Off Topic Navionics or c-map

Baitwaster

I have a lowrance hds live with preloaded c-maps looking to buy the map chip The last one I had used navionics Do not know much about c-maps can I get your opinion Thanks

Head to see jos at angling outfitters if possible. He can show you the maps side by side. The pros and cons of each. Nice thing about cmaps is you can make your own sonar maps and overlay them with the "computer generated maps".

I just installed a HDS7 on my boat and it came preloaded with cmaps discovery. It shows more contour than my older Lowrance that had the navionics chip. It was a few years old and probably out dated. I’m not sure what the new navionics chips are like. They could be better. Best bet is to go to angling outfitters and Jos can show you the difference between each chip.

Out of curiosity does it really make that big of a difference when trolling? I would think most of us have our go to spots and I can say I do not use my maps all that much except for looking at distance etc.

C-MAP is part of the Lowrance family. Navionics is owned by Garmin Not that it probably matters , I find the preloaded C-MAP I’m running on Lowrance FS is pretty accurate for buoys and shouls. although some guys have not found it to be ,for me I like cmaps

Last edited:
I bought the cmaps reveal chart last spring. I love it! You can do lots with it. It showed some good contours my navionics wasn’t showing me in the kawarthas, and this helped a friend and I find a good spot that holds musky, we’ve gotten fish off this exact spot each time we went last year. Had we not seen this contour we’d never have known the spot had the specific structure we couldn’t find elsewhere in this lake. If you fish just burwell or lake O it’s not needed but if you go inland the contours are good help and worth it.

I us the navionics because it's cheaper. But I do know the cmap is more accurate and has some better features

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks