LongPoint Ice Fishing - Any assistance greatly appreciated

Maestrolaker

Have never fished the Bay but looking for alternative to Lake Simcoe.

Have argo and all the gear but looking for some basic input from anyone willing to share.

What is best place to access bay with an argo.....or is it just as easy to walk out. Have no problem with 1M or so hike if needed.

How far out is one needing to go? and in what direction from launch?
water depth one should be looking for?

I am not averse to using an outfitter either and would take any suggestions on who is best to use.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Maestrolaker

I have always gone out of St Williams but you can also go from Long Point. It has been quite a few years since I have been out there but we usually went due south from St Williams to about the half way point. Sorry it is pretty vague but it has been a few years.

thanks Boltzz....any info to get me headed in right direction is useful and appreciated. Been fishing Cooks bay and looking for a change...been on Erie chasing eyes many times but never ice fished it

Nice to see you posting again
For sure @Smok'n Bat'r @jumbos has some great post/tip’s,photo’s especially from walleye fishing on Lake Erie,also smallmouth bass fishing on the innerbay,etc.from over the year’s on @stomp and I actually first met @jumbos on long point bay while ice fishing,many years ago.Please keep on posting @jumbos & maybe we will meet up again on the inner bay of long point bay ice fishing or boat fishing. Tight lines & Fish ON!! (y):)

Still be careful because there is some soft spots where huts have been and weeds near the surface plus cracks that open then freeze with a dusting of snow can mean your going for a swim:eek::banghead::arghh::hungover:
Believe me, I've found a few. Follow a big guy, my buddies do, for some reason I'm always ahead of them:unsure:

thanks for feedback....appreciate the word of caution fish farmer.....i'm a Manitoba boy and we don't worry much about ice conditions when winter rolls in....usually more concerned about whether someone remembered the auger extension. gonna take the argo out on Old Cut Sunday and hope to get into some fun...maybe WIlliams pending ongoing feedback on the forum. I've never fished either summer or winter thus appreciate all the commentary.

Having lived most of my life in Manitoba I know the pain of forgetting the extension and then not being able to get through to the water.

Back