My kicker is f@#*K%d

B

big rod

My 16 year old Yamaha 8hp kicker needs a head gasket. Would you get if fixed or get a new kicker?

If I had your money, I'd save the aggravation and buy a whole new boat! (J.K.) I can't see a head gasket being a huge job though....

Head gasket, so what, definitely fix unless your mechanic determines otherwise, Robert Jones in Tillsonburg replaced mine in my 9.9 and its still running strong on my 14' aluminum. 5 yrs ago.

I think i am going to put the gasket in regardless of it being 16 years old and thousands of hours running time.I just have to find someone in Essex County.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a torque wrench it is not a difficult job. Try it yourself.

A kicker is small enough to travel anywhere for someone to take on the job over the winter.

There are enough mechanics on this forum that could help you out. Take it downstairs & tear it apart, then figure out if it's scrap metal or worth the winter rebuild (y)

Get rid of the Yamaha @big rod,and buy a mercury!! ??,and getting 16 years out of a outboard motor is pretty good @big rod,considering how many days out of each year that you fish.?????

Last edited:
just take a few photos, had to replace the tiller arm on my Yamaha this past season from a mistake, and boy do they pack a lot of stuff under that cowling.

@big rod . You are going too need a reliable second engine throughout your retirement. Buy a new one and we can make a deal on your old one as long as it is short shaft and under 60 pounds.

If the old one is a 2 cycle replace it with a 4. If not make sure you put a new timing belt on as well. I'd still fix the old one and sell it for a grand.

Headgasket is easy. I doubt a new motor would last. 1989 yamaha 20 and 1988 evinrude 35 and a 1953 johnston 3hp that sits under the bow to save paddling. ......... just in case lol

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks