No respect from this guy!

RyTek Marine

Usually I don't bitch and complain much about things others on the water do BUT yesterday while out at the Elbow with the family we had a troller come barrelling at us (heading west to east). Had been setup and running for a few Km's already and had 11colour lead out on planers, dipsy's and riggers. Honked the horn a bunch of times (doubt that got his attention)...told the wife and kids to get to the back of the boat and hold on get ready for me to gun it if I needed too! Started the big motor just incase!!! At less than 500ft coming straight at us he made and abrubt turn and veered off and passed us about 150ft from the starboard side! Kids learned a bunch of new words and didn't see anyone on the boat at all! He was moving at a decent pace and the wake was pretty intense...just glad the idiot moved out of the way!!!!

Sorry to vent but just wanted others to keep an eye out on the water! The day other than that was great! A few Eye's, a what I can assume was a big Laker on my wire dipsy that I could hardly budge and after 15mins head shook and I lost him. Also was a nice day so we took the kids out for a swim at the lighthouse...first time out there in years!

Ryan37251613_10156390665865833_4887915298176368640_n.jpg37209595_10156390666480833_2757401980790898688_n.jpg

Some of those fishing boats don’t give a care in the world. I had a similar experience the other day. Was fishing out of bruce and had a big perch boat like that drive less then 100ft behind me and right over my lines. Tryed my best to speed up but did not make it in time and lost 4 colors on lead core. Not quite sure how he managed to snag them considering they were way down there but it happens....

Last year had a work boat come straight at us, so close I did not need the glass to read the name on the boat. had to start my big engin with half my riggers down on the way up... heart was in my throat by the end of it. called out on the radio... nothing. called the coast guard on the work boat and what they told me was the boat was probably on auto pilot and captain was away from helm. I told the coast guard that it does NOT MATTER. the captain is in control of their ship period. NO EXCUSES and for you to give him an out that the boat was on auto pilot is not acceptable. We all share the water space and they need to respect us as much as we need to respect a bigger boat. Coast Guard would call the owners and talk to them. Never heard anything more... but felt better doing the report.

Ryan when you seen the larger boat at a distance (appears to be almost dead ahead) why wouldn't have you altered you course to ensure more clearance?

I am responsible for myself and my crew so I make the first move to avoid any oncoming vessels like that well before I need to take drastic measures

I agree with coast guard that they were probably on auto pilot

Just be safe guys and take care of yourselves

There are a lot of boaters that don’t respect each other ,especially those boaters flying through a group of perch fisherman who are anchored coming way too close making huge waves tossing my kids around !!

Good point Woodsman
Unfortunately some times it don't work as the other boat makes corrections as well
I have had experiance with that
My best advice is pull lines quickly and move a mile or so away as fast as you can
Yes its a pain in the back side but safe especially when kids in the boat
I fish lake Ontario as well and there you have to deal with more sail boats , great lake boats , big fancy boats , other fishing boats , and so on
Ryan I'm not judging your actions
But be safe and tigth lines

I actually started to change course long before I took the first picture! I steer with my bow mount and you can see it was already turning tot he port side! it wasn't until he was about 500ft away that he quickly veered off to the side which was about the same time I was getting ready to make a major turn to the portside also....luckly it all ended well! As far as the boat...it was the Brian-D out of Dover

Attachments

• 37354492_10156391446165833_4547496379273969664_n.jpg
    37354492_10156391446165833_4547496379273969664_n.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 54
Back