livebait / herring rigs for walleye

Puddle Jumper

Just wondering if anyone on here has triied or used herring / anchovies like used for salmon, using either the herring / smelt rigs ...... or even using live minnows on harness.

I'm thinking with the tuff start too the season, it might be time too think outside the box.....And try unconventional setups. ..... "dare to be different"

Does anyone use : flasher's or spin doctors, flys, lymans. I'm thinking with clear erie water, that flashers might spook fish....whats everyone thought?

Excellent questions puddlejumper! ! I was wondering about cut bait for walleye as well. Bet ya they'd probably smash them, mite have to give that a go next time.

Excellent questions puddlejumper! ! I was wondering about cut bait for walleye as well. Bet ya they'd probably smash them, mite have to give that a go next time.
My theory is we always...drift, jig, & troll northern ontario with 2-6" minnows....so I don't see why erie walleye wouldn't take a 5-8" herring or cut bait......plus it should cut down on the # of silver bass

I'm heading out tomorrow, but not sure if will be able to try it, as i'm a guest on another members boat

2015-07-25_minnow bait.jpg Hoping to give these a try tomorrow...got 2, 8" herring and 3, 4" shiners soaking in Berkley powerbait walleye attractant....now should i use the 4" on a anchovy rig or just use them on erie derie or worm harness???
Has anyone triied this before for walleye??

When I have gone on the charter out of Kingsville we just were casting and using a worm harness.

I've used rigs for anchovies, herring, smelt...Krippled Herring...they're a plastic hood that you stick the head of the bait into, and it has a hook that threads through the back. You can find them at http://www.redlsports.com/b2b/Searc...word=&page=home&clicked=brand&product=Fishing which is a wholesaler but they list retailers you can buy from. Cabelas sells the heads..
s7_133446_renderset_01

Check out some of the local larger retail shops...they may carry them.
I've never used them on Erie, but have on Ontario for salmon and in the USA for stripers.
Can't see why they wouldn't work on Erie for eyes.

Last edited:
I've used rigs for anchovies, herring, smelt...Krippled Herring...they're a plastic hood that you stick the head of the bait into, and it has a hook that threads through the back. You can find them at http://www.redlsports.com/b2b/Searc...word=&page=home&clicked=brand&product=Fishing which is a wholesaler but they list retailers you can buy from. Cabelas sells the heads..
s7_133446_renderset_01

Check out some of the local larger retail shops...they may carry them.
I've never used them on Erie, but have on Ontario for salmon and in the USA for stripers.
Can't see why they wouldn't work on Erie for eyes.
i've used them before for salmon on huron and ontario, I was wondering if anyone triied them on erie

I triied using 4" shiners today on a worm harness behing 6 colours of leadcore......had a nice roll to it and looked very good........caught a silver bass on one and had allot of hits and chunks bitten out of another.
I think if we could have found the walleye ...they would have hit them

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks