Nanticoke Commercial Fishing Nets & Trawlers

Wave Runner. Your numbers seem to be off. Under the 2015 TAC (split between Ontario, NY, PA, Ohio, and Michigan) of 4.114 million walleye, Ontario is allotted 1.771 million fish (anglers and commercial), Ohio gets a 2.103-million fish allotment and Michigan has a .240 million limit.
There is no commercial fleet on the USA side.

My quote about charters and quota was meant in a sarcastic way. But yes, some charters do catch more then a commercial boat and they might end up having to sell shoes.
I love fishing for walleye and hate nets. I am one of the boats out there, but if there is an over harvesting problem in the lake let us not blame just the commercial fleet.
If in future the walleye stocks are way down, which there likely will be, we can't just blame it on the commercial fleet. That is my point.

Last edited:
Tcat I totally agree hittin fish is a horrible thing no argument there the commercial guys can fish all season or as little as a few weeks it's up to them as they have a quota so they can fill it as fast or slow as they want even if fishing is heavy they space it out to make a full season so they re not sitting at home early with no work to do . So just because they're out there all year doesn't mean they're gettin tons everyday they space it out for the market . Speaking of the market it was brought up about export overseas the only thing that goes over seas is smelt 90 percent or more if perch and walleye are sold in North America . I'm not saying charter guys could catch more than commercial but they only have a limit per fisherman in the boat and can fish everyday so they do ok . I seen a post last year by by big Dave at 10000 fish and counting so I'd say that's pretty good for one operator

Crazy thread.... but interesting to follow. None of us really know what the lake can sustain but whatever it is I don't think over-fishing (or commercial guys wasting fish) will be the thing that takes away our fun. We have had a few good cold winters where the lake was slow to warm up but look at this research out of Ohio:

http://www.oodmag.com/news/have-perch-been-hurt-by-climate-change/

Warmer water hurts Perch (and probably other fish).

The great lakes have a cycle. The low water peak (remember a couple years ago?) is followed by some cold winters and a big increase in water. Global warming will make that pattern more extreme but it will still happen. If the water gets too warm (and/or low) it will hurt the fish in a way that we can only do with pollution.

I didn't mean to suggest that a 5 buck surtax on fishing licenses is enough to buy out the commercial guys just pointed out how they did it State side, I just asked how much and it is too much apperentley. Not enough licenses here to do that certainly. I won't pay $200.00 a year. I never realized how big the industry here is or Erie accounts for 80% of that industry. Good info on the commercial fishery guys. Thanks.

If you know the right people you will get frozen fish out of Maitland or Dover for around 8 bucks a pound frozen. Never the same as fresh, never in my opinion. We bought both perch and Pics last winter when we ran out and wanted to do a fish fry with the crew here. Not good at all, disappointing. Had to be from last fall, overly fishy tasting and freezer burn once we thawed it.

I believe you @G.Mech because this is the worst year I have ever seen in the Port Bruce and Stanley area for perch numbers. I fished Bruce this morning for 5 hours moving 2 dozen times and chucked back the only perch I caught... a 5 incher. Every boat I talked to had about the same luck.

Pathetic, where the heck are the perch! :mad:

The perch are packed up, and on their way to the USA market. Too bad the commercial industry would not take care of the local eateries first. The guy that does not like to fish but would enjoy a meal of our own lake erie perch will be out of luck.

Commercial boats could be after different species at moment. Such as smelt for example. Because of quotas they don't fish every thing at same time.

Pathetic, where the heck are the perch! :mad:[/QUOTE]

At Hastings, they are still limiting out I am told first hand. I think there are plenty out there but not in the usual go to spots. Certainly not at our go to spots here at Nanticoke and Maitland. The local market would have plenty but just can't meet the prices they are getting south of the border with the drop in the dollar. No one wants to go for a fish fry at a restaurant and find the price has gone up 25%. I think that's a no brainer, it's economics.

Thanks to @G.Mech he has saved our annual local golf tourney because of his link to the newspaper report. After I read it I called the tourney organizer and host to give him the heads up. He just called me and said if the tourney was next Sat. our regular supplier would not have enough to supply us so he ordered it today. You saved the day (and made me look like the hero) @G.Mech, thank you!!!!

2 of us sat 85 not bad eh

Hey Marvin glad to hear you had a decent day. I've had my days also but for the most part and I think most would agree that the perch fishing has stunk this year out of Bruce & Stanley. Our best day was 120 perch for 3 guys but compared to last year when we only missed our limit twice all season long it's been very disappointing at best. :(

With the Canadian Dollar where its at, it's more profitable to export the majority of the catch. Japan is a large buyer of our perch.

Look at the price the fishermen actually get per pound, and look at the Canadian retail price. Our price has to compete with offshore markets. I believe that local restaurants and casual buyers just won't pay a competitive price, even though the "store" prices are already over $13.00 per pound of fillets.

It might be interesting to see a split market agreement with fisheries, where a certain percentage must be reserved for local sale, and any beyond that number can be exported at exorbitant prices.

It might be interesting to see a split market agreement with fisheries, where a certain percentage must be reserved for local sale, and any beyond that number can be exported at exorbitant prices.[/QUOTE]

I don't want the gov. to tell me how much I can sell my hard work for. They aren't getting exorbitant prices either IMO. They are getting market prices. The big prices are at the end of a meal at a restaurant.

Big Wally It might be interesting to see a split market agreement with fisheries, where a certain percentage must be reserved for local sale, and any beyond that number can be exported at exorbitant prices.

That would be one way that I could support the commercial fishing , with that industry receiving so much tax payer money it would be a good way for the local people to get some thing back.

@Leaky. What taxpayer money are these guys receiving.? Please if you could quantify this tax payer money they get I would be interested in reading that.

Ottawa 14 Sask 2/ 12:31 in the second quarter.

After reading this topic . I decided e mail the mnr about this practice of wasting larger fish for a larger profit I'll let you no what there reply is . [ if there is one ! ] Maybe we all should contact them and let them that this practice is not acceptable .

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks