Minnow Prices at Erie Docks

icenut

Just checking in too see where the best prices of minnows are for the money at well known spots along Lk Erie

I know the fellow at one of the Port Bruce ramps is super helpful while unloading or loading your boat at his dock with fine minnow counts, but I find it hard to pay $5 for 13 minnows at some retailers...where are you guys buying your minnows along the lake..

Ruth in glencoe (orange st) is a quick stop while on the way to go out of Glasgow rather than the guy selling them at the ramp for crazy prices for 13 minnows..

Where in Burwell ??

Thank you

Men are from mars, women from Visa

By far the best spot I've found so far is North Erie Marina in pt.bruce as you mentioned, great minnow count for $5 and excellent service. If your heading down long point way hit up Rotten Ronnies there a great spot for bait as well. Hope this helps

We sell you a scoop for 3.50 about 30 minnows, or try to give you what you need for the number of people in your party ,if your ramping here we fill you up to the limit 120 per person, but supplys go fast at that price ,so we go chatch as many as weather will allow

RUSHCREEK MARINA PORT BRUCE

Here at Kingfisher it is 6 bucks for a scoop, a minimum of 20- 25 per scoop. You may get more never less. We don't count, because where not a bank.

Noel & Sita Hayes
Kingfisher of Pt.Burwell

Kingfishers in Pt. Burwell is solid.

Have never bought from North Erie but they sound awesome, and Rush Creek sounds good too.

If youre looking for the best count, then avoid Bettys Bait Shop on the main drag just past the bridge in Port Bruce. She only sells by the dozen, and you'll get 12 minnows.

DSCF1466.jpg

Betty's sounds like a guy here in London that sold minnows - Archie's bait - he counted out exactly 12 minnows and if he was in a good mood , would throw in a dead one to make it a bakers dozen.

quote:
Originally posted by quinner01

Have never bought from North Erie but they sound awesome, and Rush Creek sounds good too.

North Erie Marnia is a great place to deal with. Have not tried Rush Creek.
quote:
If youre looking for the best count, then avoid Bettys Bait Shop on the main drag just past the bridge in Port Bruce. She only sells by the dozen, and you'll get 12 minnows.

BTDT but only once. Never again.

HEY u all forgot MOLLIES-at PT.Stanley,Bob an Sandra do a grt job an a really good count for minnows,just my 2cents worth

Good to know...so to buy minnows at Kingfishers and get enough to last two people to hopefully get their perch, they need to spend $50-$60, thats too much in my opinion..i know the man in port glasgow sells em by "The Dozen" Literally and i would think he's only shooting himself in the foot by doing so, as everyone you talk to, says, don't buy your bait from him...might as well start charging $10/dozen worms. about the same thing..I'll drive an extra 20 miles one way out of my way to get decent minnow counts with expensive minnow supplies close to the docks..it's fine if someone fishes once or twice a year to pay those kinda prices..Rush Creek,sounds like you treat folks right..

Whos the people in the red shack in port bruce, down the road from 13 minnow Betty in port bruce, very good counts there except the young girl who put water in our bucket from the garden hose didn't know the warm hose water, and pulling minnows from the cool tank water would kill All our bait in short order..lol...will deal with them again and hope they do well..

Do most of the retailers not purchase from the same commercial bait suppliers?? If so, they pretty much all pay the same price and should be a bit more generous to the customers..I know buying bait from Mitchells bay area, from the recently Late Jamie Rose of Eds Baits ( who passed away about one month ago), good ol Jamie, if he trusted you, would let you dip your own for $5..Although he sold his tackle business a few years ago now, We sure miss dealing with you Jamie..

Can always just catch your own at any of the piers at any port. By far the cheapest way to get minnows if price is an issue.

DSCF1466.jpg

Ice nut I think you've got something crossed, Kingfisher sells by the scoop, similar to NEM and a few others. I have always had good service and fair pricing when using them. Just don't want to give a good bait store a bad rap.

quote:
Originally posted by icenut

Good to know...so to buy minnows at Kingfishers and get enough to last two people to hopefully get their perch, they need to spend $50-$60,

Based on your $60 comment, you are using 250 minnows to catch 100 perch (10 scoops x 25 minnows x $6 = $60)...seems terrribly excessive to me. I usually buy 50 minnows per person and have minnows left over after catching limits. The minnows cost more in the summer months as supplies dwindle and that's just a fact of life but Kingfisher is a good and fair bait shop so don't want to see them getting slammed if you made a math error or you're simply using too many minnows.

quote:
Kingfisher is a good and fair bait shop...

Perhaps true, however, some seem OK with promoting their business in this forum, but, when asked, aren't willing to sponsor the site. North Erie, Rush Creek and Jimmy Riggin/Rotten Ronnie's are all sponsors that help keep Channel 6-8 running and all are most welcome to promote their businesses here :).

Old Cut Marina is also a sponsor and Ray Ferris has always been very generous in what he calls a dozen -- more like 30-40. He catches his own minnows, which gives him that freedom.

quote:
Originally posted by stomp

quote:
Kingfisher is a good and fair bait shop...

Perhaps true, however, some seem OK with promoting their business in this forum, but, when asked, aren't willing to sponsor the site. North Erie, Rush Creek and Jimmy Riggin/Rotten Ronnie's are all sponsors that help keep Channel 6-8 running and all are most welcome to promote their businesses here :).

Once again, I'm sorry I opened my yap. Stomp, with all do respect, I have no idea who sponsors the board and who doesn't and it really has nothing to do with the question at hand anyway. The statement made was that it would cost $60 to buy enough minnows for 2 people a the baitshop in question and I was simply trying to figure out the logic without regard to whether they are a site sponsor or not. Again, sorry for being out of line.

No worries G. Mech; glad you opened your yap. Just pointing out who supports the forum. And Canvasback.ca, yes Old Cut Marina is a sponsor, but I understand that that entity is now separate from the Boat Livery where the minnows are sold.

Don't get me wrong; all good info for fishermen to share. I guess the point I was making is that if you sponsor the site you can freely post some info about your business. If you don't sponsor and still want to plug your business in a post, well, that's less welcome.

Sorry guys for opening up a can of minnows or worms here, but it's good to know who sells what and for what prices as many new comers drive to a new place only to be shocked by a bait retailer prices once they have their bait in the pail..I was wrong by saying kingfisher is too much, I just have a hard time shelling out $50 for a days worth of minnows to go fishing when others sell the same for $5- $10..I realize everyone needs to make a living..and whoever thinks they will buy 50 minnows for each person must have better hooking success that I do on the days they're hitting light..

again, sorry for any hard feelings..

quote:
Originally posted by icenut

..and whoever thinks they will buy 50 minnows for each person must have better hooking success that I do on the days they're hitting light..

I know how many minnows I buy trust me; one scoop per guy, 10-12 bucks worth total for two of us. If I had to shell out 50 bucks for enough minnows for two people I'd be p'ed off too so I guess your right about the success rate...

I normally get 4 scoops of minnows at northerie marina good to go for 3 guys for the day.thats $20

Last Sunday (for the derby) 3 scoops from Greg($15) 3 guys in the boat and our limit of perch with LOTS of throw back dinks as well as 2-3 dozen gobies. The "trick" in my opinion, is only use a 1 or 2 hook set up, use the minnow as many times as you can, 5-6 fish on the same one is not out of the question, and control your baits rate of fall...get it down there fast! If they are hitting good you could be cleaned off before you even close your bail. I use my antilock spin reel and backreel the bait down, this way if you are getting bites on the way down you will feel them better.

The way you hook your minnow makes a difference too (HMMMM new thread, I think so).

Good luck Icenut!

Bogz

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks