Mute Swan Hunt

ch312

In the recent OOD magazine there's a little write up on mute swans (orange beaks, not black like the native trumpeter swans) and how they're an invasive species who are very territorial which drives out native species. They might be nice to look at, but they're an invasive species that is negatively effecting native species.

What do you think about a hunt?

Has anyone ate mute swan? I wonder how big each breast would be?

Good luck getting that past the peta people. Look at the fuss created when a deer cull is mentioned or coyotes need thinning out, or the cormorants even. Have a swan hunt???? You would have better luck organizing a kitten kicking contest.

There is a guy pushing for a Tundra Swan hunt on the LPWA page. I have seen little to no support on that page for this particular proposal nor do I support it. I would however like to see the Mutes culled or eradicated as they are invasive, territorial and aggressive.

BD

Hey watch it! I belong to PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals). Kitty kicking contest.... I do that every day off my rear deck, that's if they're too close for the BB gun and if the antis come around complaining I switch to the 12 gauge. Take no prisoners! :jawdrop:
cat%20burglar%20mean%20kick%20kitty%20kitten%20kill%20hurt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey ch312 check out the LPWA waterfowlers forum. The guy Big Dave mentioned is called Tundra Swan and has been spearheading a season for a tundra swan hunt here. I also believe that Dr. Scott Petrie of Long Point Waterfowl Research has been pushing to get those orange beaked buggers wiped out. I support the idea of being able to harvest a swan here . Why not, we use too ! Why should our cousins to the south get to but not us ? I'm sure long ago some people poo-pooed the idea of a turkey hunt ?

The guy I mentioned wants a Tundra Swan hunt. I am not for that but wouldn't mind the mutes being brought down.

Also the guy pushing for it has little or no support. Leave the Tundra swans alone, lets not bring more people against hunting:mad:

I guess "first" is this thread should be on the Shots Fired or Waterfowler forum. Second; From what I've been reading it (hunt in question) is gaining support from hunters and governing bodies as well. Third and final; There will always be treehuggingsquirrelkissers and if "we" don't stand up for "our" rights....then "they" win !

I guess "first" is this thread should be on the Shots Fired or Waterfowler forum. Second; From what I've been reading it (hunt in question) is gaining support from hunters and governing bodies as well. Third and final; There will always be treehuggingsquirrelkissers and if "we" don't stand up for "our" rights....then "they" win !
what rights we have banned hunters from our farm because of thoughts like this

Hey ch312 check out the LPWA waterfowlers forum. The guy Big Dave mentioned is called Tundra Swan and has been spearheading a season for a tundra swan hunt here. I also believe that Dr. Scott Petrie of Long Point Waterfowl Research has been pushing to get those orange beaked buggers wiped out. I support the idea of being able to harvest a swan here . Why not, we use too ! Why should our cousins to the south get to but not us ? I'm sure long ago some people poo-pooed the idea of a turkey hunt ?[/QUOT

The cousins to the south are allowed to do all sorts of logical things because they don't live in Ontario. I'm all for a catch and release Bass season, good luck with that in my lifetime.

There was a bunch of people who opposed the mourning dove hunt and the government still opened the season which makes me think they'll eventually give us a season on swans. Hunting has proven to be one of the cheapest and effective methods of population control of various species.

I've never noticed the LPWA section of the forum, I'll have to check it out.

I've read somewhere that they have been gaining support on this, However I dont see what old cut longpointer said wrong. There will always be peta and ect, thats a guarantee. Even tho these are swans we are talking about they are an invasive species. The MNR or whoever governs this will end up making thier best "educated" decision sooner or later. Thats what I think at least.

Hunting is part of my being, I have been hunting or around it for as long as I can remember. I am happy to support and promote it.

Picture this, fall hunting season and a hunter wounds a Tundra Swan, breaks its wing and it bleeds but doesn't die. People driving down the causeway see this bird and next the next thing we know there is a group out there trying to save the Swan, take it to a vet for rehabilitation.

http://www.king5.com/news/environme...ith-history-takes-flight-again-184876001.html

While PETA is against hunting a lot of others aren't, why do something to push those on the fence against us?

Pretty white birds draw a lot of attention here every year, blood stained ones will draw even more.

BD

seeing that there are thousands & thousands of these swans here in the fall, and they are really spreading at an alarming rate, I'm all in!!!
people part of peta don't decide my beliefs and traditions either!
enough said
@ fisherwoman, I hope you didn't ban all hunters off of your farm, as MOST of us only take as much from the land that the land can afford

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks