Learning the ropes...

Jay

Took advantage of the warm weather and took our son out for a little river fishing. With only his rubber boots we did not have access to all the places I frequent. Still, this trip was about him learning the ropes. No steelhead or browns on this trip BUT the abundance Creek Chub made for an entertaining time for Trevor. Even at 8 years old he pics up on things quick.

Soon those Creek Chub will be Steelhead pulling down his float. I think that Santa will need to bring him some waders for next year. I saw many others out enjoying the beauty day. With the snow flurries forecasted for later in the week I was glad to get the young lad out.

Tight Lines, Jay

TrevorFloating1.jpg

that's great, never to young to get them in the outdoors
Very true. Had my littlest one out with her pink. 22 Savage Rascal "squirrel" hunting... Ended up just a nice walk with my girl for 45 minutes and then we shot a dozen shots together at an old porcelain covered metal bowl. I was shooting peanuts off the top of it and she was learning how to use the peep sites and hit the bowl 4 times. Love it. She's 5 kids are never too young to get outdoors.

Hope your boy grows to love fishing Jay.

@Jay your post brought me back to 1973. The rubber boots that rubbed my heels raw when my socks slid down, the tackle bag slung over my shoulder full of chips, pop and freshly picked dewies from our backyard. I remembered the man who took me to the creek too, taught me how to tie the right knots well, check my line for nicks, and most importantly how to slow down and become part of the water around me and think about what I was doing.

As an adult I've had to relearn to slow down from the rat race pace once the vest went on. I've never had the patience to take my baby girl to the creek and teach her what I wish I had now. She loved spending time trolling Deer Creek for a few hours but bushing it wasn't her idea of fun time with dad.

Thanks for sharing your outing with us.

Reactions: Jay
Mint... A day he will always remember I'm sure... :)

Reactions: Jay
@Jay your post brought me back to 1973. The rubber boots that rubbed my heels raw when my socks slid down, the tackle bag slung over my shoulder full of chips, pop and freshly picked dewies from our backyard. I remembered the man who took me to the creek too, taught me how to tie the right knots well, check my line for nicks, and most importantly how to slow down and become part of the water around me and think about what I was doing.

As an adult I've had to relearn to slow down from the rat race pace once the vest went on. I've never had the patience to take my baby girl to the creek and teach her what I wish I had now. She loved spending time trolling Deer Creek for a few hours but bushing it wasn't her idea of fun time with dad.

Thanks for sharing your outing with us.

I have been thinking about those boots of his for a week now. He will be in waders soon so we can explore and fish a little more. We spoke at dinner one night this week. I told him "you keep drifting that float the way you were one day those Creek Chub will be Steelhead pulling it down." The twinkle in his eye has something to behold. Introducing people, especially kids, to fishing gives me more fulfillment than catching them myself most days. Damn...am I ever getting sentimental with age. lol

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks