long point cottages

Buckhorn

I see more road flooding at long point this morning. We are looking at areas to get a cottage, for those with cottages in the long point area - also turkey point from what I've seen - how big of an issue is the flooding? does it impact regular use of your property, or cause higher maintenance costs?
1633782996933.png

The level of Lake Erie is down compared to the past couple of years but it is still possible to get a seiche causing water levels to rise, A "seiche" is caused by atmospheric condition which can force water to one end of a lake or reservoir causing the other end to drop. Much like blowing on a bowl full of water. I think what you seen on the web cam is just water on the road caused by the amount of rainfall we have had lately.

As for maintenance ? As I don't have that worry anymore so I will go on what I remember ; Raking up debris after an event, making sure you have rubber boots available. having a parking spot on high ground, flood prevention for basement and the possibility of buildings settling because of the saturation factor. The bonus is the grass is always green !

I see more road flooding at long point this morning. We are looking at areas to get a cottage, for those with cottages in the long point area - also turkey point from what I've seen - how big of an issue is the flooding? does it impact regular use of your property, or cause higher maintenance costs?
View attachment 50722
Looks like I just parked after launching my boat. My back door is still open and my boat sitting at the dock waiting for me..

There was quite a bit of rainfall yesterday early morning, 15ml per hour I think the forecast was saying.
I don’t think water sitting on the road is a normal thing as I rarely encounter it when I go there a few times per year. And usually during rainy season.

Wouldn't rule out a seiche ; any sign of a "high tide" mark ? Otherwise I will go with ground saturation. The area is surrounded by seawall and after many years of traffic the ground is compacted and macadam doesn't drain well. Also I know here in Clear Creek the past few rain events dropped at least 2 inches per storm.

Back