Mounting planner board mast

Ballzdeep

Hi all! I just mounted a riverara mast on my boat! But I don't really like it! It seams to have play! When I pull it forward it moves the floor! I emailed the company for mounting instructions, which I followed! I put a 12x12 plate below! Used 4 20x 3 in bolts. How much pull will this thing have? Not a 100% confident in it! Any ideas? Would a seat mount be better? Any help would be great!

How old is the boat you mounted it in? Is it possible that the floor or part you mounted it to is getting soft or weak? Maybe find somebody else that has one on their boat and see how it compares. You pulling on it by hand will have more force then when it's in use I would say.

First off Riviera makes a great planer mast in my opinion so that's not the problem. Because of the height of the mast as well as the torque created by planer boards being towed you need to attach a cable from the mast post to somewhere in the front of your boat, preferably the bow plate to strengthen it. No wood floor in any boat will take the stress due to the leverage large planer boards being towed behind put on it. You can put clips on both ends of the cable to easily snap it off when removing the mast.

One last modification that's a good idea is to place a snubber between the boards and the mast. The snubber soaks up most of the jolts when running the boards in anything other than flat calm conditions, it'll extend the life of not only the mast, but your decking as well. Hope this helps. :)

Hi all! I just mounted a riverara mast on my boat! But I don't really like it! It seams to have play! When I pull it forward it moves the floor! I emailed the company for mounting instructions, which I followed! I put a 12x12 plate below! Used 4 20x 3 in bolts. How much pull will this thing have? Not a 100% confident in it! Any ideas? Would a seat mount be better? Any help would be great!

If the floor isn't soft, did you mount the mast close enough to the nose rail of the boat? If so I remember my father In-Laws Sylvain mast he had a U bracket that had 2 wing bolts... He had a small aluminum plate there and would bolt the mast down then put the U bracket on this firmed the whole mast up nice.......

Something you could try is put a ratchet strap around mast & pull forward just enough to put a little tension on the mast. I built my own mast & did this with no problems at all. I found the strap took all movement from mast & made it alot

I have a Riviera self retracting mast and love it and I pull triples that pull hard. I would strongly recommend the snubbers at the boards, I also put a large plate in the front of my boat under the bow where I have it mounted as big as would fit and it is rock solid.

mount it on front of boat -
use aircraft cable to secure the mast at three points on the bow. - using tensioning to be sure it is equal pressures.
The final result of your setup should pitch the mast slightly toward the fore of the craft and when it comes under load it will sit fully vertical and run true

let me know how to post pics and I will show you -- I tried but it said the file was too big

nice boat rewired!! i got the XGS late last season...only half the HP with a 50 and half the windshield ...but just as perty....lol... c u out there

Have to agree with Joel...that really is a nice boat @rewired and have it rigged very nicely as well. In fact, nice truck and house also for that matter. What company are CEO of? LOL!! :D :D

Rewired, do u use cables aswell? I the bow piece wood? I was just looking at my boat and could mount mine there as well! Just need to take trolling mounter outlet off and see what is under there

I took a quarter inch thick piece of aluminum plate and matched the holes and put it underneath. This unit is rock solid. I'll see if I can upload a quick video from last year so you can see it in action.

rewired: I have the 20ft xcaliber -- just setting up the big jon's this spring. Did you 'need' that pro-kicker or just really want it? I got a price to get one installed and the price was crazy but if I need it, I need it.

Back