Ojibwa on the way ?

Yes I hope they dredge after too, appears to be mounds of sand in the channel

DSCF3054.jpg

The mounds of sand are on shore (which is part of the river bed) and there is a tonne of work to do to clean it up after the sub is in which I really hope they do because the 30-40 trees they ran over with the escavator to get in position to dredge looks horrible . Do you Know what the plans are to clean up the harbour G.Mech ? they can't be leaving it the way it is ? One thing I noticed from going to check out the sub, there is a seawall on the west side of the river that is about 30' from the current riverbank to bad it was neglected for so many year looks like it was once a very large harbour before it filled in with sediment

boatnonumbers.jpg

I would like to thank Denali custom rods, The Rod Glove,X-zone Lures, IMA Lures and Numa Optics for their support

Firstly, I want to be clear that what I post here is only my personal opinion and observations and is not endorsed by the Elgin Military Museum or the Project Ojibwa Team for which I have been volunteering for over the last while.

I did some research into the questions surrounding the dredging, cleanup, permits and such before I left tonight. I was told and I firmly believe that the Department of Fisheries, MNR, MOE, MOL and all other government agencies necessary have permitted, blessed and been involved in the work being done including the additional dredging work undertaken this week. I have personally seen some of the folks on site over the last few days. With that being said, I am not certain that a private individual or company would be afforded the same latitude that this project has been given if we were building a private marina instead of a government supported, high profile project.... again, this is my personal opinion only and not any sort of offical statement if you get my drift.

As far as cleanup goes, they are already starting to tidy up the west shore including the area of trees mentioned by SRT8. There is actually an entire slipway buried over there that was used by the coal ships in the old days which went quite a distance up into the existing river bank. The stern cables currently holding the barge are actually tied to the old cleats in the canal and will hold the barge in place until the sub is offloaded. The barge is currently across the river on an angle and the entire river at this point is dredged to 10+ feet deep which is far deeper than it was before. I share your concerns but I'm also sure the spoils against the west bank will be cleaned up, that the affected areas will be put back in shape, and that there will be an overall improvement to what was there. Other than the area that had to be dredged due to the problems, I think you will see that the rest of the site is pretty well groomed and I would fully expect the rest will be dressed up in a similar fashion.

Okay, now for today's update. As I mentioned in my earlier post, the sub is sitting on the SPMT"s (self propelled mobile transporters) but still on top of the barge. Each transport has 42 axles & 4 wheels per axle which works out to 336 wheels which all steer, lift, and drive. The transporters self level and automatically raise up and down to share the load between them which will prevent the sub from buckling in the middle. The ramps off the barge are done, and the mats for the wheels to run on were being placed when I left tonight. All is set for tomorrow morning offload. I have posted a pic of the offload sequence document which explains how the whole thing was SUPPOSED to go which is still essentially correct except for the snags of course:

100_0296.jpg

100_0328.jpg

100_0334.jpg

100_0336.jpg

Thanks for the reports and pictures G.Mech. This is definitely a once in a lifetime kind of event.

With regards to the work permits, I have to agree with you - ya, this project did get way more than its share of latitude....

I really hope that it gets cleaned up. But at this time of season, there's going to be a lot of exposed soil and unless they have sediment control measures in place, it's all going to get washed into the creek or lake.

WR

First wheels are on solid ground!! Good time to head down for a look.

The Ojibwa hit solid ground at 1:55. Still has the 500 metre journey down the roadway but it's almost home.

Just wanted to thank you for the continued reports. It keeps us working stiffs in the loop and I think you are doing a fantastic job. Thanks again and keep up the good work.
Jeff

It is a bit of letdown getting so close without landing the Ojibwa on her bases but for some reason which seems highly classified, she stopped about 100 feet from the barge and never moved again. We have been told that the remaining move overland will start again at 8am in the morning.

I have a pretty good idea what the problem is but don't want to upset the applecart....

I got some awesome pics today which I will post when I get to a real computer. It was an awesome thing to see.

quote:
Originally posted by fishbone2

Just wanted to thank you for the continued reports. It keeps us working stiffs in the loop and I think you are doing a fantastic job. Thanks again and keep up the good work.
Jeff

Well, to be honest, I'm a working stiff too and I only booked a couple of days off last week to help out. My boss has now lost his sense on humour and I have to go back to work in the morning myself. I have a feeling I may feel sick around noon however and be back to see her land once and for all!!

Thanks for the kind words and accept my apologies for all the typos in my reports from the site. Fat frozen fingers, failing eyesight and Blackberrys do not make for top quality reports...

quote:
Originally posted by G.Mech

quote:
Originally posted by fishbone2

Jeff

Well, to be honest, I'm a working stiff too and I only booked a couple of days off last week to help out. My boss has now lost his sense on humour and I have to go back to work in the morning myself. I have a feeling I may feel sick around noon however and be back to see her land once and for all!!

Thanks for the kind words and accept my apologies for all the typos in my reports from the site. Fat frozen fingers, failing eyesight and Blackberrys do not make for top quality reports...

thanks for your reports i,m orking as well and look forward to your daily reports .hope they are puting together a video of the process that they sell when it opens. i remember as a kid seeing the coal boats docked in the river unloading as a kid now a fishing boat has trouble getting in and out

Here's a few from the millions of pics taken today. There are tons of photographers, videographers, and media who have been around including Discovery Channel who spent quite a bit of time there.

Also, just a refresher for the project website:

http://projectojibwa.ca/news/news.aspx

Thanks for your continues reporting on the submarine landing Greg. My kids love your photos and are checking them regularly as you post them. Looking forward to the final ones with the boat up on those concrete blocks we saw last summer. And yes visiting it up close and personal next summer with the whole family is already on the schedule.
Thanks again and keep up the great photos and reports coming.

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

quote:
Originally posted by icefisherman

Thanks for your continues reporting on the submarine landing Greg. My kids love your photos and are checking them regularly as you post them. Looking forward to the final ones with the boat up on those concrete blocks we saw last summer. And yes visiting it up close and personal next summer with the whole family is already on the schedule.
Thanks again and keep up the great photos and reports coming.

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

Thanks Emil. This will be a definite visit with the kids. It won't be open until summer but the first year of tours will be guided by some of the men who served on this submarine and her sister boats the Okanagan and the Onondaga. I was very fortunate to meet some of these guys this week and hear their stories.

Okay, I have to admit, here is my favourite pic from this week...me and the new boat taken by an ex Ojibwa sailor Deane who will be heavily involved in turning her back into a showpiece!! This project was way too cool for words and I'm sure it will be a great thing for the community in the long run.

100_0347.jpg

G.Mech,

Great job on your part for the daily reports and awesome pictures!!

Jim

quote:
Originally posted by Three Bouys

G.Mech,

Jim

No problem, and thanks again for the kind words. It's been a lot of fun to be involved although the hours were long and the pay was typical for a volunteer.

I am happy to report that as of 5pm the sub is almost to it's new, forever home. Nothing too picture-worthy so I won't even try with the Crackberry. I did check out the west bank area and they have done lots of cleaning up and are removing the spoils from the dredging. The improvement from Sunday is remarkable and the guys I talked to told me that they will continue the tidy up until freeze up or until it's done. The spoils are being pulled back from the banks and worst case, if a little silt runs back in over the winter, we will still be far ahead of where things were.

That will be it for my reports from the site since I have to go back to my real job. Hopefully you will visit when the museum opens and that Port Burwell will benefit in a large way.

G.Mech Out.

quote:
Originally posted by G.Mech

quote:
Originally posted by Three Bouys

G.Mech,

Jim

No problem, and thanks again for the kind words. It's been a lot of fun to be involved although the hours were long and the pay was typical for a volunteer.

I am happy to report that as of 5pm the sub is almost to it's new, forever home. Nothing too picture-worthy so I won't even try with the Crackberry. I did check out the west bank area and they have done lots of cleaning up and are removing the spoils from the dredging. The improvement from Sunday is remarkable and the guys I talked to told me that they will continue the tidy up until freeze up or until it's done. The spoils are being pulled back from the banks and worst case, if a little silt runs back in over the winter, we will still be far ahead of where things were.

That will be it for my reports from the site since I have to go back to my real job. Hopefully you will visit when the museum opens and that Port Burwell will benefit in a large way.

G.Mech Out.

Git-R-Done! BRUCE

G.Mech,

What does the future hold for the unload site. Will it be returned to its natural state or could the village of Port Burwell turn it into a future public launch there.

Jim

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks