Off Topic Merc smartcraft

Buckhorn

Looking for feedback on Mercury engine monitoring options. I have a 2005 90 HP 4-stroke and I think (got conflicting views based on Serial#) it should be compatible with Mercury's different engine data options. As far as I can tell, my options are:

1) vesselview mobile mounted in the engine compartment and view engine data on smartphone app (cheapest/easiest)
2) smart gauge (sc100 or sc1000) OR merc monitor to replace my existing in-dash speedo/tach gauge, showing engine data. may need additional wiring harness/connectors.
3)NEMA2000 fishfinder networked to merc wiring harness with merc vesselview link (and probably additional wiring harness. (most expensive bute somewhat futureproof if I upgrade to a newer boat)

Does anyone here use any of these options? pros/cons of each? Is the additional info really useful or just nice-to-have? Im leaning toward #2 option to keep things cleaner and have the troll control option.

I have the same motor and went to Proctors to check it out and was informed it was not set for my motor. Might want to check with them.

Ya, that's what I'm hearing from some shops, but Merc website says 2004 and newer. I do have the purple connector they mention, but will need to verify before purchasing. just looking for feedback on options if it turns out it can be done. BPS said i can buy the vesselview mobile and return it if it turns out my motor is not compatible.

Either the smartcraft gauges or the mercmonitor will work on that motor but you need to get the harness too. You'd likely have to change your fuel sending unit from an analogue to a digital one as well if you want it to read and alarm the fuel levels. If you want to connect it to your chart plotter you do that through an NMEA network. I have done two boats and the dealers weren't much help, I basically had to figure it out by myself. I do have a lot of documentation and part numbers for everything that I can send you if you decide to do it. I have to warn you though, it's a bit of a project.

The smartcraft tach will work on that motor but you need to get the harness too. You'd likely have to change your fuel sending unit from an analogue to a digital one as well if you want it to read and alarm the fuel levels. If you want to connect it to you chart plotter you do that through an NMEA network. I have done two boats and the dealers weren't much help, I basically had to figure it out by myself. I do have a lot of documentation and part numbers for everything that I can send you if you decide to do it. I have to warn you though, it's a bit of a project.
NMEA - my bad not NEMA. that would be my 'money is no object' choice. I didn't realize I would need to change the fuel sending unit also for the SC1000 option. I wonder if that would be needed for the mobile option as well? See - great info on this site from great guys!

NMEA - my bad not NEMA. that would be my 'money is no object' choice. I didn't realize I would need to change the fuel sending unit also for the SC1000 option. See - great info on this site from great guys!
The fuel sender is fairly easy to do and only cost about 90 bucks or something. You don't even have to do it if you don't want, but it does give you a lot of info. Same with your trim sensor as well. If it's an analog trim sensor, you have to change it to digital but again it's quite easy and not expensive. The single merc monitor gauge is what I put on my last boat and it works nicely especially networked to my lowrance. I'm pretty sure I have the whole parts list on file here. I can scan it and send it to you tomorrow if you like

My Legend came with the Smartcraft but I am usually too busy fishing to pay attention to the gauges.

with the age of the motor, i was wondering if having access to more data might help identify potential problems earlier (temperatures, pressure, etc). if there is no tangible benefit - other than troll control (which i can drop a sock overboard to accomplish), then i will spend my money elsewhere and think of it for the next boat (there is always the promise of a new boat).

I have the merc monitor installed by xtreme marine, it was plug and play on my 2017 motor, could have likely done it myself. I have it hooked up to my lowrance through the NMEA network along with my xi5 trolling motor. I did that myself wasn’t too bad. When I got mine there was different levels of merc monitor, get at least a level 2. I have level 1 and the engine diagnostics are limited. I use mostly the troll control, fuel economy gauge, fuel gauge, speed etc. It was a little expensive but I do like it and use it every time out! I could live without it but it’s nice to have! $1500 installed if I remember right.

with the age of the motor, i was wondering if having access to more data might help identify potential problems earlier (temperatures, pressure, etc). if there is no tangible benefit - other than troll control (which i can drop a sock overboard to accomplish), then i will spend my money elsewhere and think of it for the next boat (there is always the promise of a new boat).
It does show all your engine data, fault codes, maintenance reminders etc which is nice and troll control is too but it's going to cost at least $1000 if you do it all yourself. Whether it's worth it to you or not is the question...

Back