Lead Core Line Brand Choices

hvyhaul

I'm planning on adding a couple of 5 colour LC rods to run off my inline planer boards for 2019. :unsure: Not looking to go segmented, just two simple 5 colour rods.

What line do you use and are the advanced lines worth it? (30% deeper) I haven't found much lately on reliability, while in the past read about easy breakage and short life span. My first two rods were spooled for me so I don't know what is on them. I do like the results. :D

I'm not looking to pan a product/manufacturer, just advice from experience.

Thanks in advance.

With the number of "plans for next year threads" including mine, I'm seeing visions of a Dear Santa, all I want for Christmas Thread. ;):):LOL:

When I ran lead core I mostly used 27 lb. Sufix with mixed results on reliability. I tried Tuff Line for 1 season but did not like it at all as it was far too stiff for my liking. Never tried the micro core but after many years I don't use lead core anymore. Although extremely effective especially for walleye I just got tired of winding miles of lead for 20+ junk fish most times out and also the colossal tangles that occurred on occasion due to driver errors.:rolleyes: The last few years I just run Dipsys and riggers which I find far less frustrating making the days more enjoyable. Also I don't need reels the size of a construction winch to hold all that lead plus 300 yds. of braid backing, LOL! ;):)

Posts like this will get as many different answers as comments...

I've used Cortland, Suffix, and tuff line... All good if you take care of it... Only use 27lb...

Next time I'm in the US I'll be picking up some Stealth core... It's supposed to be a game changer...

They sell for $17.99 USD 100 yd. spool or $149.99 1,000 yd. Even with exchange the price isn't too bad.

I'm sure it will get cheaper yet, Fishusa discounts line many times a year and there shipping price cant be beat.

It's not the price... The shipping cost would be scary...

I ship to a brown box in Niagara Falls. Haven't had to pay duty in 2 years.

I just plan for someday when I or my brother will be down that way and then add that stop.

Last edited:
its not the duty... its the weight... with 11 rods and 57 colors... I'll be down that way before spring hopefully...

That is quite the shopping list.

For what its worth, I've never paid a penny for shipping either. Free Economy shipping over $50. The brown box is in NY.

Last edited:

its not the duty... its the weight... with 11 rods and 57 colors... I'll be down that way before spring hopefully...

If your going States side that's one thing but to order from FishUSA the shipping cost is not all that bad. With 11 rods to supply with lead core if you buy the 1,000 yd. roll for $149.99 USD this is the cost:

$149.99 1,000 yd. roll 27 lb.
39.14 UPS Worldwide Expedited Shipping to Ontario
66.20 Exchange Rate @$1.35 on $189.13 USD
$255.33 Total Cost CDN

That works out to $25.53 per 100 yds about the cost of a 100 yd. roll of Sufix Performance standard 27 lb. lead core with tax. That seems very reasonable to me and you don't have to go anywhere it's dropped right at your door. Another way is to have it shipped to Blue Water Shipping Depot in Port Huron and pick it up whenever you go over. They charge $4.99 USD for 0-75 lb. package weight. Not sure but other border crossing points should have a similar service available. However for the shipping cost it's hardly worth driving over to get it in my opinion.

https://www.bluewatershippingdepot.com/

Personally I run 18lb and I just could not pass that spool of stealth on closeout for 57.99 usd

threw in 4 more spoons that are also on sale plus one of those grey t's at the checkout for no extra weight.

The line and shipping worked out to 143 bucks and another 24 cnd for the spoons,

I will always ship usps, which in turn comes Canada post as I am in no mood to deal with the ups's bond charges for collecting tax because you did not follow it up and pay it prior, at least Canada post has some decency on there collecting and I should still get it in time for next season even with the delay of parcels.

Bluewater shipping does a great job, had a kicker shipped there one time.

Back