Mr. B. Blackwell
President
Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
P.O. Box 2800
Peterborough, Ontario
K9J 8L5

Re: Proposal for a Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest in the Province of Ontario

Dear Mr. B. Blackwell:

I am writing to you regarding my Proposal for a Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest in the Province of Ontario that I had originally submitted to Mr. J. Hughes (Head of Population Management, CWS) on October 05, 2010 (copy enclosed) and the National Fish & Wildlife Conservation Congress that will be held in Ottawa from May 27 to May 31, 2012.

This proposal along with my three (3) other proposals (copies enclosed for reference) as well as another proposal that I supported (copy enclosed) were added to the agenda for consideration by the Ontario Waterfowl Advisory Committee (OWAC) at their next meeting that was held on November 04, 2010.

I have enclosed a copy of the minutes from the OWAC November 04, 2010 meeting for your convenience.

You will notice within the minutes (middle of page two) that my Proposal for a Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest in the Province of Ontario lacked support among the OWAC members for the following reasons:

1) There does not seem to be a demand for such a season among large numbers of Ontario hunters.

2) It is feared that hunting swans could result in loss of support for hunting in general and increased anti-hunting sentiment.

In response to these two (2) main concerns:

1) I met with Dr. S. Petrie (Executive Director, LPW) on January 10, 2011 to advise him of the establishment of The Dr. Jerome Katchin Waterfowl Foundation and offered to financially support (to a maximum of $10,000.00) a Long Point Waterfowl survey within the Province of Ontario similar to the survey that they had conducted regarding the hunting of Mourning Doves which had indicated an overall acceptance of such a season by the general public. This offer however was graciously declined.

2) I wrote to Mr. R. Olson (President, Delta Waterfowl) on January 30, 2011 (copy enclosed) to advise him of the establishment of The Dr. Jerome Katchin Waterfowl Foundation and offered to financially support (to a maximum of $10,000.00) a Delta Waterfowl survey within the Provinces of Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario to determine the level of interest among waterfowlers of such a season. A definite interest was expressed in my proposal.

3) I wrote to Mr. R. Olson again on February 02, 2011 (copy enclosed) to provide him with additional information regarding my proposal.

4) I wrote to Mr. J. Malcolm (President, LPWA) on February 05, 2011 (copy enclosed) to advise him of the establishment of The Dr. Jerome Katchin Waterfowl Foundation and requested an opportunity to make a presentation regarding my proposal at our Annual General Meeting on April 16, 2011.

5) I wrote to Mr. R. Olson a third time on February 14, 2011 (copy enclosed) disclosing my Mission Statement, my potential Financial Contributions for the next twenty (20) years, my Financial Support for Research Projects that would be available once a Tundra Swan recreational harvest has been established in the Province of Ontario and Other Considerations including my previous offer of $10,000.00 as well as the possibility of two (2) additional $5,000.00 donations to assist the residents of Manitoba and Saskatchewan in establishing their own Tundra Swan recreational harvest. Unfortunately this offer was also graciously declined for reasons similar to the OWAC reasons.

6) I wrote to Mr. J. Hughes on March 30, 2011 (copy enclosed) to advise him of the establishment of The Dr. Jerome Katchin Waterfowl Foundation including the amount of funds that would be available to establish ($10,000.00) and to monitor ($4,000.00 per year for twenty years) a Tundra Swan recreational harvest in the Province of Ontario. I also indicated to Mr. J. Hughes the possibility of two (2) additional $5,000.00 donations to assist the residents of Manitoba and Saskatchewan in establishing their own Tundra Swan recreational harvest as per my letter to Mr. R. Olson of February 14, 2011.

7) As a member of the Long Point Waterfowlers Association (LPWA) I solicited support from our members in the LPWA waterfowl forum and eventually made a presentation at our Annual General Meeting on April 16, 2011 (copy enclosed).

8) After receiving a suggestion from a LPWA member I also posted my proposal in the Hunt Ontario waterfowl forum. The subsequent interest and support for my proposal can be reviewed in the various "threads" within that forum.

9) I wrote to Mr. J. Hughes again on March 31, 2011 (copy enclosed) to advise him of the level of interest and support that I had received so far from the various "threads" that I had started in the LPWA waterfowl forum as well as in the Hunt Ontario waterfowl forum.

10) I discussed my proposal and the survey results with Mr. T. Worden (President, Ducks Unlimited Canada) on November 30, 2011.

11) I wrote to Dr. S. Petrie again on February 14, 2012 (copy enclosed) following our meeting of January 20, 2012 to review my financial commitment to The Dr. Jerome Katchin Waterfowl Foundation, the amount of funds that would be available to establish and to monitor (twenty year period) a Tundra Swan recreational harvest in the Province of Ontario, the amount of funds that would be available to support other waterfowl related projects and research once a Tundra Swan recreational harvest has been established in the Province of Ontario, the level of support that my proposal has received so far and to advise him that I would be pleased to financially support his proposal for an Ontario Waterfowl Symposium that would bring waterfowl hunters, managers, biologists, scientists and policy makers together for a truly Ontario oriented forum.

12) After giving further consideration to the positive comments made by Mr. T. Worden I wrote to Mr. J. Malcolm again on April 20, 2012 (copy enclosed) to provide him with an update on my proposal and the results of my survey. Although my survey is certainly not very scientific it would appear that a significant level of interest and support exists for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan harvest in the Province of Ontario.

Furthermore the principles that supported the LPW Mourning Dove harvest survey should be just as valid for a Tundra Swan harvest and consequently I believe that the general public would accept a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan harvest in the Province of Ontario ... especially if they were adequately informed.

Considering that you and many other individuals involved with making wildlife decisions will be attending the National Fish & Wildlife Conservation Congress in Ottawa from May 27 to May 31, 2012 I would like to request that you and the other individuals devote some time in discussing (with an open mind) my Proposal for a Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest in the Province of Ontario and the many benefits that such a harvest will eventually bring to the waterfowling community.

In closing I urge you review at least the contents of my letter to Dr. S. Petrie of February 14, 2012 prior to attending the National Fish & Wildlife Conservation Congress.

I look forward to working with the OFAH in promoting my proposal.

Sincerely,

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

PS I have also enclosed a copy of a Proposal for "Waterfowl Heritage Days" in the Province of Ontario that I was asked to prepare and submit to Mr. J. Hughes for consideration.

PS I can send copies of letters and documents referenced within this letter to anyone who did not receive them originally.

c.c.

Mr. T. Barrett, MPP, Haldimand-Norfolk
Mr. J. Hughes, Head of Population Management, Canadian Wildlife Service
Mr. J. Ingram, Acting Member, Ad Hoc Eastern Population Tundra Swan Committee
Dr. J. Leafloor, Biologist, Canadian Wildlife Service
Dr. J. DeVink, Biologist, Canadian Wildlife Service
Mr. P. Hunter, Biologist, Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources
Dr. S. Petrie, Executive Director, Long Point Waterfowl
Dr. D. Ankney, Scientific Advisory Committee Chairperson, Long Point Waterfowl
Mr. R. Olson, President, Delta Waterfowl Foundation
Dr. R. Bailey, Vice-President Policy, Delta Waterfowl Foundation
Mr. T. Worden, President, Ducks Unlimited Canada
Mr. J. Brennan, Ontario Manager, Ducks Unlimited Canada
Mr. R. Maher, Regional Development Manager, Ducks Unlimited Canada
Mr. D. McLachlin, Biologist, Ducks Unlimited Canada
Ms. H. Gamble, Director of Stamp and Print Program, Wildlife Habitat Canada
Ms. J. Lambrechts, Grants Administrator - Executive Assistant, Wildlife Habitat Canada
Mr. A. Lombardo, Executive Director, Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
Mr. G. Farrant, Head of Government Relations, Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
Dr. T. Quinney, Wildlife Biologist, Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
Mr. J. Greenwood, President Zone J, Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
Mr. J. Malcolm, President, Long Point Waterfowlers Association
Mr. J. Carol, President, Long Point Area Fish and Game Club
Mr. L. Greenwald, Portfolio Manager, RBC-Dominion Securities
Mr. D. Gluckstein, Portfolio Manager, RBC-Dominion Securities
Ms. G. Miller, Administrative Assistant, RBC-Dominion Securities

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks