Looking for a place to hunt over the holidays?

archer

I just saw this on the Rondeau Bay Waterfowlers Association website.

http://rondeauwaterfowlers.com/

Merry Christmas and Happy New year to our fellow waterfowlers and their families!
Due to the current weather conditions the Waterfowl Unit will remain open (until ice up) according to the following schedule.
The Waterfowler Unit will be open on the following days (until ice up).

Saturday the 24th, Christmas eve, open till 1 pm, no evening hunt
Dec 26th, boxing day, open all day
Dec 28th, open all day
Dec 30th, open all day
Dec 31st, New Years eve, open till 1 pm, no evening hunt
January 2,4,6,7, 2012 open all day

For more info call the Waterfowler office at 519-674-1775

Be aware that after Dec 20, 2011, no black ducks are allowed and that geese end on the Dec 28, 2011.

All other ducks end on Jan 8, 2012, which for Rondeau is the Jan 7, 2012

Paul

What a Great Association to do that for the Public!

BD

Sometimes it is best to leave a sleeping dog sleep

I would have been nice to have it happen here at Long Point supposedly the premier place to hunt in Ontario but it would be nice to actually hear why it isn't happening. What are the issues and how can they be dealt with for future opportunities?

I was just @ Walmart and they had tissues on sale if that helps ya out :D
Some people that run the unit might want to actually spend time with their families and friends this time of year
Just one thought

Sonny, not a simple answer. The Park and the MNR set the opening and closing dates for the Unit. It is somewhat dictated my the special regulations which created A-zone and the Unit. At our most recent meeting (Dec. 11th) the BOD of the LPWA asked the Park and the MNR to review the regs to see what our options are. There is the issue of the late duck season but may be even more important its is starting to look like there will be a special Youth day the Saturday before the regular season next year. We need to know if the special regulations which created A-zone and the Unit will allow this.

This is a very unusual season. I think last year the last ducks shot in the unit were around Dec. 5th. Our feeding permit ran out the 10th and when we asked for an extension we were refused We even discussed purchasing ice-eaters to keep the feed ponds open longer but felt we have to find out where we stand legally first.

If we can extend the season legally then we will have to deal with the issues of staffing, if there will be enough usage to cover costs, access to ramps etc, etc etc.

This will be an issue for our 2012 Annual General Meeting.

I think the latest I can recall shooting from a Unit blind that was not in the creek or field was December 10. This certainly is an unusual year.

Paul

I can remember a few great very late shoots. Not many years they were possible but when they were they were memorable. I will never forget about 15 years ago in #20 (a blind which is vacant 90% of days) shooting 10 mallards and 2 blacks and having to pass on around 50 blacks till we could find the mallards in the flocks. We were still done by noon in bright clear sunshine. I am pretty sure that was the 20th or at least the last day the unit was open.

Most years the chance of a good shoot are over well before the unit closes.

The freeze up of the marshes and small waters normally turns on my other spots. They're pretty slow this year for obvious reasons.

Black ducks have been tormenting me for a few weeks now. Groups of 5 to over a dozen. Not a single green head.

Just read my last post and didn't realize ,how I worded it sounded insulting...
Not my intensions!!!!
Sorry Guys
Just me... Being a smart a$$
just meant that it's sad to see the season come to an end once again
:(

Hello Singlemalt,

I just received an e-mail yesterday informing me that the proposal to implement Waterfowl Heritage Days in the Province of Ontario should be in place for next September.

The proposal suggested the weekend prior to the start of the regular Southern District Waterfowl Season so that would include both the Saturday and the Sunday throughout the Southern District if accepted as presented (where Sunday hunting is permitted).

I posted this proposal on Channel 68 last winter.

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

PS I also received an update on the proposal to remove Mute Swans from the List of Protected Species and on the proposal to implement a Mourning Dove harvest in the Province of Ontario.

PS An attachment was also included with the e-mail but I was not able to open it.

Hello Singlemalt,

I realize that there are certain issues with extending the LPWMU operation to coincide with the extended Southern District Waterfowl Season. However as far as the cost of staffing is concerned this is where my previous proposal to the LPWA Board of Directors to implement (recommend to the LPWMU staff) a "Self Serve" system for blind selection during the later portion of the season would have merit.

I would be willing to serve on a LPWA committee in consideration of this issue.

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

PS I drove down to Long Point on December 25, 2003 while my previous house was under construction and the bay was ice free with several hundred ducks flying about over Big Creek and around the Inner Bay.

PS I rented Blind 20 once a few years ago and I sat looking at an empty sky all day.

Self serving system might work only when there aren't very many hunters on a given day. But I liked the idea as Prequile Point WU does that. There must be some something that can automatically supersede the rule and regulation when an unusual situation arises like longer and warmer season.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks