New to site: first year trolling for wallaye

I don't like tangles, especially if you're getting into rainbows as well as eyes so nothing runs straight out the back on my boat. The chute is kept open for launching lines and fighting fish. The quickest diving rigs should run inside and the shallowest dive angle gear should go outside so they can cross each other without tangling. As such, on my boat anyway, the rigger run nearest the boat, dipsies on #2 or #3 setting outside the riggers and lead core off in-line boards are way outside. You can launch your core straight out the back, clip on the board and let it fall back a bit then plane it out to the side; it will clear over top of your other gear and be out of the way for landing fish. That's my two cents worth anyway.

I don't like tangles, especially if you're getting into rainbows as well as eyes so nothing runs straight out the back on my boat. The chute is kept open for launching lines and fighting fish. The quickest diving rigs should run inside and the shallowest dive angle gear should go outside so they can cross each other without tangling. As such, on my boat anyway, the rigger run nearest the boat, dipsies on #2 or #3 setting outside the riggers and lead core off in-line boards are way outside. You can launch your core straight out the back, clip on the board and let it fall back a bit then plane it out to the side; it will clear over top of your other gear and be out of the way for landing fish. That's my two cents worth anyway.
Same.........except I use big boards, I always let the line with a fish on go to the centre(close anyhow) before we start retrieving. All's good till you hook a LOCO rainbow, but they sure are exciting!

I have been using http://www.torpedodivers.com/ for the last few years with great success . I also started to use their leadcore alternative 19 strand wire last year. On Erie I don't use the downriggers as often . I like the divers on the big board mast.

I like the torpedo divers too and use them if I'm out alone or with only two guys and don't need a 6 or 8 rod spread. I put them on in front of a 3 colour lead core and they've produced very well with only about 120-150 feet of line out. They are way too heavy to run on in-line boards though which kind of limits your options.

Last edited:
does anybody just flat line anymore? I remember back in the early 90s thats all we ever did out of Bruce and glasgow with deep divers and always caught lots of walleyes.

does anybody just flat line anymore? I remember back in the early 90s thats all we ever did out of Bruce and glasgow with deep divers and always caught lots of walleyes.

We've done well flat-lining Rapala Tail Dancers and Cotton Cordell's 'Walleye Stinger'.

I will set a flatline way out, 300 feet plus to get off the prop wash, especially if I have a rookie with me. Generally a diver of 6 to 10 feet or a even a big Musky sized Mepps tipped with lots of meat right on top or a snap weight, mix it up, think outside the box for that set. I get the rookie to bring it in. Lots of excitement bringing in a fish in 300 feet. Especially if I see they are bored. They don't even care if it's a farm animal. Not bored anymore eh cupcake?

I know lead core has been a fav the last years, but I dislike the heavy setups. I still run downriggers, but have been messing a lot with inline weights...Lead Zepplins in particular. These are flatlined or go off mini-inline planers with anything from big blade crawler harnesses to spoons to deep diving body baits. I've been using sliders off the main lines to the inline planers to add to the confusion. Its a work in progress.

There is no right / wrong set up (ie flat line, lead core, dipsy's, riggers, planners) everyone has there own ideas based on what works best for them! learned thru trying different setups.

My own boat isn't big enough for erie walleye fishing, so I am lucky enough to get out in 4 or 5 different boats so have seen and run allot of different setups.

If running four rods : my go to is ...1 dipsy off each side of boat, 8-10 colour leadcore out the back, (down rigger if guys have been getting trout) other wise would run an inline off one side of boat with a 6 or 7 colour leadcore, if it is too ruff for inlines then i would run 2 leadcores out the back corners.

if running 6 rods : I usually will run an inline and dipsy out each side of the boat and then leadcores or flatline (1 1/2 oz weight) off the back corners ....been lucky and have only had 1 bad line tangle over the years of fishing

I usually take 9 rods with line counters out with me (2 with flea flicker for riggers, 3 20lb braid for dipsys, 4 leadcore 6,7,8,10 colour) so i have the option too change setups quickly if a certain technique is working better than others.

good luck and don't forgett to post pictures of your catch.

Hey guys, I am getting back into trolling for walleyes as I was raised around it. When does everyone typically start heading out? I am running out of long point. Also what time of year do you call it an end to your trolling?

My set up with 3 people in the boat:

- lead core off the back of the boat
- down riggers running 10-20ft difference in depth for 2 lines
- 2 in-line planers out the sides

When I was a kid all I remember is dipsy's causing problems so I stay away from them... I forgot why so I should probably try them again ;)

Not sure I need to run down riggers unless the fish are in 80 FOW. But I bring them anyway as a habit.

Hey guys, I am getting back into trolling for walleyes as I was raised around it. When does everyone typically start heading out? I am running out of long point. Also what time of year do you call it an end to your trolling?
from my experience allot of people focus on Perch in may and june and then target Walleye in July and August , but thats not to say you can't catch Rainbows and Walleye as soon as the water is around 50 degrees. As far as how late in the year to fish??? depends on the year and when the lake starts to turn over...Mid september generally , but some years could go until early nov. (nearly Half the fisherman out there are also hunters, so they probably park the boat mid sept and start to focus on hunting)

Back