Okuma reel?

Thats great Ben @Crummybun ya @Wave Runner can reccomend lead core options for brand, size, and leaders and knots and so on...
you can also stop in to Lambeth rod n tackle and talk to steve...he will spool you up off the machine with leadcore.. tie your knots and put your leader on...I have used his lead core for years...his fresh stock is quality and never had a issue..I bought that 30D okuma from him and spooled it up with 12 colours of the micro..I have given that shop plenty of business back to the George days...the prices are very reasonable...especially his selection of silver streak spoons..he orders big from michigan offering the customer value..
but hey if angling sports is your goto they will spool you up too..

Last edited:
Thanks @mick, never been to lambeth before. Brantford is lacking the selection that angling provides. Always interested in checking out "new" to me shops. I think that's what I'll do. Thanks again

congrats @Crummybun on getting your okumas from fellow member @Wave Runner ...ya those reels look almost brand new...wow was that easy or what to post a thread about okumas and get them just like that..good for you...

hey @DSfishy happy to read you like Diawas...so do I...my sealines 27H levelwinds have been trouble free for 34 years of fishing seasons...they still look good and work flawlessly...
I have owned my 2 shimano spinning reel stradic 3000s since they come out...they both had to have the seals replaced for water penetration seizing up the reels preventing them to crank..Shimano fixed that serious problem years ago eliminating the anti reverse feature where the water was penetrating..

I am buying 2 to new stradic CI4 4000 XG FB for this season ...unless I take a good look at..Diawas Ballistic LT 4000 D-C which is there highest end spinning reel... competing with the middle of the road shimano stradic CI4 4000 XG FB anyway the shimano is $10 more priced at $239.99 U.S dollars...ya the diawa has a little more line capacity and 26.4 lbs of drag where the shimano is 24 lbs of drag...after physically checking them out..you knows i might go with the diawa...nice thing is shimano is made of carbon fibre/graphite and diawa is cast aluminum both weighing under 8 oz...thats incredible technology for a 4000 and with heavy duty drag...
I have a Stradi ci4 I bought with a used rod. To be honest I would put it head to head with the fuego ANY day....at less than half the price. As another side note my buddy has a Quantum smoke S3, likely the smoothest reel I have ever used.

Thanks @DSfishy I really appreciate your input...I have done enough online research on the 4000 to 5000 size spinning reels specs...and matching steelhead salmon rods to match...I will be going instore to physically check out reels & rods...I am going against the grain and use spinning equipment for erie downrigging...and yep some guys even capts. say it won't work...sooner or later you will end up with line twist & tangles...not with the stradics...I have spent miles & miles with my stradics off the ball deep trolling including lakers & salmon...and no line twist/tangles.. my years of experience with the stradics they do work from erie rainbows to owen sound chrome to algoma deep water lakers & specs every season...and its a pleasure catching fish with light spinning once you get that knock off off the ball..thats what i am looking for...line capacity is important...with also the best quality line...gamma has been my goto superline for my stradic spinning reels for years...6 & 8lb test in moss green...I will be bumping it up to 10 lb..

I get it you don't like shimanos price..most don't...it was interesting to see the deep sea sportfishing boats in ecuador & costa rica with new shimano level winds for sailfish & marlin...Penn was always the world leader in saltwater sport fishing especially big game...Ya the Penn International series reels & rods are still a favourite...some captains are putting out the extra coin replacing Penn with Shimano reels...

Last edited:
my own personal experience. Coldwaters are superior to convectors and worth the money. my own experience with the Okuma Magna is not good.....have blow four of them up in recent years when under strain. you likely need the 45's for 10 colour...gives you plenty of room for backing and line.....they are a bit heavy I will agree and i have not spent alot of time testing against other manufacturers product. they have served me well for alot of salmon and walleye....i use the 30 coldwaters with 15lb mono on the riggers for walleye or braid on the dipseys.

Thanks @DSfishy I really appreciate your input...I have done enough online research on the 4000 to 5000 size spinning reels specs...and matching steelhead salmon rods to match...I will be going instore to physically check out reels & rods...I am going against the grain and use spinning equipment for erie downrigging...and yep some guys even capts. say it won't work...sooner or later you will end up with line twist & tangles...not with the stradics...I have spent miles & miles with my stradics off the ball deep trolling including lakers & salmon...and no line twist/tangles.. my years of experience with the stradics they do work from erie rainbows to owen sound chrome to algoma deep water lakers & specs every season...and its a pleasure catching fish with light spinning once you get that knock off off the ball..thats what i am looking for...line capacity is important...with also the best quality line...gamma has been my goto superline for my stradic spinning reels for years...6 & 8lb test in moss green...I will be bumping it up to 10 lb..

I get it you don't like shimanos price..most don't...it was interesting to see the deep sea sportfishing boats in ecuador & costa rica with new shimano level winds for sailfish & marlin...Penn was always the world leader in saltwater sport fishing especially big game...Ya the Penn International series reels & rods are still a favourite...some captains are putting out the extra coin replacing Penn with Shimano reels...
No problem. Spinning gear on riggers? Can I ask why?

sure @DSfishy
well for one light linning action and with spinning reels high gear ratio line pickup works well for downrigging..I need marine weather to be calm winds so to cut down any or no resistance.. having direct contact connected with rod tip to fish

its my experience its been alot of fun catching salmon & trout with light spinning in the past off the riggers...just some of my best fun off the riggers was catching deep king salmon out at owen sounds thompson hole on 8lb test on a 7ft berkley medium action IM8 graphite..my exgirlfriend same rod/reel so were running 2 rods off 2 riggers and last time we caught our 10 salmon limit ...salmon size are not what they use to be...most salmon are under 12 lbs...so are erie rainbows most under 10 lbs..me and buddy target and have fished erie rainbows alot using our spinning stradics..buddy B wentzell uses a stradic 4000 on his loomis steelhead rod and i use my 3000 stradic on my classic kunan ML steelhead 9ft rod..we have had a couple days hooking over 25 trout..once glasgow with a few cohos mixed in and the best numbers ever was wheatly a couple times...where it really pays off is picking up that line fast with a trout hitting the slider..I want the 4000 if i go the stradic route...there is the little older stradic FK 5000 but i don't like the specs compared to the newest stradic 4000 improvements...
I wish we had a local fishing store that I can look at the spinning reels and rods I see online fishing USA ... its to bad le baron is gone that business was a good one and some of there prices were incredible...if you have any fishing stores that might have a selection of reels and rods could you please mention it...I called angling outfitters...they don't sell shimano...theres a bait shop in wallaceburg that deals shimano...its frustrating to see all this equipment online and not being able to touch it....

sure @DSfishy
well for one light linning action and with spinning reels high gear ratio line pickup works well for downrigging..I need marine weather to be calm winds so to cut down any or no resistance.. having direct contact connected with rod tip to fish

its my experience its been alot of fun catching salmon & trout with light spinning in the past off the riggers...just some of my best fun off the riggers was catching deep king salmon out at owen sounds thompson hole on 8lb test on a 7ft berkley medium action IM8 graphite..my exgirlfriend same rod/reel so were running 2 rods off 2 riggers and last time we caught our 10 salmon limit ...salmon size are not what they use to be...most salmon are under 12 lbs...so are erie rainbows most under 10 lbs..me and buddy target and have fished erie rainbows alot using our spinning stradics..buddy B wentzell uses a stradic 4000 on his loomis steelhead rod and i use my 3000 stradic on my classic kunan ML steelhead 9ft rod..we have had a couple days hooking over 25 trout..once glasgow with a few cohos mixed in and the best numbers ever was wheatly a couple times...where it really pays off is picking up that line fast with a trout hitting the slider..I want the 4000 if i go the stradic route...there is the little older stradic FK 5000 but i don't like the specs compared to the newest stradic 4000 improvements...
I wish we had a local fishing store that I can look at the spinning reels and rods I see online fishing USA ... its to bad le baron is gone that business was a good one and some of there prices were incredible...if you have any fishing stores that might have a selection of reels and rods could you please mention it...I called angling outfitters...they don't sell shimano...theres a bait shop in wallaceburg that deals shimano...its frustrating to see all this equipment online and not being able to touch it....
Hamilton. Bills and fishingworld both carry big shimano spinnig reels.

sure @DSfishy

Natural Sports Kitchener. You can order online if you don’t want to drive. If you don’t see what you want online call and ask for John or Ryan. Typically they can order what you want.

Thankyou very much you guys for the info..I really appreciate that positive response...that gives me some hope now to find what i am looking for..

Attention @SIX-GRAND could you tell me what Bills (store) is. I am not familiar with that quote...please and thankyou

is that Bills bait....I just googled a Bills fishing store in hamilton

Last edited:
@mick... I am seriously thinking of changing out my level winds on my riggers for Penn Clash CLR4000 spinning reels. They are highly rated for being smooth as silk and tough as nails and at just over $230 they are a lot of reel. I just think it would be more fun cranking in walleye and bows unhindered by all the extra crap we go through with the heavy rigging. Time for a change! ??

Hi @Wave Runner thanks for the penn spinning reel model "CLASH"...I just got off the Penn official website checking out the Clash specifications...yes the 4000 model is plenty of reel....the 5 star reviews are also impressive...now thats another reel for me to look at and seriously consider....Penn clash highlights no line twist....just wondered where did you price the over $230 cost..
change is good Wave Runner....(y)

Thankyou very much you guys for the info..I really appreciate that positive response...that gives me some hope now to find what i am looking for..

Attention @SIX-GRAND could you tell me what Bills (store) is. I am not familiar with that quote...please and thankyou

is that Bills bait....I just googled a Bills fishing store in hamilton
Bills bait&tackle. Upper James st.

just to mention another option to go lighter equipment for rigging is a bait caster reel...theres quit a selection to choose from...some have line counters...gear ratios are high for line pickup...my buddy jeff uses one on his boat loaded with braid...I still have my sights on the stradics..

@Crummybun... I have 2 Okuma Clarion CLR-454D Line Counter reels that are higher end than the Cold Water. They both have 300 yds. of Power Pro 20 lb. backing and will hold 10 colours of 27 lb. lead core with a 25 ft. fluorocarbon 20 lb. leader perfectly. The drags are flawless on them and both lightly used reels are in excellent condition. I no longer use lead core as these old arms don't like winding in 10 colours anymore so if interested shoot me a PM. ?

View attachment 13308

View attachment 13309

View attachment 13310
I would be interested in the clarion reels if he isn’t. Love them

I actually bought a few ML Medium Light downrigging Rods paired with smaller counter reels. Daiwa Accudepth model ACDDR802ML. They are indeed on the lighter side of medium and much more fun on Walleye. Just still trying to figure out why you’d want to use spinning equipment to go lighter if there are options like this, obviously to each their own. I do certainly understand trying to do everything to make light fighting fish as sporting as possible (ugghum Walleye). This is precisely why I only employ things like dipseys and planer boards unless it’s necessary. I ALWAYS try to catch fish with other means that will allow me to use a lighter trolling rod before employing these methods. There’s not much fun in reeling in 3-4 lb Walleye on a 10 foot pool cue dipsy rod.

Sorry @Eyeliner just picked them up. Thanks again @Wave Runner, was a pleasure meeting you and learning a few tricks. Look out walleye! Ben
It was a pleasure meeting you also... however still wondering if your patient wife tore your ear off for making her wait in the vehicle for 1 1/2 hours while we shot the breeze. LOL!! :giggle:

Last edited:
Back