Fishing Report Port Bruce - Pickerel - July 4th

Joey D

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Launched from a relatively quiet NEM around 6:15 this morning. Planned to rip out to 69’ but with the heavier than expected offshore rollers we stopped in 58’, setup and trolled south. We turned back once before the Lake settled down and were done at 10:30 going 13/14 on walleye. We released a nice healthy fish when pulling up the gear.

We caught fish on #1 dipsy’s at 59-71’ out on 3 settings with nascar and lights-out spoons, a nascar deep-down husky jerk (until an unfortunate battle with the biggest sheep head in the lake was lost), then on a black and gold walleye-stinger. A 3-colour leadCore with a yaleye mooneye minnow in goby pattern got a couple too.

Glad to see some numbers showing up in Bruce as I never fish any other areas of the Lake. Should be a good summer. 4BA05D5A-5EAF-40BE-B6D3-3D526C36C161.jpeg

Launched from a relatively quiet NEM around 6:15 this morning. Planned to rip out to 69’ but with the heavier than expected offshore rollers we stopped in 58’, setup and trolled south. We turned back once before the Lake settled down and were done at 10:30 going 13/14 on walleye. We released a nice healthy fish when pulling up the gear.

We caught fish on #1 dipsy’s at 59-71’ out on 3 settings with nascar and lights-out spoons, a nascar deep-down husky jerk (until an unfortunate battle with the biggest sheep head in the lake was lost), then on a black and gold walleye-stinger. A 3-colour leadCore with a yaleye mooneye minnow in goby pattern got a couple too.

Glad to see some numbers showing up in Bruce as I never fish any other areas of the Lake. Should be a good summer. View attachment 24768
What depth was best if you don’t mind

We caught them from 59-64. Last few came quick and they were in 63’.

We were thinking about headed out that way, I have never launched at NEM, or west of TP for that matter. I was wondering about parking, ramp fee, and launch times, if you don't mind.

NEM has lots of parking, $10 ramp fee and I have gone out as early as 5:30 a.m. I have seen many people pay on their way out if no one is around when they launch.

Thanks for the report..you really slayed them..donyou get many bows out that way..

Most years I Only catch a couple rainbows. Today was my 6th outing of the year and the only one I haven’t caught at least one ‘bow. So there are either more than normal around ‘Bruce this year or I’m just having an unusual year. I’ve released them in the past but have been treated to a few really nicely smoked ones recently, so I’m glad we kept a few. Nice to mix it up from the fried fish from time to time.

Yeah @Joey D seems to be lots of bows around right now. I talked to a few guys at the gas station when filling their 24 ft. or so fiberglass boat how they made out today. Said he fished Glasgow got only 8 walleye but 12 bows and lost a few besides. By the way good fishing. (y) :)

Nope, @Wave Runner is limping everywhere @stomp ;):LOL:
Hey on Thurs. I didn't have one of those Scotty Orcas seated properly so when I yanked the rod for a fish the rod holder came out with it then flew up into the air. I bent over the side still holding the rod in one hand trying to grab it with the other before it hit the water. I had a couple of tips back up into the air like one of those football player's dynamic catches before finally pulling it in for a fine one handed catch just before it hit the water. Hey not a bad move for a bruised and scraped up 71 year old with bad knees and swollen hip blackened with a bruise the size of a soccer ball from that big tumble onto the dock about an hour before. ?

No more than I usually limp on my bad knees but still a little sore and stiff from the fall. However... I'm ready for Monday to give perch a try at Port Bruce, if we can get minnows from NEM or Rush Creek. ?
I'll look for you IF I end up on the pier Monday. Haven't decided yet which day(s) I'm planning to head down yet.

Hey on Thurs. I didn't have one of those Scotty Orcas seated properly so when I yanked the rod for a fish the rod holder came out with it then flew up into the air. I bent over the side still holding the rod in one hand trying to grab it with the other before it hit the water. I had a couple of tips back up into the air like one of those football player's dynamic catches before finally pulling it in for a fine one handed catch just before it hit the water. Hey not a bad move for a bruised and scraped up 71 year old with bad knees and swollen hip blackened with a bruise the size of a soccer ball from that big tumble onto the dock about an hour before. ?
You are a warrior...great play by play..you really need to be careful...

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks