Port Dover Perch Derby

grangb2

Will be in Simcoe Saturday. I have never fished Dover before. Looks like it will be real windy... But if not, is it worth the trip? Take the boat or fish from shore, and either way, where to fish and what to use? Any recommendations appreciated... thanks!

forecast for cold windy and wet, suggest you leave the boat at home 'fish off the piers.
Parking can be a problem, unless you are there early .
A lot of the locals, including myself are there before daybrake.

Since it's no big secret spot or technique I'll try and help here. Generally your basic dropshot rig, i.e. Pickeral rig. Replace the hooks that come in the package with good quality hooks, those hooks are long shanked and crapolla, I like a shorter shank Mustad or Gamagatsu, they are razor sharp out of the pack. Stay on the small size. Red hooks are lucky for me, fish are supposed to colour blind. But for sure toss the hooks strait into the garbage . Also tie them with no more than 6 pound fluorocarbon. Minnows (emerald shinners) can be tough to find in Dover, we always load up before we get there or net our own. As for location we never fish the pier. On the opposite side of the pier which would be east of the Lynn River is where we head. The rocks next to the Coast Guard station is best, they don't mind you crossing the grass to find a spot. No shoulder to shoulder fishing like the pier. That's not to say the main pier isn't productive but I find when it's not the channel coming from the marina is. @meridian is right, not a sunny forecast. I would however bring the boat, launch at the Port Dover Yaught club and work the channel from the end of the clubs last dock all the way to the exit to the lake. It is protected from the wind. As of last Thursday the club was closed, call ahead, there are no other ramps in Dover you can launch from.

Good fishing, and get one with a tag.

Johnny D

I see your new here, best to introduce yourself before you start, asking for hot spots and techniques on your 2nd post isn't the way to start here or on any forum. Like I said perch fishing in Dover is no big secret. Welcome and I hope to hear how you did.

The main marina probably isn't open to the public yet. Only people who moor their all season would have the password or code to open gate.

if the marina is open, gates open at 8am ,unless you want to sit waiting for a seasons pass holder to come in,
then you just follow them in.
Gates open at 7 am after V ictoria day weekend.

I thought this site was the place to go for advise on fishing long point apparently whatsthepoint needs to be introduced personaly before you can ask a question

RKS,

This site is about much more than getting tips on fishing spots and techniques for those spots .It's more about BS ing and meeting new people than finding out where the fish are and what to usex. Most sites it's against the rules to talk about specifics like the poster requested. I think it is here too. Just think about it, someone posts about having a banner day on a local small group of ponds, and 2 people reply but 2300 read the post. I don't think we have 2300 members here. There are lurkers cruising the internet wanting someone to slip up and divulge a nice pond they fish. A few dozen people show up and limit out, then it's a few hundred and in a few weeks that pond is fished out, simple as that. I wasn't trying to be an asshole. We all know Lake Erie isn't going to be fished out so for the big lakes everyone shares tips but not exact spots. I have had guys ask me GPS coordinates that's not happening. Actually thinking about it I screwed up and gave him too much info and I know I'm probably going to be in the dog house for a while. I talk too much. Come to think about it there aren't any perch in Dover.

I see your new here too, welcome aboard. After a while you will get it, took me a while as well as I was new to this site and hadn't been on a fishing site in years. I know you will enjoy the folks here.

Thanks for the info folks... Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers... Felt like it was a pretty innocent question looking for some assistance...

My feathers:chicken: are unruffled. My guess is that with all the cold weather, it might be a tough go from a boat or the pier. The pier is a pretty easy fish if you can get a good parking spot and might be a good way to spend a couple of hours. Based on the lack of reports here, maybe there has not been much caught yet?

Hi all, I've fished the area last spring, was wondering if anyone had pointers on where to get shinners before heading down. Last year I had to go to a farm to find some. Thanks!

i belive there is a place to get shiners at the marina just beforew you cross the lift bridge into dover on 6 south . i remember seeing a sign there. if your coming from hamilton bills bait and tackle on the moutain @ james and mohawk has them for sure.

Funny you mention Wells, they store my boat, Mrs. Wells was telling me they are reducing the price from 450K, they turned down $850,000.00 in 07'. Ouch, they don't have minnows as of Monday past or any good luck.

We net them right off the pier in front of the furniture store early in AM.

Back