Fishing Report Local Brown Trout Report

Speedy Turtle

Had an extremely fun 2 days of brown trout fishing with a ton of hookups! Went 2/4 on the first day, but did much better day 2 with about a dozen hookups. No big fish to play with, but still had a good time. All caught in a local stream on spinners and would appreciate if you could check out my video Screenshot_20220618-194137~2.pngScreenshot_20220618-193901~2.png

So help me out here. Two look like Browns to me but the center picture is what we always referred to as a "brookie" is that not??

The center picture is also a Brown, it lacks the vermiculations on the back that Brookie's have.

Juvenile Brown's often have a white edged anal fin, it generally disappears as the fish matures.

Trout - dark spots on a light body - pure white mouths
Char - (Brookie's) light spots on a dark body - black gums

This is a cut paste general descriptor.......

"The first thing you should look at is their spots. Are they lighter than the rest of their body, or darker? If their spots are lighter, it’s probably a Brook Trout. If not, chances are it’s a Brown Trout. While you’re looking, check out the halos around the spots. These will have a bluish tint on Brookies, but will be plain whitish on Browns.

Another clear sign of which fish you’ve caught is its markings. Brook Trout have a distinctive wormlike pattern on their backs. They also have white edging along their lower fins, as well as the bottom of their tail. Brown Trout don’t have any of these things. (
Note*--- that is somewhat inaccurate as I noted above)

Still can’t tell what you’re holding? Take a look at the tail. Brook Trout have splotches and spots all over their tails. Brown Trout tails are usually plain, with a few spots on the top half at most."

The center picture is also a Brown, it lacks the vermiculations on the back that Brookie's have.

Juvenile Brown's often have a white edged anal fin, it generally disappears as the fish matures.

Trout - dark spots on a light body - pure white mouths
Char - (Brookie's) light spots on a dark body - black gums

This is a cut paste general descriptor.......

"The first thing you should look at is their spots. Are they lighter than the rest of their body, or darker? If their spots are lighter, it’s probably a Brook Trout. If not, chances are it’s a Brown Trout. While you’re looking, check out the halos around the spots. These will have a bluish tint on Brookies, but will be plain whitish on Browns.

Another clear sign of which fish you’ve caught is its markings. Brook Trout have a distinctive wormlike pattern on their backs. They also have white edging along their lower fins, as well as the bottom of their tail. Brown Trout don’t have any of these things. (
Note*--- that is somewhat inaccurate as I noted above)

Still can’t tell what you’re holding? Take a look at the tail. Brook Trout have splotches and spots all over their tails. Brown Trout tails are usually plain, with a few spots on the top half at most."
Well now I learned something. I mistook a lot of young browns for Brookies in my youth and still thought they were bookies to date. Thanks @Spiel

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks