Off Topic Lowrance question

cmac

After a trip to Stanley after supper last night, I went back home and grabbed the big girl and put her in for the first time this year. She didn't disappoint me! However, my 1 year old Lowrance Hook2 7" Split Shot HDI did. Powered up fine though shuts down as soon as I give any throttle. Voltage is consistent @ 13.4v all connections are clean and tight, same mounting location as last year and worked perfectly last year. Any one have experienced this issue with their Lowrance and any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Mike

Not sure, just guessing but maybe a software update is required.

I had my Hook doing the same thing last year. It would turn on and work but as soon as I started throttling up, it would shut down. I had to splice in a new power cable- the first one had a broken wire at the plug from me taking it on/off the boat all the time. Got a new cable at Angling Outfitters. Jos tested the unit for me and it was working perfectly. Together we surmised it must be the cable at the plug end.

Mine is also experiencing that issue,, Its 2 years old tho,, and figured it was a voltage spike or drop issue from the old 140.
I dont have a volt meter on my boat, but I dont think you would see the short duration a spike would be due to rapid increase in throttle on a voltage gauge on the dash.

You would need a digital meter that records peaks and lows.

I need to get a second transducer and was gonna ask at Angling Outfitters when I went in for that.
I will post here if I get an answer.

@Ledhed, do you think it was the end that plugs into the Hook ??

Yes it was for me. Once I had the unit checked out with Jos - we started wiggling the plug at the back of the unit and it would shut down, So every time I was out on the boat and gave it some throttle , the vibration would cause the wire to lose connection and shut it down. I cut that plug out and replaced it with the one from Jos and works perfect since.

Do you have a separate battery in your boat that you can use instead of the starting battery for the big motor? I have a battery just for my electronics and downriggers that is charged by my kicker motor.

Look's like I'm not alone with this and it is a common issue. Fireram, I have all the proper meters for testing this and it displayed no voltage issues. The first thing I did was to move the power cable connection around gently just enough so if there was a connection concern, it would have shown up but didn't interrupt the display one bit. (didn't lose connection). I guess the smart thing to do is take the unit to Josh and have him check it out and go from there. Get her fixed and get the season started!
Thanks for your input folks,
much appreciated.

Do you have a separate battery in your boat that you can use instead of the starting battery for the big motor? I have a battery just for my electronics and downriggers that is charged by my kicker motor.
It's running off of one of the house batteries by itself.

Well, was hoping it was a voltage or wiring issue,, something I could fix,, But sounds like you have tried everything I would.

Ill take the unit with me also when I go to get a spare transducer.

On the way to Bass Pro today, I stopped in at Angler Outfitter to have Josh look at the Lowrance head to determine why it shuts off when throttle is applied. Turned out to be the power plug was popping out ever so slightly enough to lose connection. He's never seen that before. After trying a hand full of new cables, he found one that fit snug. $30 later, all good! He said bring him the old one and he will give me $20 for it. In the end it will cost me $10! How sweet is that!
On one thread someone here mentioned they can't see their cannon ball. Josh changed the fish finder sensitivity and said now you can see the cannon ball and still see the fish. Something those who were asking might want to try.
By the way, I was so stoked that I don't have to fork out another $700 for a chart plotter, I went home and forgot to go to Bass Pro. Stoked or an age thing...make your own judgement. lol.

Glad you figured it - guys at Angling Outfitters are awesome 👍!

Back