long lines for divers

Jacob Ferreira

for all you diver hunters out there how thick of rope should i use for my long lines so the drop lines to the decoys don't move around during rough water!

I use 1/4 inch nylon -you can buy at Bass Pro or Cabela's . Remember you want one that sinks not one that floats. Use a 3 or 4 lb anchor minimum to secure line. I anchor only one end so that any wind changes the line will move with it and still be good.Use at least 3 foot long cords on decoys .I use close to 4 as I want to make sure dogs don't get tangled up in the lines .Also if I am out walking in the decoys the line is usually on the bottom so I am not tripping over it as well if you are hunting some shallower areas .

okay thanks was thinking about getting that 1/4 inch line just wasn't sure if it would be thick enough for the clips attached to the drop lines. Also typically how long do you run your lines when hunting from shore as well as how many decoys per line?

If you are hunting from shore remember you have to retrieve your birds .If you are in a boat up against the marsh give yourself a 20-30 yard shot at the front of your decoys .Remember if you have the wind at your back leave room for birds that are thinking of landing to be able to take off.otherwise they won't land just pass by. They need to run on the water into the wind and require 10-20 yards to take off so if possible try to make your kill zone a side shoot not a head on shoot .As far as the number of decoys goes I use 1 long line of approx 24 birds with Cans at the end for visibility and either 1 or 2 short lines of 12 birds plus roughly 2 dozen individual birds anchored on their own anchors to round out the spread .

ohh ok i see, so basically a side ways "j" would be fine. Ill be running 3 doz Bluebills and 2 doz redheads plus a doz mallards so I'm sure a set up close to what your talking about should be fine Should have bought a box of Cans also... I wasn't thinking about the visibility they provide like you said, oh well though i think the redheads and bluebills will be noticed just fine! Thanks @sonnyuphi

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks