Port Burwell

I don't know about anyone else, but I calibrated all my braid and mono line counters. I don't bother with my leadcores even though they have counters. Wire divers I didn't bother as that's too much of a pain with the wire. If I found one that was out by 40 feet I think I'd relegate it to the downrigger rods. I have 8 mono or braid counters and not one of them has been out more than a few feet on the first 100 foot. accuracy drops the more line out but 40 feet out would drive me nuts.

I think people would be shocked ...if they put stakes in 100 ' apart or 50' if small yard like me ....then attach line and see what counter says when they walk back 100 '.....i had reels reading anywhere from 75 - 125 '....so I calibrated all my dipsy and rigger reels

As for dipsy divers ....I have always used walker deeper divers ....witch is same size as dipsy with ring on.....i basically go with 1/3 rule....on # 3 setting.....so 150 back should be 50' give or take few feet.

I did this last year. 100 foot tape and did the walk a number of times for each rod/reel. Instead of calibrating, I put a # on each reel and in pocket pad, I have a chart that says # = the ratio based on 100 ft =? ft . 1-1, 1-1.25, 1-.90 etc.

Usually only refer to it now if what I'm doing isn't working.

My two cents input.
I think as reel manufacturer recommended is to keep (have) a reel with a big spool and keep it filled with line, if you want accurate numbers.
Braid is thinner and more prone to get undercount.
Mono more close to a real measurement.
Have fun and be safe.
Tight lines.

Back