Need a bit of help perching

red-oak

I have been down to port burce a few times most catch has been three perch I set up where we are marking lots of fish use minnows on a pickeral rigg with a sinker attached to the bottom and drift around.Do I need to anchor? how much weight should be on the rigg? do I need braided line ??? how deep should I fish?? Anny advice would be very much thanked I would love to get dinner for two at some point soon(this is my first year of fishing lake erie and looking foward to learning and soon to retier)

red.oak

Red Oak
It has been my experience that you have to anchor .we have had very good luck at 28-30 ft .as far as weight just enough to get you to the bottom ,however fast you want to get there .we very seldom get anything the first 10 min after we anchor but the it seems to get better . let the rig go to the bottom and let it sit 10 sec and reel in about 1 ft ,if you don't get a bite try the whole thing over again , you will get them

John R

Red-Oak When using a pickerel rig or crappie rig as they are also called, put an extra snelled hook on the snap with the sinker. It's amazing the extra fish you will catch. I don't mean three at one time, which does happen. The perch seem to go after the minnow that is laying on the bottom, struggling to get free.

thanks very much I will try to anchor and let the fishing line to the bottom how long do you let it sit till you reel back up and do it over again?? third hook sounds very good also.Does a jigg work also I was also told that???

red.oak

Red Oak

I use 4lb braid on ultra light rod and real. Find that it really helps with the bite feel and i believe gives a faster hook set.
I have also found that a single hook tied on your line about 1 ft above a bell sinker produces just as well as a pickeral rig and doesnt get all wound up.
My findings as well is that the bite pretty much dies off around 11-12pm out of Bruce.

sorry, this is off topic, red-oak, does your name have anything to do with red oak trailer park? just curious, i live near there is all.

this i have found that rig is not producing as good as a single hook. I have increased productivity with the rig by baiting lower hook only, not sure why but it gets more perch this way for sure

I have thought of useing a lead jigg with a minnow on it. I think for me the tuff thing will be trying to anchor my boat.

red.oak

Was out today went to 29 feet out from 3 trees area. Third tree. Three trees is east of harbour you will see the 3 trees spaced up on the bank. We only got about 40 today in 3 hours but last weekend 86 in 3 hours and week prior 150. minnows on pickerl rigs is best lots of double headers.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks