Lead core line getting tangled in dipsy diver

Joel

Any tips will be helpful I have been getting tangles the set up I have been doing is
Dipsy rods on back corners of boat set at # 3 setting from 80 to 140 ft line out.
Next I send lead core out the back from 100 to 400 ft line out then I clip on a inline planer and go up and over dipsy rod then run out 50 to 75 ft of line and place in holder out to side of boat towards bow.
I use my electric trolling motor to steer boat straight so its not sharpe turns.

Set your lead out first as it is getting tangled with the dipseys when you set it last

Will give it a try so if the lead is brought in and the dipsy is still in should I take dipsy out also and start new on every set.

Don’t take this the wrong way but is it possible that the dipsy isn’t clipped in and or pops out while letting it go out so it’s effectively near surface the whole time and tangling with whatever comes over it?

Herefishyfishy

Don’t take this the wrong way but is it possible that the dipsy isn’t clipped in and or pops out while letting it go out so it’s effectively near surface the whole time and tangling with whatever comes over it?

Herefishyfishy

I'm thinking the same thing as I run my setup the same way and never once have I had an issue. Could be that maybe the dipsy maybe set too light and trips off as soon as it hits the water?

what angle are your dipsy rods in holders.....I run mine straight out with the rod tip just off the water and not higher than sides of boat. also I run my dipsy rods in ruffly the middle of the boat not the back. also depending on speed with only 80' on the dipsy its probably only 26 or 27' down

any tips on how to not get the dipsy, snubber, and leader tangled? i’m using a size 3 behind the snubber and size 2 in front of my lure

For the snubber issue make sure you let them out fairly slowly, if you let them out erratic or quickly it will wrap on the snubber almost every time.

any tips on how to not get the dipsy, snubber, and leader tangled? i’m using a size 3 behind the snubber and size 2 in front of my lure

If my memory serves me ...your snubber should be behind the Dypsy. clipped to the Dypsy… The way I read your post you are using two dypsy's on the same line..???

I run the same set up on one side of the boat and have never tangled. Your dipsy should be pulling way underneath the lead core when you set up. I would have to agree with previous posts that the dipsy is releasing before the lead is over it. 2 dipsies tangling is another story

If your going to let a lead core out the shoot (centre of the back of the boat). You will need to let all the leadcore out until your into the backig the. 1. clip the online onto the line 2. Toss it into the prop wash or slightly behind 3. Allow it to free float out twenty or thirty feet and give it a bit of tension to right the board. 4. Slowly feed more line out as the board is brought around to the outside. 5. Tighten the drag just enough to hold the line from spooling out. Make sure clicker is engaged.

Not the best pic but it's all I got. But with my dipsy, I basically have the tip as close as i can to the water.
So way I have it is rigger, dipsy, and then the leadcore.
Just start off with a little bit at a time till you figure things out and what works.
20180701_092739.jpg

I had the pleasure of fishing on Sunday as a guest on a friend's boat.

Eight lines... 2 lead core on in-line planer boards, 2 dipsys a side, and two downriggers.

All lines were released slowly and controlled during initial setup and while either checking lines or catching/releasing fish throughout the morning.

Four incredibly minor 2 line tangles, only taking moments to correct, and it didn't matter what rod was reeled in or reset, nothing else was reeled in during the catch/keep/release or re-setting of that/those line(s). (The boat had a couple of doubles.)

It was great experience and an education for me, and.......

I learned that lead core can indeed out fish everything else, might have even been everything else combined. GO figure. :eek::wideyed::D

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks