Port Burwell may 10

flightdelay

Well we had our minnows and heading out to Burrell with my buddies new pro line to go see if we can't get some perch in the boat. On the water about 730 and were marking fish in about 42 fow but didn't manage to bring any in. The wind picked up and had about 1m waves, but moved to another spot marking fish and managed to get 3 nice jumbos in the boat, but very slow bite. Waves were increasing and the wind was supposed to pick up later on so with the slow bite and about noon we decided to start putting in seeing if we couldn't mark another school....but then we noticed the bilge wasn't working and the waves were coming in the back of the boat up to 1.5 m lifted the hatch at the back and she was pretty full, boat wouldn't plane.. We made er to the mouth of the channel ( which was shallow and had the dredgers out thankfully) because the motor quit and we were blowing pretty good. Thanks to those boys they came out with Jon boat and 9.9 pulled us to the wall and we managed to get the kicker going ( after the pull cord ripped out my buddy put a rope around the flywheel and she started right up) with some fuel and into the ramp ! What a day good to be out there and nothing too major to fix but interesting day to say the least..

Wow... bilge not working in rough seas can be very dangerous, I know. Many years ago I started using 2 big bilges in my boats just for that safety reason and believe me when the day comes when your 10 miles out you'll be really glad you installed them. If a freak storm comes up then you also have 2 bilges working to get rid of water quickly if waves are breaking over the sides or rolling over the back. Most boats come stock with a single 500 GPH bilge that's adequate for some excess rain water but won't even begin to keep up with the amount of water created from breaking waves. I call 2,000 GPH bilges minimum but I like 2 of them working for me.

good call whitetail , i need a new automatic bilge this year and the old one still work but the floats gone so im gonna leave it in and use it for back up! glad to hear you made it safe and sound flight delay could of got ugly fast, though bad luck, there was luck on your side

good call whitetail , i need a new automatic bilge this year and the old one still work but the floats gone so im gonna leave it in and use it for back up! glad to hear you made it safe and sound flight delay could of got ugly fast, though bad luck, there was luck on your side

Smart move chef you won't regret. Hopefully you'll never need it but if you do, you'll be happy you have that extra bilge. :happy:
Just one added note... if you install the new bilge with an automatic float switch then I would hook the old one to a manual switch. It will always work if the float switch ever fails, just a thought.

Yikes... I can say from first hand experience, there is nothing quite like finding water up to the floorboards:eek::drowning:. Thanks for sharing that story.

Yea glad we made it in with that 40 degree water it wouldn't have been a nice day for a swim.. But as for the bilge it was working fine last weekend, But yes I'll be installing another in my boat this year as I wait for the marina to have my dock ready for sure.

good story, and good lesson. with less experienced boaters this story might have read "OPP rescued stranded boaters" as we have seen a few times this year already.
glad it all worked out, and i bet it made the perch taste even better!

Thanks 4 sharing that story...l'm glad all is safe & well & no damage done...A gud reminder 4 all boaters of the dangers that r just waiting 2 get u,,,,,b careful out there...

Back