Newbie set up for walleye

Corey06

Hey,
Last year I kind of messed around with dipsy divers for walleye and had a bit of luck, so I ended up buying a couple more poles and going to get them up with leadcore. I'm not to sure how I should set them up, maybe a couple hundred feet of backing then 5 color and some more braided line then another 5 colors and maybe the other pole but backing and just put on 7 colors. I have been running the dipseys out the sides and thought about running the leadcores out the back. Any advice would be great on setups or ways I should be setting up for leadcore.

Just started running leadcore last year. Like you I started with divers.I catch 5:1 over the divers with the leadcore so it is well worth the effort to try it out. I bought a set of used riggers off a guy and it came with a planer board set up which I had never used before. This is the way to go in my opinion as you have a lot of line out usually on the lead and the further you can get it away from the boat the better.Otherwise you are really closing down your area the fight a fish behide the boat.As far as line set up ,8Dthere seems to be a lot of different opinions on this.I run backer and full 10 colour, 27 # lead with no problem with damaging the line . It is all in the type of release you use.

Definitely keep the lead lines farthest from the boat. Will be more productive and less disruptive if your dipsies fire. Your set up with the lead/backing/lead is a good one as it allows a bit more flexibility and saves on buying loads of reels and rods for each set up.
Also you can run tadpole weights to get your lead with less colours down a bit further, a bit more hassle but effective just ask Jimmy Riggins. Even heard about guys running their lead all the way out and clipping the backing on a down rigger.

Alright I will move the poles around and have the leadcore out the side of the boat, should I be using planer boards then? Because I have two rod holders out the back on either side of the motor that I could use for the dipsys.

I have my best luck running leadcore out on planner boards. Church tackle tx44 boards will pull lead core and dispys with no problems I also going to try running torpedo divers off the boards this year.Good luck.

quote:
Originally posted by wdodgetruck

I have my best luck running leadcore out on planner boards. Church tackle tx44 boards will pull lead core and dispys with no problems I also going to try running torpedo divers off the boards this year.Good luck.

Thanks I will have to see if I can find a couple of them church tackle tx44 boards. Are there any other good types of planer boards to hook up to leadcore?

Your can also use a planner board mast with dual boards. . But that also increase the price !! I think the tx boards are about $45 . A mast be will be $250 and up . I made my dual boards from plans off the internet and you tube .

quote:
Originally posted by wdodgetruck

Your can also use a planner board mast with dual boards. . But that also increase the price !! I think the tx boards are about $45 . A mast be will be $250 and up . I made my dual boards from plans off the internet and you tube .

Oh really I will have to see what I can come up with, I am going to head to angling outfitters in Woodstock and see what they all have, all the other shops don't have planer boards.

Corey06, I agree with others about running your leadcore off planer boards being more effective. The benefits are many but it will also prevent the dreaded disaster of a leadcore tangle up which can ruin your day in a hurry. I run many set-ups but on Erie I always have my leadcore out as it is my most productive on Walleye and bows on a regular basis. Leadcore is like stealth in the under water world for wallys as cannon balls and flashy dipsys or the like tend to scare to crap out of walleye. I have always hated Dipsies because of the pull, not that they can't be productive, they're just simply not my thing. Sometimes I will run 4 leadcore, 1 straight back off each side with the other 2 out on planer boards. Other times I will run 2 leadcore and 2 mono lines off the riggers or 2 leadcore back and 2 mono lines off the planers 120 ft. back with deep diving body baits.

There's many ways you can run leadcore. I use all 10 colours on my reels with 300 ft. of braid backing with 25 ft. of 20 lb.florocarbon for a leader and just put out how many colours I need to get where the fish are on that particular day. You will need to experiment with different set-ups in order to find which works best for you. Good luck fishing. 8D8D

You need to use a 45 size reel . I use the Okuma convector and the rapala hydros reel . There is lots of room for 400' of backer line (power pro braid ) and 10 colors lead. I also spilt my poles up . Some with 5 colors 100' of line then another 5 colors , 6 and 4 , 7 &3 , 8&2.

You can pick up a set of Okuma convectors with matching gl cooper rods out of Michigan from Brettsonthebay.com .I got a pair delivered to my door all in for just over $200 . This included the backer 27 lb ten colour and leaders !! I am all for shopping Canadian but I priced out the same rigs a tackle store in Grimsby an the best they could do was $415 plus tax.

Putting 3 or 4 colours of leadcore on a rod with a torpedo diver does the same thing as the long lengths of leadcore. You won't need a 45 series reel and reeling in a fish is quicker. With the larger sizes of torpedo divers, you can also achieve greater depths than 10 colours of leadcore. Also, get the lines out to the sides.

quote:
Originally posted by 2girls

Putting 3 or 4 colours of leadcore on a rod with a torpedo diver does the same thing as the long lengths of leadcore. You won't need a 45 series reel and reeling in a fish is quicker. With the larger sizes of torpedo divers, you can also achieve greater depths than 10 colours of leadcore. Also, get the lines out to the sides.

I will have to look into those torpedo divers, my reels on my poles are all to small to fit 10 colored on, never even thought about getting a pole with bigger reels. This sounds like it's going to be quite the contraption, 4 colours hooked onto a torpedo diver and hooked onto a planer board ha. Do you think it would be more effective to even just scrap the two dipsies and just use a torpedo diver attached to the braided line on the 2 poles with no leadcore?

3 to 4 colours of leadcore add action to the lure as the line sways as it's pulled through the water.
For walleye use 17 lb leadcore. It will dive a little deeper than 27 lb line.

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsman

3 to 4 colours of leadcore add action to the lure as the line sways as it's pulled through the water.
For walleye use 17 lb leadcore. It will dive a little deeper than 27 lb line.

Alright thanks for the advice! I will get 2 poles ready with 4 colours of leadcore and see if I can find some planer boards and torpedo divers, and just use the other 2 poles with dipsy divers for now, what size torpedo divers are you guys using?

Now I am confused.I thought one of the ideas of using lead core was to get the lure back away from the boat.If you want to get the line down there with the least amount of line out, pick up a cheap manual rigger and just use the rods you have if depth is what you are trying to get . Not sure how 17 lb line goes deeper then 27lb. but I am new to the whole lead thing.I have 2 -27lb lead rods and two 20lb and the 27s always produce more fish. Good luck which ever way you go!!8D

Question regarding lead core . I started just last week using lead . After the first day the colored sheath has frayed . In some spots lead is totally exposed . Will.this weaken the line strength ? I think it rubbed on the real causing this .

Sronza

quote:
Originally posted by tyee one on

Now I am confused.I thought one of the ideas of using lead core was to get the lure back away from the boat.
Not sure how 17 lb line goes deeper then 27lb. but I am new to the whole lead thing.

Leadcore gets your line down & usually far back of the boat.
With leadcore both 17 lb & 27 lb use the same weight of leadcore. The difference is in the strength of the sheath covering the leadcore. The 27 lb sheath is stronger & slightly thicker which results in slightly more resistance in the water when trolled which = slightly less depth.
quote:
Originally posted by sronza

Question regarding lead core . I started just last week using lead . After the first day the colored sheath has frayed . In some spots lead is totally exposed . Will.this weaken the line strength ?

Yes the sheath provides the strength not the leadcore.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks