Opinions on new boat

W

whitetailhunter

I found this new boat just out of storage for sale by a dealer that seems to be a terrific deal at this price. I listed the information below and would appreciate any input as to whether this boat would be a good choice in your opinions for Great Lakes salmon, trout and walleye fishing. I know little about PrinceCraft boats or this particular model other than I heard they are quality built. I priced this boat out on the PrinceCraft website equipped exactly and it was $47,196 including freight & prerig. This boat has been heavily discounted because the 200 hp Merc is a 2008 model, however it is brand new out of the crate with a full 3 year factory warranty. If I go for a new boat I want one very capable for rough water and this one appears a little shallow in the hull to me. The boat I really want is the Lund 2150 Baron but at $85,000 + tax, uh NO. Maybe you know this model so just interested in your thoughts on this one, thank guys.

New 2013 PrinceCraft Xpedition 200WS (20' centerline - 92" beam)
New 2008 Mercury 200 hp Optimax (w/full 3 year warranty)
New 2013 custom tandem galvanized trailer w/disc brakes/swing tongue (4259 lb.)

Options:

* complete stand-up top w/tonneau cover & full curtains $2,079
* Sea Star hydraulic steering system with tilt wheel and slider for captain's chair upgrade $1,046
* heavy duty trailering cover $1,168
* 200-watt AM/FM/CD/Bluetooth Clarion Stereo compatible SAT $574
* SmartCraft gauges (speedometer, tachometer and trim) upgrade $743
* bicycle seat package w/27 " post $176
Complete discounted package deal $35,454 (plus HST)

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

2013Xpedition200WS-DessinTech.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
With nobody fishing and it being such a long winter this should be a interesting thread."I like my Lund,i like my Sylvan,i like my Ranger,Legend,Grady,Starcraft,Whaler,Seaswirl........Whatever you get enjoy.

With nobody fishing and it being such a long winter this should be a interesting thread."I like my Lund,i like my Sylvan,i like my Ranger,Legend,Grady,Starcraft,Whaler,Seaswirl........Whatever you get enjoy.

o_O Man... that was really helpful, uh-h-h... did I miss something? :confused:

Don't know much about different boat makes myself, but figure they are all decent or they wouldn't be still in business. My self I have a 17 foot seanymph,(never heard of that model till I bought it),with a 70 hp Merc and I take it out of Burwell and Dover regularly and have found it handles well. My opinion is it depends on your skill/confidence level as an operator, also knowing when to get off the lake when the weather acts up. This boat should do what you want to do with it. Just my 2 cents. Below is a picture of my boat, similar style to yours but just a little smaller.

Attachments

• IMG_0778.JPG
    IMG_0778.JPG
    811.8 KB · Views: 53
Don't know much about different boat makes myself, but figure they are all decent or they wouldn't be still in business. My self I have a 17 foot seanymph,(never heard of that model till I bought it),with a 70 hp Merc and I take it out of Burwell and Dover regularly and have found it handles well. My opinion is it depends on your skill/confidence level as an operator, also knowing when to get off the lake when the weather acts up. This boat should do what you want to do with it. Just my 2 cents. Below is a picture of my boat, similar style to yours but just a little smaller.

Thanks for the reply @preacher. I was just wondering if someone out there has this particular model of PrinceCraft who can give me first hand a little more insight on how well it handles in rough water. I have 48 years experience of boating on the Great Lakes and through those years I certainly learned when to get off so that's not an issue. I'm at an age where I need a boat to handle gracefully instead of a bucking bronco when the lake blows up suddenly without warning. Over the years I've had far too many very uncomfortable 15 mile rides getting pounded in order to get to the dock, you know what I mean?:inpain: I need long, wide and deep with air-ride seats so I can go ya-hoo! bring it on. :D:happy:

Don't matter what kind of tin boat you have if you got decent size waves you are going to have a bumpy ride they all pound if you try and go fast if you want to cut waves start looking at glass boats aluminum is lighter bobs around like a cork but that can be good too take it easy and ride it in it will get you there just my two cents

I don't know much about the boat other than you listed. A 92" beam seems a little narrow?

Nice boat choice, however if for some unknown reason you or your spouse or family need to sell it next year, they are selling an8 year old boat. That's just the way I look at things.
If you're truly set on this boat then bargain some more because you will end up with a BRAND new 8 year old boat that should be trouble free and will give you lots of enjoyment.
My feelings about rough water are simple-- stay home. I have a 22.5 footer and 3 footers beat every one up. You can't control a troll in rough water. Nice boat though. Cheers

Princecraft boats are made in Quebec. I enjoyed my used 2000 Princecraft Pro-Series 164 for 5 years before the rivets started to fall out. The hull warranty is only 10 years so the manufacturer would not cover the repairs. The hull is not designed to give a smooth ride however a 20' boat will be a little smoother than a 164. I replaced the Princecraft rivet popper with a new fiberglass fish and ski model with an Optimax motor. The Optimax performs flawlessly......a little noisy though.

Very very nice looking boat but hearing the above comments about it their must be something that alot of people don't like. I watched this exact boat get listed 10 times last summer/fall on Kijiji and even debated if it was something I was interested in. I ended up just settling for a smaller brand new 16' lund as I don't fish big water.

Having owned and run an Optimax, 2004 150HP, I have to say you will be happy with the economy and power of this motor. The smartcraft gauges are a wonderful thing, they can help you find your most fuel efficient setting, warn you when something is not right, and if they have the troll control, reduce of increase your RPM in< I think), 100 rpm increments. Regarding the 8 year old boat statement by @GPS the smartcraft gauges will tell on start up how many hours are on the motor, and the on-board computer will store any faults the motor has had. making the prospective purchaser a lot less leary on the health of the motor. He does have a point regarding bargaining a bit more if you can.
Regarding the princecraft hull, I cannot give an opinion as I am not familiar with the brand. I do like the layout, though.
Best of luck with your decision!

BTW @whitetailhunter, your avatar is disturbing, cute but disturbing ;)

Last edited:
Unless Princecraft has changed their hull design which doesn't look like it from your pics, the hull turns down at the transom. What I am saying is the transom is very shallow. It also cuts the transom down further to accommodate a short shaft motor. Its hard to tell this from the pic you have posted. A shallow transom in big water can lead to nothing but trouble, especially if you lose engine power and are adrift in heavy seas.

As far as the Optimax goes I have two friends that fought with Mercury to have their Opti's replaced due to never ending problems. I personally have been out on both of their boats when these stupid engines fail and leave you to somehow try to get to shore in 'safe' mode....No problem when its calm water but not so much fun when in three footers.

As others have posted if you want to get away from being pounded in rough water a glass boat is the only way to go. I have owned Lund's, Legend's, StarCraft and have been on many other tin boats and they almost all handle the water the same with regards to ride. Pound Pound Pound.

If you really want to go aluminum the only way you are going to get away from the rough ride is if you break the bank and go high end. Stanley, Hewescraft, etc. or go glass. With that being said Lund is also a great boat but the ride still sucks compared to glass.

If the deal is so good why is it still for sale???

JMHO

It sure is a pretty boat, I have a Bud that has a 18' Princecraft and he has had zero hull issues, and he runs it full out in 1 meter chop. I do notice that both the beam and draft look small for a 20 footer. She looks too flat and narrow. I'd go on some big US boating sites to get the skinny on this model. Google the model then forum, you should get a few sites and comments.

That 200 4 stroke will be awesome. The price for this rig looks great, same length in a Crestliner is 10K more I bet. See Doug or Larry at Proctor and get a quote for a Crestliner at 20' and a 200 Optimax. I would compare the beam and draft of other makes and compare the results. I just think she looks too flat for the big water here. Looks like a great river or smaller inland lake boat, not a deep "V" for sure.

Why has it not sold at that price?

I don't care what you have 6 foot waves will kill your back in any length aluminum in the 20' range running as slow as 20 mph.

Good luck WTH, wish you luck. Personally I wouldn't go with it for the big water here.

I don't want to be around the first time anyone kisses the dock in a new rig, especially 40 grand worth of shinny and new.

Edit, you sure can get a lot of used for 35K. A Lund Le Baron might be still in your future, used though. Nothing wrong with a well kept used rig.

Last edited:
If I was in the market to buy a boat now, it would probably be gone before you got back to make a deal.nice boat for a great price.ya the motor is old but brand new with warranty. Does the boat have any warranty? I've heard stories about rivets popping and welds cracking on other boat I was researching so warranty would be a big factor for me.i had a tracker 16' and pounded it so hard it cracked in 3 places they honoured there lifetime warranty and gave me a brand new boat because the couldn't fix it.

Thanks for the input everybody. After some review checking and watching the performance video below I realize this boat isn't for me although I still think this a great buy for someone whom this boat is a good fit. It's too shallow for me on big water and I'm not interested in fiberglass. I've had them before, yes they do give you the best ride but I trail all over the place and they are way too heavy for my liking. Being retired I don't want anymore $300 gas bills between the truck and boat for a day's fishing on Lake Ontario. Been there done that and that's why I went aluminum years ago, as Scrimmy found out, half the fuel puts a smile on your face.:)

I think you have made the right choice to pass WTH. I don't like the way she dolphins (can't spell the other word for Dolphin ) porp something on a 12" prop wash from the camera boat. Maybe Princecraft thinks it's a selling feature to launch the boat completely out of the water, 100% airborne. Not for this guy. She wouldn't be suited for the big water of the Great Lakes. She sure flies though, literally.

Now time to find you a used Le Baron for less than 35K. It's what I do to keep my toys, broker deals, put people and deals together. Right @chefboyardee?

I don't know much about the boat other than you listed. A 92" beam seems a little narrow?
I agree with you Big Dave, I have a Tracker V175 that is 3 feet shorter but is almost 6 inches wider. I personally believe that the wider you are the more stable you are in all conditions.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks