Meat church schooled me!

Crummybun

I've been watching some Matt Pittman meat church videos on YouTube lately and I've heard good things about his rubs. I usually make my own rubs but I was in strodes and noticed they sell the meat church rubs so I grabbed a few. We've been messing around with the honey hog and holy voodoo rubs on the last few cooks. So I seasoned a whole chicken with a 50/50 mix of the two rubs and did a garlic butter injection as well. I also picked up a new technique from one of his videos where he peels the skin of a turkey breast back and seasons the meat directly. Then he pulled the skin back over and seasoned that as well. I was using this chicken as an analog for an upcoming turkey dinner this weekend.

Wow!

A 4lb chicken split 4 ways, usually yields a few chicken sandwiches the next day in this house. I guess we'll be having tuna. One of the best bbq chickens I've ever had. I will give the rubs a good portion of the credit. Nice flavors with just a mild heat finish. Hopefully the turkey is a hit as well!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231206_193059_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231206_193059_Gallery.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20231206_193141_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231206_193141_Gallery.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 29
I picked up some Meat Church stuff for my youngest's household while in Florida @Crummybun , her lesser half is a fan as well.

I did a spatchcock chicken tonight, melted butter, salt, pepper, thyme and smoked paprika. Top rack on the Napoleon at 400*.

Usually The Wife offers me the skin off her portion... not tonight. Super crispy and delicious.

Did the @Octavius Brine potatoes underneath the bird. They were really good too but unsure if I'll be allowed that treat regularly. LoL

No pictures, The Wife ripped a leg off the bird before I was prepared. LoL 🌻

I love the meat church seasonings
Last time I posted about them tho Everyone was going on about sodium content

Sad thing is, this may be one of the healthier things I eat between now and the new year....

I know that we won't be letting that 1 kg of cream cheese in the fridge go bad.. Smoked cheese today?

Looks great! The best rubs you can buy aren't going to be the sugar free low sodium things.

Salt is the main way you can improve meat in cooking (e.g. brining, or just simply salting or using a rub the day before etc.). It changes the structure of the meat somewhat and helps it hold onto moisture, and it also draws out water which helps crisp and brown the skin/surface. For some people salty meats are off the menu, but most people can enjoy it.

Sugar helps moderate the salty flavour where you have a product that needs plenty of salt (e.g. bacon), and definitely helps browning and forming the crust/ "bark". And to some extent it can have similar impacts on meat, especially drying out the skin. Great improvement on turkey skin, which tends to be flaccid and pale (also needs more fat to crisp up well). I'd guess most people can tolerate the amount of sugar needed.

After that, it is mostly flavours. Spices, herbs, injections... all tasty things to try. And if you unfortunately can't tolerate salt or sugar these are your best friends.

LOL now about the chicken fat potatoes... I'll leave that to you and your wife @hvyhaul :)

Another product endorse, lol.. the wife bought this injectable marinade off amazon. We used it in conjunction with the meat church rubs.

Cooked the bird(13lbs) at 275°f for 2hrs until it hit 158°f, as recommended by Matt. The best turkey I've ever had. 8 adults, 3 children and we hardly have enough turkey left over for soup. If your afraid of sodium don't look at the ingredients list in this butter sauce.. 😋 So good I couldn't even put the gravy on it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231211_205441_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231211_205441_Gallery.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20231211_205724_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20231211_205724_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 13
That looks awesome Crummybun! Here is my turkey from the weekend. I was going to rotisserie it but turns out the motor was too weak! So I just oven roasted it. I didn’t have much time to prep it- just rubbed with sugar and salt the day before, left it uncovered to dry out the surface in the fridge, then oiled it right before cooking.

Attachments

• IMG_9296.jpeg
    IMG_9296.jpeg
    331.3 KB · Views: 10
That looks awesome Crummybun! Here is my turkey from the weekend. I was going to rotisserie it but turns out the motor was too weak! So I just oven roasted it. I didn’t have much time to prep it- just rubbed with sugar and salt the day before, left it uncovered to dry out the surface in the fridge, then oiled it right before cooking.
Looks awesome! I love turkey, I can eat it for days.

I was going to dry brine mine as well but the fridge was too full and I was afraid it may be too salty with all the products I was adding to it. So our skin wasn't crispy, but it was very flavorful.

Interesting that your rotisserie wouldn't turn your bird.. Now I feel like I need to test my rotisseries resolve, lol. We contemplated doing it on the rotisserie, but spatchcocking is so reliable for us.

Hi Rob,

Yes! That’s how I did the one above, and it was a bit overly dark in spots (I left it in a tad too long).

If you have a convection oven (I don’t) it also will help and you could probably use that to get away without drying the skin in fridge as I suggest.

Also I favour a shallow pan. It gets more of that hot dry air at the sides and legs than if you use a deep roasting pan.

No more flaccid skin :ROFLMAO:

As per Google when you search "dry brine".

Introducing Dry Brining
Simply put, it involves salting and then resting food before cooking it. Dry brining uses the food's own moisture to form the brine that then soaks back in. Along with producing juicy, flavorful results, dry brining also helps us achieve better browning and crispy skin.

I use kosher salt, then rest it in the fridge from 4hrs to 24hrs. Anything less or more dosent seem to make much of a difference to me.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks