conditions from sewage and phosphates dumped by industry. In 1972 the United States and Canada signed the Great Lakes Water Quality Agreement, and both countries agreed to cut back on the amount of phosphorus that made its way into Erie’s waters. Guess its back. Cities are once again having to shut down their water intakes...oh, guess where Londons water comes from...15% from Erie.....

They know how to stop most of it but its a political battle that would be hard to win. Runoff from todays farming and industrial practices still amount to the majority of these blooms. Too much phosphorus and other nutrients overloading the swallow part of lake erie. Combined with the summer heat and warm water temps and BLOOMVILLE.

Have to agree with you about the run off from agriculture fields. A couple of years ago the farmer plowed the field behind us in the late fall which he usually left until spring. With the severe winter along with high winds it forced 2-3 inches of soil across much of the backyard from the bare field and a lot found it's way into my above-ground pool. When I opened it in the summer the pool water was saturated with phosphates from the soil which cost me $200 in chemicals to get rid of. Now I wrap the pool with shrink wrap hoping to avoid that happening again.

My point is if the soil still contained that much phosphorus in the winter long after after the growing season has finished how high is the level after they dump on tons of fertilizers in the spring? Then imagine what happens with the run off from thousands of fields with heavy rains? Whatever goes on those fields will sooner or later end up in the lake and in the ground water including wells. Many of the farms also load the fields with liquid pig manure which contains much more dangerous components than phosphates and believe me that ends up in our lakes as well. I don't know what the answer is but it's obvious this problem is not going away anytime soon.

Knowledge is powerful, I little bit of knowledge is dangerous.... Don't be so quick to blame to food producers. There will be a lot of hungry people in the world if we stop the use of agricultural fertilizer. It is not like farmers put fertilizer on for the fun of it. It is really expensive to buy, and they will not intentionally over apply it. There are a lot of reasons that phos levels would still be high in the fall. If the growing season was dry, drought... Then the plant will not take up the phos, and thus, what the farmer put down in the spring will still be in the ground that fall. He did not intentionally put too much on in the spring, just that the plant did not use it because of the growing conditions for allow it to be taken up by the plant. I am not a pool expert, I have never had one so this is not a sarcastic question, how do you know that it was phosphorus that was I your pool? Did you do send a sample away to be tested?

Two giant honey wagon's have been running steady here, for the past couple days, from the pork factory a couple miles down the road to wheat stubble field past our place. 1000's of gallon's surface dumped/sprayed liquid shit. They were still spewing their green/grey load's even after it started to pour rain yesterday afternoon? Rained hard enough here, the drainage ditch that splits the stubble field, and empties into the Thames, is flowing this morning, it had been dry for the past few weeks.
But I'm sure no liquid shit sitting on the surface ran off into the ditch, or drained in threw field tiles?? Guess it's just the cost of doing business, hope pork prices are good?

That is not agricultural fertilizer. That is shit. There are better ways to apply manure, you can inject it for one, you can till the field after apication..... The other question I would ask..... What exactly would you like to see done with manure? I am guessing you like to eat meat?

I'm not blaming anyone @fish4fun just stating a well known fact, a lot of phosphorus among other things does come from agriculture run-off. I have many farmer friends who will admit such privately but of course won't publicly for many obvious reasons. As I stated I don't know what the answer is and we already know the government doesn't know either. Like many things it's just the price we pay to have the comforts of life we do and yes many more would starve if not for the agricultural practices and technology used in farming today.

As for the phosphates in my pool water, yes I did have it tested and yes it was full of phosphates from the soil off the field. After I fully cleaned the pool which was no easy task and had the 12,000 gal. of water crystal clear I knew there was a problem. I was losing chlorine faster than my salt generator could produce it which has never happened before. The moment I told the pool place about all the mess I had to clean from the field soil they knew immediately what the problem was. They tested my water sample for phosphates and sure enough it was saturated which eats chlorine faster than you can imagine. They said it was common when living close to fields where soil can be blown into the pool on windy days.

Fish4fun, yes I eat meat, way to much according to Doc. And before we get off on the wrong foot, I grew up on a 35 head dairy op. on a 160 acre's or so. Add the fresh calves and heifer's, maybe 50 head top's. If I recall correct, manure was a commodity we never had enough of ?
Today's factory farms, 600 milking ,or 2000 hog's, or 10'000 fat bird's, all on the same acreage, how can that work for waste management??
Been off the farm for many yrs, but still live in the rural, I have raised my own beef, pork and poultry, but can,t
do it anywhere near for what I can buy store bought protein. Don't know the answer, but we can't keep flushing it down the Thames, to keep the share holder's happy?

Back