Port Burwell Fri. 21st

I agree ...looks like a rainbow in the picture.

no big deal....nice catch
...I misjudge salmon and bows from time to time, when quickly landing and boxing fish, but have to double check once things slow down ..don't won't to go over limits of certain species by mis identification. trout limits on lake O are 2 of each species while salmon are 5 except atlantics

Actually If you have more than a total of 5 Trout, Salmon together you are over your limit.

yes you are correct...combined total is 5,
but limit of salmon(chinook, coho) is 5,
rainbow is 2, laker's 3, on lake Ontario, so if you thought they were all lakers and kept 3 and they were trout ...you are over your limit and would get charged....same if you thought they were salmon.

other day when I had double header...I never saw the fish my friend landed....he said it was small chinook and thru it in the cooler....I landed a 10 lb bow and he boxed it as I was driving.....we then had another double header of bows....then things slowed down...so we decided to take pictures and discovered his "salmon " was a bow and we were at our rainbow trout limit.....minutes later had another double of bows which we released....then changed depth and then got a couple coho.... you never want to misjudge your species as it could get you into trouble.

Lakers aren't silver at all, they're grey ;)They are also nearly unheard of in the shallower portion of Erie west Long Points tip due to unsuitable summer water temperatures. I'd definitely do a little reading about species identification. No one should be harvesting fish they can't identify IMO.

Josh

If it helps..........Rainbow has a pure white mouth, Salmon have black and white gums, plus it has lots of other distinct markings.

Back