Perch in Goderich - Spring Fishing at Port Franks

jasonstein99

Hey all, thanks to everyone on this site for their input. Last year was my first year fishing the Great Lakes, and this site helped me have a very successful season! Last year I did not start till the long weekend in May but I just had canvas made up to enclose my boat at the front and sides to make it that I can get out there earlier. Now I'm chopping at the bit! Lake Erie is where I had the most success last year, but I live closer to Lake Huron. I'm thinking of getting out Friday or Saturday and I'm thinking of going to Goderich if it was time for perch? (but i'm thinking i'm too early still) OR to Port Franks.

If we go to Port Franks from the info I have gained and from last spring I take it the fish will be in the top 25 ft. of water? Spring Coho is probably the most likely? We did get 4 there quite shallow last May 24 weekend.

Id love for any tips for either place. I have never gone perch fishing but Goderich is my closest access point.

Thanks,
Jason

Attachments

• IMG_7748.jpg
    IMG_7748.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_2871.jpg
    IMG_2871.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 142
Was in Goderich Sunday no minnows no perch only 2 boats out .river very low and clear

The Perch window seems short. When they're there, you'll see a big cluster of boats one day and none a few days later.

The Perch window seems short. When they're there, you'll see a big cluster of boats one day and none a few days later.
Ya, I have been told that. I know from others that on April 15th last year they were there, on that nice hot weekend we had in April. I'm guessing there is no point in trying there this weekend yet.

@jasonstein99 I have a buddy in Goderich and he says he has just seen a few boats out in the lake and does not think the conditions are even close to prime for Goderich. As @Lvj was saying "no minnows" then that could be a problem.

Nice boat by the way and an even nicer shop/garage it's stored in. It's off topic but I'm just finishing a 30 X 60 shop for my toys and I'm not decided yet on the interior ceiling and wall covering. Don't know what to do, pine for the rustic look, steel or the type of plastic material you seem to have on the ceiling and walls in your picture. Can you tell me what that material is please. It looks good!

Bluewater Salmon Derby early May, check out the tabloid for tips! I’m in Algonquin Park this year so will miss the derby but it’s usually good fishing for the month of May in tight, then you have to go deeper! Also check out Port Franks charters Facebook page, or spend a day fishing with them for tips, he’s got a sweet boat and knows his stuff!

Goderich perch as mentioned above! Fun when you get the timing right!

Goderich Camera's.
The 'Cove' was working a couple days ago, appears to be down ATM.

We where out a couple days during that last 'warm' spell. River mouth area was 38-39F, boat channel was 40-41F, perch grounds it was 35F.
Buddy caught a couple 6ish lb Smallies, I got 1 eater Brown.

Rumors of a 'few' minnows under Tug, we didn't see any. Haven't heard of any spotted any in Bayfield either.

NEW - Launch Fees.
Daily-The Town is installing a Machine at the launch ramp. The same Security Company that patrols Beach Parking will be patrolling & ticketing at the launch ramps.
Seasonal- Pay at the Town Hall. You'll need your Vehicle & Trailer plate info.

I am 30 min from Goderich but every year I still miss the perch by a few weeks

Thanks all, I'm heading to Port Franks this afternoon, even though it's going to be chilly! I was told the fish are up high, top 15 ft. And I have a map from one of the fishing derby's of some spring fishing spots so we will see how it goes. I have never been out this early.

As for my garage ya I love the stuff. You can wash down the whole garage and don't have to worry about it getting wet. I'll have to ask the name of the stuff and I'll post it here.

Thanks all, I'm heading to Port Franks this afternoon, even though it's going to be chilly! I was told the fish are up high, top 15 ft. And I have a map from one of the fishing derby's of some spring fishing spots so we will see how it goes. I have never been out this early.

As for my garage ya I love the stuff. You can wash down the whole garage and don't have to worry about it getting wet. I'll have to ask the name of the stuff and I'll post it here.
@jasonstein99 did you manage to get out to Port Franks in the afternoon the other day,like you had mentioned that you would be doing? I have never fished this early in the year off the Port Franks area,( that I can remember),but my outboard motor on my boat is now repaired since last week,and I am looking forward to be Coho & chinook salmon /rainbow fishing soon off the Port Franks area,weather permitting. Thanks in advance,for any information that you may provide.

@jasonstein99 did you manage to get out to Port Franks in the afternoon the other day,like you had mentioned that you would be doing? I have never fished this early in the year off the Port Franks area,( that I can remember),but my outboard motor on my boat is now repaired since last week,and I am looking forward to be Coho & chinook salmon /rainbow fishing soon off the Port Franks area,weather permitting. Thanks in advance,for any information that you may provide.
Red they are catching some fish straight out of the mouth 15-20 fow. Spoons on riggers or flat lining your favourite lures has been working. Fish are in tight right now with the cold water temps

Red they are catching some fish straight out of the mouth 15-20 fow. Spoons on riggers or flat lining your favourite lures has been working. Fish are in tight right now with the cold water temps
Fantastic news @zzguffy901 👍 and thanks for your time & especially for the great information! Tight lines & Fish ON!! 🚤🎣👍🙂

@jasonstein99 @rcfire77 Thanks guys. Really appreciate the info on the wall covering. If you can confirm @jasonstein99 that it is called trusscore as @rcfire77 is suggestion I'd really appreciate it! I think it's likely pricier than steel would be but I think it looks great!

I'll check in over the next little while.
It’s manufactured in Palmerston about 15 minutes from me. I have it in my driveshed and our walk in cooler.

Hey all, sorry I'm a bit late on the replies. Ya it is truss core (the material in my garage)

We did get out to Port Franks on Friday. It was cold out (5 degrees) and choppy but with my new enclosure on my boat it was not bad at all.

Getting out of the rivermouth was about the worst part as the waves were breaking hard on each side and it sure is not deep going out there.

Once we got out we started trolling almost right away and headed south. We were using crankbaits with no divers as I had been told to try in the top 15 ft. of water. The water temperature was 39 degrees, and we had no luck the first while. I then decided to head south closer to the elbow on Ipperwash Beach. The water temp went up to about 42 before reaching the elbow and we picked up 2 coho. Then closer to the elbow the water temp went back down and for a while it was quiet. We were in about 10-15 ft. of water most of the time. I was going to head out to a bit deeper water along Kettle Point when we hooked up on a really good fish which jumped and somehow broke my line! That was disappointing as I was sure it was the best fish of the day! At that point, we took a few more trips through that area and back along Ipperwash beach before getting one more real good hit but losing the fish and heading back in after about 3-4 hours.

It was great to get out again. I also have never been out that early. Any tips from anyone would be great. I was told to try to find warmer water and greenish water with decent visibility but it was a bit rough and we did not head out too far.

Attachments

• IMG_2891.jpg
    IMG_2891.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2895.jpg
    IMG_2895.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 84
Hey all, sorry I'm a bit late on the replies. Ya it is truss core (the material in my garage)

We did get out to Port Franks on Friday. It was cold out (5 degrees) and choppy but with my new enclosure on my boat it was not bad at all.

Getting out of the rivermouth was about the worst part as the waves were breaking hard on each side and it sure is not deep going out there.

Once we got out we started trolling almost right away and headed south. We were using crankbaits with no divers as I had been told to try in the top 15 ft. of water. The water temperature was 39 degrees, and we had no luck the first while. I then decided to head south closer to the elbow on Ipperwash Beach. The water temp went up to about 42 before reaching the elbow and we picked up 2 coho. Then closer to the elbow the water temp went back down and for a while it was quiet. We were in about 10-15 ft. of water most of the time. I was going to head out to a bit deeper water along Kettle Point when we hooked up on a really good fish which jumped and somehow broke my line! That was disappointing as I was sure it was the best fish of the day! At that point, we took a few more trips through that area and back along Ipperwash beach before getting one more real good hit but losing the fish and heading back in after about 3-4 hours.

It was great to get out again. I also have never been out that early. Any tips from anyone would be great. I was told to try to find warmer water and greenish water with decent visibility but it was a bit rough and we did not head out too far.
Congrats on a couple fish! If you don’t mind me asking how much was the enclosure and where’d you get it done? I priced one out awhile at Dixie but the price tag was too steep for me.

Congrats on a couple fish! If you don’t mind me asking how much was the enclosure and where’d you get it done? I priced one out awhile at Dixie but the price tag was too steep for me.
I priced it out a couple of places online and they were looking for $2000 plus. But I live in Mennonite country and found a guy only a few mins from me close to Milverton that it it for $1000. He's a part time farmer, part time leather and canvas guy but I'm very happy with the quality of it. Sure makes a difference in prolonging the season!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks