Looking for Some Advice

M_P

Heading out to Lake O in the morning with my Father in-law in the morning to try some trolling. He bought a 17 Wilker years ago that came with 3 electric down riggers. The guy threw in 2 rods and a bunch of spoons as well. Dad has never really used this stuff and he's gotten the itch to try lately. I have rewired the the riggers for him and everything works so far. We are thinking of putting in at Prudhome's and seeing what happens.
Here's my conundrum. My sons have caught wind of this and I will not get out of the house without them and that's fine with me but we only have two trolling rods and 3 down riggers. I figure for a third rod we'll just use one my heavy action levelwind that I use for Musky. Riggers have counters on them so we don't have to worry about a line counter. For the fourth would you suggest a planer board and a dipsey or is there a way to rig two lines on one cannon ball?

Thanks in advance.

I used to always use 9' ugly stick ML rod for downrigging. I would use a Med. 7' rod before a heavy musky rod.

You are allowed two rods per person on the great lakes, but gets tricky managing 6+ rods.

Dipsy's would be good as well as just running a flat line out the back of boat. If you don't have line counters or depth hunter fishing line???
i suggest pulling line out at home and use a marker and putting a dot every 50'

Use your heaviest rod for dipsy's , as dipsys put allot of strain on the rod, otherwise good quality med. is fine for riggers and flatlining

Well we launched at the Beacon, trolled around for 4 hours and no action at all. Found some stackers and figured out how to use them. We had 5 lines out on 3 riggers and only managed to tangle lines up once so while we didn't catch anything we did learn a bit about how to go at it again next time.

Back