Fishing Report ok boys and girls listen up

highhopes

we have to start keeping and eating silver bass there getting to be a pain in the ass lol fished out of burwell this morning started in 48ft it was 63 degrees went to 65 ft 66 degrees ended up with 27 silver bass and at 350 and 450 ft back my arms are falling of lol all the bait are in close did hear chatter on the radio getting some out in 68 ft

nope lost two big somethings the way the day was going probably silvers hooked in the tail lol not a lot of marks when the wind picked up a bit I thought the bows might turn on but notta

They taste great when you don't have a platter of perch or pickerel beside them! :ROFLMAO:

we have to start keeping and eating silver bass there getting to be a pain in the ass lol fished out of burwell this morning started in 48ft it was 63 degrees went to 65 ft 66 degrees ended up with 27 silver bass and at 350 and 450 ft back my arms are falling of lol all the bait are in close did hear chatter on the radio getting some out in 68 ft
Only caught one silver today.

we have to start keeping and eating silver bass there getting to be a pain in the ass[/QUOTE

Here's the tough question though, are what you referring to as "silver bass" actually silver bass, or are they white perch? Contrary to what a lot of people think, there is a difference and they are different species.

upload_2016-6-25_18-53-8.png upload_2016-6-25_18-53-23.png

The one on the left is a silver bass; the one on the right a white perch.

Silver bass---->the front dorsal fin is shorter than the rear dorsal fin, the slope from the front dorsal fin to the eyes/head is more gradual, it has dark spots in horizontal lines, often faint and irregular and second anal spine is distinctly shorter than third. The average size in length: 20-30 centimetres (8-12 inches)

White Perch---->the front Dorsal fin is the same size or larger than the rear dorsal fin, the slope from the front dorsal fin to the eyes/head is sharper colour variable usually with pinkish cheeks and chin with no obvious spots or stripes, the second and third anal spine roughly equal in length. The average size in length 15-25 centimetres (6-10 inches)

The good thing about these two fish is they are not regulated. No limits, no season, you can catch as many as you want whenever you want.

The not so good things, there's a lot of'em and when you're out for Yellow Perch, Walleye, Rainbows, Bass etc, and all you're catchin is these buggers, or they're cleaning your hooks, although still fun to catch, it can be frustrating because they aren't what you're after. They are ok to eat, but they are just that, "OK" nothing special and not nearly as good as what you're out after.

Hi I went out from Port Bruce this morning, first trip this year. Started in 40 feet and went out to 55 feet. Silver bass every where in the water column. They hit every lure I put down. I reeled in 2 fish on one pole with a cheater, TWICE. LOL

I stated they are a nuisance junk fish .and a few guys returned a few replies saying they are great eating....i ate them...they are not a good eating fish....they are not even worth the effort to catch and clean and cook them...there was a thread last season on how good sheephead tastes...one guy said it tastes like lobster....no thanks.. i am not going to eat sheephead

Last year the silvers were bad...Now I think they have ruined are sport fishing out here in this part of the central basin...think about there numbers...and then think about all the bait going to feed them...i am glad I don't have a dock...i can go where there won't be any or as many ...for now its inshore fishin for me west of stanley and east of wheatly...i hope to get navionics this week

Last edited:
they are not a good eating fish....

you're entitled to your opinion Mick and you're not alone

on the other hand there are some that will disagree as you stated in your reply

silver bass are native to lake erie while white perch are not---between the two can see where they could do a number on the bait fish

As with most things we eat, IF you know how to cook, the seasonings and spices to use, how high the heat should be, you can make anything taste good. It's all in the mind. We all have different tastes and we are all picky about what we eat. For example, some like asparagus, broccoli and cauliflower, but won't eat corn, peas or carrots. Some things we eat are an acquired taste. The more you eat it, the more you convince yourself it's not all that bad until eventually, you like it. Fish of any species is like that. I won't eat salmon, but I will eat tuna. I won't eat mussels or oyster, but I will eat shrimp, lobster, calamari and scallops. I prefer Yellow Perch and Walleye, and although I have eaten Pike, Arctic Char, Lake Trout, Whitefish, White Perch, these species are not my favorite and I will not do so again, but for me what it all comes down to is, do I feel like cleaning something I don't really wanna eat? Nope, then it goes back because that's the law.(unless it's an invasive species like the goby, then I don't put it back, I kill it)

Arctic Char shore lunch beside the Artic Ocean is great. Never had anything better!
Lived in Yellowknife for 17+ years, much like the Northern Pike, you could say I became spoiled due to availability lol.

What I said I think says it all.

They don't taste horrible
But they sure as in hell don't come anywhere near perch or pickerel!!

Therefore they are no good!

That's my opinion!!
The wife's dad and uncle go fishing for silver bass like most of us go fishing for perch
They were showing me pics catching double headers just pumped about it.
To each their own!

I bet if we were all going hungry because silver bass taking over all the fresh water fish we wouldn't have anything bad to say about them
just eat them

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks