Not Quite Sure

Mickey Finn

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Hi Guys...
Just a question about what I have here.
I thought we had 5 Bows but the 2nd one from the top does not look quite the same.
Is it possibly a Coho?

Attachments

• IMG_6453.jpg
    IMG_6453.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 207
The second one is definitely a bow but the first looks like a Coho from what I can see of the tail Dereck.

The second one is definitely a bow but the first looks like a Coho from what I can see of the tail Dereck.
Hi Guys...
Just a question about what I have here.
I thought we had 5 Bows but the 2nd one from the top does not look quite the same.
Is it possibly a Coho?
I am not a fish biologist by any means @Mickey Finn and I say that none of those fish in your photo is a coho salmon,and here is a photo of a Coho Salmon,(still hanging in my sunroom),since the mid eighties,that I had mounted by a taxidermist in Goderich,Ontario,where I caught it,while casting little Cleo’s off the Maitland Rivermouth. Notice that the tail has just a few scattered spot’s on this Coho,and the spot’s are usually in the upper lobe of the tail. All of your fish have spot’s covering the whole tail,and the spot’s are in line,meaning that they are rainbow trout. The Coho salmon also has strong sharp teeth,and the tongue can also sometimes be black as well. Good luck 🤞 @Mickey Finn in finding out & where is @Josh Roelofsen or even @jammer etc.,when we need them?? To answer @Mickey Finn question. 🤔 lol 😂 I still say that none of those in @Mickey Finn photo is a Coho!! 😉👍🙂

Attachments

• 72CF4D73-D1DE-408B-9C58-DD1EDEC56788.jpeg
    72CF4D73-D1DE-408B-9C58-DD1EDEC56788.jpeg
    602.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 12DD3BE8-853F-4017-8514-F38B8C6510D0.jpeg
    12DD3BE8-853F-4017-8514-F38B8C6510D0.jpeg
    239.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 14C38B4D-076F-482B-9C65-13CA608E73D1.jpeg
    14C38B4D-076F-482B-9C65-13CA608E73D1.jpeg
    594.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Looks like all bows to me. Tough to make out the tail on the second one. The easiest ID feature between the two is Rainbows will have rows of small radiating spots across the entire tail. Coho have much sparser spotting. I also dont see any darker colouration in the mouth. Rainbows have a mouth that is pure white, Coho will have some darker colouration. Lastly, the pectoral fin colouring appears to be rather light and similar to the others. Coho will have a grey/black pectoral fin thats noticeably darker than a Rainbow when in their chrome lake phase.

Josh

Last edited:
Coho has less or no spots on the tail ??
What did the tail of your fish looked like 🧐 @Derkd9 when you said that it was a Coho you caught yesterday off Port Stanley? Did it have spot’s all over it’s tail,or just in the upper lobe of the tail? 🤔 Thanks in advance. 🚤🎣🐟👍🙂

What did the tail of your fish looked like 🧐 @Derkd9 when you said that it was a Coho you caught yesterday off Port Stanley? Did it have spot’s all over it’s tail,or just in the upper lobe of the tail? 🤔 Thanks in advance. 🚤🎣🐟👍🙂
The 'spots on the upper lobe only' ID trait doesn't seem to work well in in our region. I've been seeing plenty of Coho with rather heavily spotted tails, both upper and lower lobes, particularly the past few years since Michigan upped their stocking numbers...like this Erie buck for example.....
Screenshot_20220703-183811_Instagram.jpg

And here's a Huron juvenile...
Screenshot_20220703-184452_Samsung Internet.jpg

And a dark Superior fish...
Screenshot_20220703-184514_Samsung Internet.jpg

Josh

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks