Penn Warfare Reel

Corey06

Does anyone have any experience with the Penn Warfare reel? I was looking to get a few for my dipsy diver set ups. I had ordered 3 Penn Warfare reals in the size 30, unfortunately when I received them I was sent the wrong model as they did not come with line counters. The company was going to take them back and send me the correct reel with the line counters unfortunately they don’t have any size 30. They have the size 20 which can apparently hold more then enough braid for my application. I have always used a size 30 reel for my dipsy diver set ups, anyone think there would be any issues with using a size 20? Not sure if there’s anything different on the internals of the reel.
Thanks

I have one penn reel -squall. It is size 20 and it is almost the same in capacity as my other okumas in size 30

All my reels I use for dipsy diver are 20warfare. Like Centerspin said, there the same size as in okuma 30 convector. Personally I have never felt the need to use anything bigger for trolling Erie walleyes.
If I remember correctly the warfare have a little faster gear ratio (5.1:1)compared to the okuma convector(4.3:1) as well.

I have one penn reel -squall. It is size 20 and it is almost the same in capacity as my other okumas in size 30

yeah that was one thing I did notice is thus the line capacity is close to most of the size 30’s I do have. I was just wondering if there would be any issues with the drag and pulling dipsy divers. I would assume they would be fine as they seem very well built.

I have size 30 Warfares and had to put a ton of backing on before the braid, so you should be just fine with size 20 for Lake Erie

I have a 20 and thinking replacing all my reels with Warfare's great solid reels and when ever i've used a dipsy, it worked great

Reactions: jrr
I have both Penn warfare sizes, the 20's are for my dipsys and up to 5-6 colour lead. My 30 has 10 colour on it. One difference is the 30 only has a 3.9:1 vs the 20 which has the 5.1:1 ratio. Almost wish it was reversed when reeling in all that lead...

Hey guys first post here but have always been active on other forums. Have read lots on this forum in past. Mostly summer fish walleye out of Bruce and rivers from sept through may. Anyway i have owned Penn Rival 30's for leadcore which i sold due to just being to bulky and replaced with penn squall 20's which are great. For any fans of the Penn Warfare I just ordered 4 of the RH LC 20s for 89 a pop on sale a few more days at tackle depot canada. Too good a deal for me to pass up as I want to switch to all penn for my trolling reels. Also yes the better gear ratio on penns 20's is nice while still being compact and feel great in hand

Size 15 will do it for Erie and you can put almost 300 yds of 50 lb braid on them

I have 4 of them and I love love them

Hey guys first post here but have always been active on other forums. Have read lots on this forum in past. Mostly summer fish walleye out of Bruce and rivers from sept through may. Anyway i have owned Penn Rival 30's for leadcore which i sold due to just being to bulky and replaced with penn squall 20's which are great. For any fans of the Penn Warfare I just ordered 4 of the RH LC 20s for 89 a pop on sale a few more days at tackle depot canada. Too good a deal for me to pass up as I want to switch to all penn for my trolling reels. Also yes the better gear ratio on penns 20's is nice while still being compact and feel great in hand
I also ordered mine from tackle depot, couldn’t pass up that deal!

Does anyone have any experience with the Penn Warfare reel? I was looking to get a few for my dipsy diver set ups. I had ordered 3 Penn Warfare reals in the size 30, unfortunately when I received them I was sent the wrong model as they did not come with line counters. The company was going to take them back and send me the correct reel with the line counters unfortunately they don’t have any size 30. They have the size 20 which can apparently hold more then enough braid for my application. I have always used a size 30 reel for my dipsy diver set ups, anyone think there would be any issues with using a size 20? Not sure if there’s anything different on the internals of the reel.
Thanks
I have 20's for erie and 30's for ontario salmon fishing.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks