Perch port bruce?

Quinn

Any recent Port Bruce perch outings? Going to head out tomorrow evening and will make a report of my findings, just wondering if there’s a depth or location to start at?

Thanks for any feedback.

Won’t have time for a run out to the Sandhills

Answered this post in the wrong thread, so will try again. There have been 3 fishing tugs working the water 1 1/2 miles west of the pier in about 33 to 45 feet of water for the second day in a row. We can see the flags from the cottage deck at Waneeta Beach, which is at the west end of Port Bruce. The nets are running north/south. Very seldon see three tugs dropping nets in the same area, especially that close to shore and that close together.There must be some reason. Just saying. They would be out from shore just where the cliffs start west of Port Bruce.

There were 4 tugs working the Pt Bruce area last week and yesterday. Setting nets in close a mile or so beyond Waneeta from the pier, then they were going east and laying nets down by the windmills. So they've been laying nets on both sides of the pier in close north to south out to about 1km or so. They've been dropping them close like that for a couple years now but this year was the first time I've seen 4 tugs working the area. Mackies made a post on FB last week saying they're running out of yellow perch for their menu because the commercial boys told them last year was a terrible year for them, and they expected this year to be worse, and that "they were right" because they can't find'em either. But that many tugs working both sides of the pier in Pt. Bruce that close in, they gotta be getting something.

As for sport fishermen. Some have said they're having luck out from 3 trees in 30-50 fow when they were coming in from the lake.

Thanks guys.

You would think that many nets would be yielding something good or they wouldn’t be so condensed.

Thanks guys.

You would think that many nets would be yielding something good or they wouldn’t be so condensed.
or it could be they're just going back to where they've had great success before. They've been laying nets where I've seen them laying them for at least the last 5 years if not longer west of Pt Bruce.

Hearing reports of heavy nets of pickerel that are only 6’ below the surface. Maybe us anglers are fishing too deep in the central basin. I haven’t been able to catch more than 3 on a trip yet out of Bruce this year. Seem to be more rainbows around than normal too.

Hearing reports of heavy nets of pickerel that are only 6’ below the surface. Maybe us anglers are fishing too deep in the central basin. I haven’t been able to catch more than 3 on a trip yet out of Bruce this year. Seem to be more rainbows around than normal too.

Attachments

• 3B8E80DC-65D8-4486-8753-95C2A4EC6665.jpeg
    3B8E80DC-65D8-4486-8753-95C2A4EC6665.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 67
Back