missing boater a reminder to us all

A grim reminder to all of us who fish solo as I myself do sometimes. If for whatever reason we end up in the water with the boat still in motion we will never catch up to get back in. Just like this young man we also more than likely will not be coming home. It's always a risk solo and why we need to be extra, extra cautious if we choose do so.

These kind of fatalities are very sad to say the least but are so avoidable. I fish alone more than 90 percent of the time so i got one of these
image_zpspkoqj2tf.png
. I think my life is worth a hole lot more than the $225 these cost. Imigine waching your boat troll away and know you just f^*€ed up big time.

I have an extra long lanyard , that I wear while fishing alone. It allows me to move 95% freely around the boat without triggering the kill switch. You just have to get used to it being clipped to your belt loop. The only thing really to remember is when turning around it kind of coils up around you. But that and my mustang inflatable are always attached to me when fishing alone.

I fish SOLO a lot also,(I LOVE It!!,& I have been fishing Solo since 10 year`s old),at least over 90% of the time it is Solo.Wether it is on a Boat or walking riverbanks looking for Steelhead in the
Fall and right into late December till the river`s freeze up.Sometimes my fishing trip`s especially fishing out of my boat aren`t decided till the morning of the day I want to fish,until I look up the updated Marine Forecast,so therefore I don`t like to make plans with a person and have to cancell Boating/Fishing that day due to strong Winds,and dissapoint them.Fishing Solo also keeps me focused on Fishing,& I get to hook all the fish for myself,:sneaky::finger:LOL.Now,if only the Bass Tournament`s would allow an Angler to fish Solo,I would Love IT!! Tight Lines,& BE SAFE!!:)

Last edited:
The tether is a great idea....but when alone - no security like a life jacket - on your person. If you suffer some time of medical emergency or strike your head falling out - the boat automatically shutting off won't help you keep your head above water. Yep - we all think - something like that will never happen to me. A Mustang jacket on your person is far less uncomfortable than a casket.

RIP to the young man - passing doing what he enjoyed and my sympathies and condolences to his family.

Be safe out there folks.

These kind of fatalities are very sad to say the least but are so avoidable. I fish alone more than 90 percent of the time so i got one of these
image_zpspkoqj2tf.png
. I think my life is worth a hole lot more than the $225 these cost. Imigine waching your boat troll away and know you just f^*€ed up big time.
Thank-You longrun for this information.Like yourself,I also fish SOLO a lot(over 90% of the time),and having a device like this will definitely be a Great Safety feature to have on the boat.Tight Lines,& Be Safe.

Back