Live Bait Regs

Why not just say all bait must come out of water body it's is used in? Or better yet ban pet stores from bringing in invasive species? I know that might mean pet perch instead of gold fish, but they have nice stripes.

This just means there looking at it...... doesn't mean squat yet.

Knowing the way they manage Ontario deer herds they will probably just ban worms.......LOL!

If this law ever gets passed does anyone think it will be the end of sport fishing for perch? I have tried salted minnows but NOTHING works as well as live minnows!

I did a google search on "Sport Fishing". Apparently eating the fish isn't considered part of the Sport. Sooo if I am fishing to eat the fish I may not fall under "Sport Fishing" regulations. The regs we get from our local outlets are merely a synopsys of the actual regulations in place. I have no idea what the full regulations say nor could I interpret them. I consider myself to be a well informed fisherman doing my best to stay within the Law.

Imagine if you can, the occasional family fishing.

I respect the Law and understand why we have to have regulation. I don' t understand why the Law has to be ambiguous and written in legalise.
Just me beaking off folks. Maybe some ice will help.

Clark

Recreational fishing, also called sport fishing, is fishing for pleasure or competition. It can be contrasted withcommercial fishing, which is fishing for profit, or subsistence fishing, which is fishing for survival.

My dictionary might be a little outdated and the way this year went my sport fishing meant I had to go buy fillets! $60 in gas for the truck, $100 gas in the boat $15 to launch $20 for supper. Wish I had enough money that they would just call me eccentric$

If this law ever gets passed does anyone think it will be the end of sport fishing for perch? I have tried salted minnows but NOTHING works as well as live minnows!

Live minnows are so popular for perch because they bring about the most action most days because every size of perch will eat them. However, artificial baits can and do out fish live bait and will often result in a larger average being caught. Many anglers who target jumbo's wouldn't even consider using minnows as they attract smaller fish, cause cold hands, require constant re-rigging, and the extra weight and space required for them when ice fishing simply isn't worth it. Minnows typically result in quantity, not quality.

I use to be in the same boat and thought minnows were the best (only?) way of catching perch. Now that I know how to use artificial's for perch my hands stay warmer, my ice fishing sled is a bucket and 15 lbs of water lighter, and I find myself bringing home more jumbo's...

The "proposed" changes in legislation will not effect anyone livebait fishing for perch in Lake Erie. They are considering changes in live bait use in Provincial Parks and Conservation areas only as well as some changes in the harvest and storage of bait, like the live bait boxes and minnow traps used as storage. I personally don't think bait harvested from watershed "A" should be transported for use in watershed "B" anyway. If anything the availability of getting live bait may be effected. And like @ERIEBUOY said if they move as fast on this as other proposed changes any level of government proposes my grand children may be effected. So no need to start any winternet rumors. Someone yesterday told us we can't use minnows anymore in Ontario and was genuinely upset. I should have told him I read the first 3 lines of the article too and he was right on. Calmita tutti.

It's always best to stop a rumour before it gets started. 30 years ago someone started a rumour that we would have to buy a license to fish and that the funds generated would help improve our fisheries! We all had a good laugh and dismissed it as gossip, what a ridiculous idea!

Well we could move down the road of quebec they have baned all use of minnows dead or alive. It used to be just live minnows but recently they have gone all live and dead minnows are baned for fishing in all bodies of water. I hope we do not go in that direction.

Has anyone considered the ramifications of this on a place like Long Point. Many anglers launch at the provincial park, but fish outside its actual boundaries. I'm sure it's intended for smaller lakes entirely in parks, but we need to look at the ramifications on the many provincial parks along Lake Erie.

I have heard from anglers who say they have good success with artificials on Lake Erie perch. I also fished once with a well known angler who admitted artificial bait works well with perch on other waters, but it's a tougher sell to Lake Erie perch.

Back