Looking for a kayak, any advice?

@sonsofishes i heard deer creek is good, does it cost money to launch there? I went to whittaker last summer once and it cost me 20$..... I have a real hard time justifying that

I have taken mine in algonquin quite a ways in. Tent and sleeping bag can fit in my dry wells, adds about 15 pounds for the portage.( so 75 lbs in total), rest of my gear fits in the back well easilly. I go in the thames quite a bit, i did a float from springbank into the deleware conservation area. Pond mills quite a bit and a few ponds around mt. brydges. Of course long point quite a bit. I have a mast with a flag that attaches and a light on it for safety. Like i said the 10 foot is great, i just drop the tailgate, throw it in and strap it, ready for fishing. I am a lighter guy, i think my 10 foot is good for 300 lbs, so no problem with me and my gear for a week long trip, obviously the larger the yak the more weight you can fit. So if you weigh 200 lbs you might want to get one that can handle more. Im 150-160 so i have alot of room for gear.

@Cam Reeves I won't do much portaging, I'm primarily looking for a way to get out fishing more than once a week. The idea of just throwing it in the back of my truck is what attracted me to it... Would a 12 be easy enough to strap in there, or is that bed extender territory? Or, as long as I keep my gear light, could I pull off a 10 footer (I sit around 200 lbs)? Or is that really starting to push the limits of its stability?

@HotPickle... You said you wanted something you could stand in so may want to consider a standing/leaning assist bar such as this Yak Attack Command Stand. I don't know much about kayaking but this looks like it would make things a lot more stable and they just fold out of the way when not needed. Just a thought. :)

1523290516099.png

Look at the pelican catch as well. I bought the 120 two years ago and love it. Stable sit on top with a comfortable seat and easy to customize with extras !

A friend has that stand on his kayak for bonefish down south. If you are creek fishing it is useless to a 70 year old but young guns maybe ok. His yak is 12 or maybe even 14 and can mount a trolling motor and battery. Great for bigger water but the creeks its a pain in the ass.

I went cheep $300 10ft sit on top yak from cRapp tire on sale used is last summer for bass fishing after work or a few holes I couldn't launch my boat. Added a rod holder and works great for me with a boat to fish on the weekend I felt like I dident need a big yak. I will be attaching a better seat on this spring.

I've stepped my way up through a couple fishing kayaks.
I've fished bass, pike, catfish, and musky out of a kayak at different times.
There's a ton of options, and like everything else in fishing, you can spend a little or an unlimited amount getting into it.
Things to consider are sit on vs sit in, length, weight, weight capacity, stability and probably more.....
If you're going to be fishing rivers and small water, than a shorter boat is more maneuverable.
I'm a big guy, so I had to consider the total weight capacity of any boat I looked at.
Overall weight can be a pain. My boat weighs almost 100 lbs, so loading and unloading can be a hassle.
I started with a cheaper sit in, and ended up upgrading to a Jackson kayak sit on top. I love it once I'm in the water. I did get a cart to transport it to and from the car.
Any specific questions, I'll do my best to answer.
The cuda feels like a boat!

Along the thames is fun to I like the chance at walleye and jack. You can find plenty of spots to launch for free. The creeks are fun you can launch and go down river and find a good catfishing hole. Ive never paid to launch at waterford

Does anyone fish Sharon's creek? When I was younger and much greener I tried from the bank and came up empty handed. I always wanted to give it a shot in there with something that floats, I think this is the year

I fish the Sharon Dam a few years ago, from a canoe. All I did for the whole day was wash my tackle; not one hit. I found out later that they drain the reservoir every couple of years; right down to the basic tiny creek. Anything in there gets flushed into the Thames.

Dan

Last edited:
Went kayaking with Grandson with two borrowed sit-ons last year. They allowed access to marsh and was one of the best 3 hours ever. The seating was awful. No back support, no where to put your feet or support your knees. They were more beach toys than what you'd use for fishing.
I'd say make sure the seat is right.

@Larry Lloyd i guess the seat/comfort is everything eh... I almost bought a kayak on sale last weekend but my girlfriend pumped the brakes because the seat looked like it would have been hell on my back. That's what prompted me to start this thread

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks