Landlocked 🚀🎣🐟 for at least up to 2 weeks!! πŸ˜±πŸ™„πŸ‘Ž

As for the fuel I only use high test ethanol free, for the extra couple bucks saves a lot of headaches.( Get it now at costco .10
more a litre)I mentioned last year to throw in some seafoam but that won't help with the ethanol damage , and if you have a old cruddy gas tank it will loosen everything up and cause more grief. Hope you find the problem soon red or I may beat you down to the lake ... coming down July 25 for a few days First trip !
Great advice @Sportfish 2050 about using all premium gasoline only from now on. πŸ‘πŸ‘ For a few dollars more,it is definitely worth while with no headaches!! My boat is 15 year’s old,and hopefully my 40 gallon gasoline tank is not damaged as well,which will add more grief as you have mentioned. Fingers crossed 🀞 🀞 @Sportfish 2050 that my outboard motor will be fixed around July 25 when you come down here for your first trip to Lake Erie to catch some of those walleye’s & rainbow’s!! Maybe we could connect out on Lake Erie,(if my outboard motor is fixed by then),around July 25 and after,when you are here for a few day’s. Thanks again for your help,and Tight lines and walleye’s & rainbow’s ON!! πŸš€πŸŽ£πŸŸπŸŸπŸŸπŸŸπŸŸπŸŸπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ™‚

Attachments

• A0C3DB7E-148E-44D4-9187-F4863E73092D.jpeg
    A0C3DB7E-148E-44D4-9187-F4863E73092D.jpeg
    240.1 KB · Views: 2
  • F7F8C35E-236E-4B57-8262-3D31D14FD45F.jpeg
    F7F8C35E-236E-4B57-8262-3D31D14FD45F.jpeg
    304 KB · Views: 2
  • 958169F3-5308-4E4F-9C13-891E696CCEAB.jpeg
    958169F3-5308-4E4F-9C13-891E696CCEAB.jpeg
    321.7 KB · Views: 2
Just add to the ethanol discussion anyone in London area buying premium at the pumps is now getting 10% ethanol if the pump says so or not. My truck takes 91min and soon as they went to summer gas my fuel mileage which I track regularly dropped due to ethanol showing up. After speaking with a sales rep at Dowler Karn in St.Thomas he said all fuels coming to London from the Sarnia pipeline are automatically being watered down with Ethanol at Sarnia before its pipelined to the London fuel loading facility. Only fuel you can count on not having Ethanol right now is the Sunoco ultra 94 as they ship it separately direct in tankers filling from Nanticoke apparently. Just passing along what I was recently told incase anyone is paying extra for premium believing there's still zero ethanol. It's coming to all fuels, all stations as Trudeau is mandating it hard, so very few ethanol free options left.
Dowler Karn said they have to get ethanol free 89 marine fuel directly from Nanticoke as well but they don't know how quickly they're going to be forced into 10% ethanol in the marina specific fuels too.

Sounds like you're down a cylinder... I'm not too good with newer outboards but check for spark on each plug as a starting point. Pull the plugs, hold them against the cylinder head for ground, and turn it over a few times to look for a bright consistent spark. Hold the plug with insulated plyers to avoid shock. If one isn't sparking, swap plugs and coils to see if the problem moves. If spark checks out you're down to fuel, compression and timing. Timing likely isn't the issue if the other cyls are firing. I've got a compression tester you're welcome to borrow. If it is fuel, you might have to check your injectors as it sounds like you've done lines etc. recently... which usually involves a lot more work.

I agree..it looks and sounds like one cylinder isn't firing
Sounds like you're down a cylinder... I'm not too good with newer outboards but check for spark on each plug as a starting point. Pull the plugs, hold them against the cylinder head for ground, and turn it over a few times to look for a bright consistent spark. Hold the plug with insulated plyers to avoid shock. If one isn't sparking, swap plugs and coils to see if the problem moves. If spark checks out you're down to fuel, compression and timing. Timing likely isn't the issue if the other cyls are firing. I've got a compression tester you're welcome to borrow. If it is fuel, you might have to check your injectors as it sounds like you've done lines etc. recently... which usually involves a lot more work.

Exactly @Derkd9 and you are right,for I never did mention about my outboard motor issues,because my last post fishing with my wife was quite lengthy enough,so therefore the motor issue was not mentioned from our last fishing trip out. That day,the outboard motor was acting up when we got past the Port Stanley break wall’s,but my wife and I were determined to keep going and to catch some walleye’s and rainbow’s,which we eventually did. We eventually made it out to 60 feet of water,while the motor was running very rough,with a lot of shaking going on!! I used the 9.9 Mercury four stroke kicker motor for trolling while we were fishing. On our way back into Port Stanley,we ran the 90 Mercury 4 stroke back in on half throttle,which took forever it seemed,with even more shaking and running rough going on!! I am almost at a point,were I would love to take this 2007 90 h.p. Mercury motor off,and trade it in towards a 2022 outboard motor. But,that would likely still cost me a lot of money πŸ’° πŸ’° to do so. I will have another look today at my broken down 90 mercury 4 stroke outboard motor in my driveway. Tight lines & hopefully we will be back on Lake Erie sometime soon. πŸš€πŸŽ£πŸŸπŸŸπŸŸπŸ€žπŸ€žπŸ‘πŸ™‚
Sure hope it's a quick, simple and not overly costly fix Red.

If it makes you feel any better I won't be fishing this week either by the look of it. Between the wind and rain today, the wind forecasts for most of the rest of the week, an appointment on Wednesday anyways that'll keep me home (required home repairs that I can't do myself) Friday might be ok IF we aren't doing anything, (boss lady is off Fridays) and the forecast changes, but as it stands now, storms again that day, boss lady will have the car on Saturday for a long planned get together with her sister at her dad's place, so I'll be without wheels until she comes home sometime in the afternoon, and then wind and rain again on Sunday, (of course ALL that weather stuff could change between now and then, here's hoping) it's looking like it'll be sometime after next weekend before I get out again.

After that I'm not sure because the boss lady will be starting the second of her three weeks vacation on the 28th at the end of her shift. (the third is at Christmas time) and other than a family event (my family this time, so it's a BIG one) in Brantford at Mohawk Park on the 30th, I haven't been told yet what she wants or plans to do.

Sure hope it's a quick, simple and not overly costly fix Red.

If it makes you feel any better I won't be fishing this week either by the look of it. Between the wind and rain today, the wind forecasts for most of the rest of the week, an appointment on Wednesday anyways that'll keep me home (required home repairs that I can't do myself) Friday might be ok IF we aren't doing anything, (boss lady is off Fridays) and the forecast changes, but as it stands now, storms again that day, boss lady will have the car on Saturday for a long planned get together with her sister at her dad's place, so I'll be without wheels until she comes home sometime in the afternoon, and then wind and rain again on Sunday, (of course ALL that weather stuff could change between now and then, here's hoping) it's looking like it'll be sometime after next weekend before I get out again.

After that I'm not sure because the boss lady will be starting the second of her three weeks vacation on the 28th at the end of her shift. (the third is at Christmas time) and other than a family event (my family this time, so it's a BIG one) in Brantford at Mohawk Park on the 30th, I haven't been told yet what she wants or plans to do.
Good to know & thanks for your update @Trevor M πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ™‚ Someday we will meet up on the Port Bruce pier,and as always,we will keep in touch,and hopefully,Perch ON!! for the both of us!! πŸŽ£πŸŸπŸŸπŸŸπŸŸπŸŸπŸŸπŸ€žπŸ€žπŸ‘πŸ™‚

I also have a 90 4 stroke merc which had similar issues and spent quite a bit at a few marinas, after asking for a compression test they finally figured out 1 cylinder was basically done, just a thought

Great tip’s @anonymoose πŸ‘πŸ‘ and I appreciate your help,especially about borrowing a compression tester. I got a call yesterday,and the marina that I deal with has a opening this week,(sooner than expected),for my outboard motor to be looked at. Here’s hoping 🀞 that it won’t cost too much to fix whatever the problem is. Have a great day. πŸ‘πŸ™‚

I also have a 90 4 stroke merc which had similar issues and spent quite a bit at a few marinas, after asking for a compression test they finally figured out 1 cylinder was basically done, just a thought
That sounds expensive @brentr about your one cylinder being basically done. Who knows what it could be the problem on my outboard motor,but I do have a appointment now this week at a Marina,instead of waiting up to two weeks,(which I was told earlier), for a opening to get my outboard motor repaired.

Just add to the ethanol discussion anyone in London area buying premium at the pumps is now getting 10% ethanol if the pump says so or not. My truck takes 91min and soon as they went to summer gas my fuel mileage which I track regularly dropped due to ethanol showing up. After speaking with a sales rep at Dowler Karn in St.Thomas he said all fuels coming to London from the Sarnia pipeline are automatically being watered down with Ethanol at Sarnia before its pipelined to the London fuel loading facility. Only fuel you can count on not having Ethanol right now is the Sunoco ultra 94 as they ship it separately direct in tankers filling from Nanticoke apparently. Just passing along what I was recently told incase anyone is paying extra for premium believing there's still zero ethanol. It's coming to all fuels, all stations as Trudeau is mandating it hard, so very few ethanol free options left.
Dowler Karn said they have to get ethanol free 89 marine fuel directly from Nanticoke as well but they don't know how quickly they're going to be forced into 10% ethanol in the marina specific fuels too.
Some great information there @RJMP and thanks so much for sharing!! Have a amazing day!! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ™‚

Some great information there @RJMP and thanks so much for sharing!! Have a amazing day!! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ™‚
Interesting info @RJMP. DK has a siding in Sarnia for transferring to their tanks from the train and they distribute from there., Time to test my CTC premium I guess, and see if it is being diluted

HOW TO TEST FUEL FOR ETHANOL

• Using a small bottle, test tube or similar glass container (olive bottle for instance) six or seven inches long, make a permanent line about two inches from the bottom.
  • Fill with water to this line, then fill the tube to the top with gasoline.
  • Cover the tube, shake, and let it stand for 15 mins or more.
The ethanol and water will mix and separate out together. If the water level appears to have increased, the fuel contains ethanol. Ethanol percentages of less than 5% can sometimes give a reading below the line. Therefore, any deviation in the water line indicates the presence of ethanol.

Interesting info @RJMP. DK has a siding in Sarnia for transferring to their tanks from the train and they distribute from there., Time to test my CTC premium I guess, and see if it is being diluted

HOW TO TEST FUEL FOR ETHANOL

• Using a small bottle, test tube or similar glass container (olive bottle for instance) six or seven inches long, make a permanent line about two inches from the bottom.
  • Fill with water to this line, then fill the tube to the top with gasoline.
  • Cover the tube, shake, and let it stand for 15 mins or more.
The ethanol and water will mix and separate out together. If the water level appears to have increased, the fuel contains ethanol. Ethanol percentages of less than 5% can sometimes give a reading below the line. Therefore, any deviation in the water line indicates the presence of ethanol.
Excellent information @spincast and thanks so much again!! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ™‚

Huge drag my friend.
I assume that you've done the basics..fuel, spark..and you've changed filters, fuel lines. Running that rough,and shaking that bad, sounds like ??? a cylinder isn't firing right. As said, check your plug wires..the night thing is a great idea. You can also run the engine and remove one wire at a time to isolate a specific cylinder..if removing the wire has no impact on the engine running thats the culprit.
With all that deteriorated black fuel line shit in the filters, gotta wonder about the injectors as has been suggested, and also the fuel pump..is it clogged.
Did the guys at Advanced do the work? I'd for sure talk to them.
Yes,@DaveJ Advanced did the work last summer,and I was surprised that the 2 fuel filters weren’t replaced at all as well,when I was there to get one of my plug wire replaced. I will give Advance a call to see what they would recommend to do next. Thanks for your help,& save me some fish & take care & tight lines & Fish ON!! my friend. πŸš€πŸŽ£πŸŸπŸŸπŸŸπŸŸπŸŸπŸŸπŸ‘πŸ™‚

I think the key regardless of fuel grade is to be ethanol free or at least run Starbright additive if you are forced to use corn enhanced gas. I was very fortunate to fill the elmerfudd with ethanol free on the USA side of the line before I brought her over this spring. Saved a bunch for at least the first 4-5 trips. (105 gallon tank...ouch) Im told that 91 octane mid grade from Shell, Esso, Costco, and China Tire is all ethanol free but for sure Id be testing it to verify.

The previous fudd had a 1998 115 Evinrude Intruder that I ran for 23 years with minimal work. As in it never saw the shop for anything other than a few impellers over the years. I was annual with plugs and filters etc. That engine never saw ethanol, ever as I had a rec fuel pump at the Sunoco near my house and filled up there. The new owner tells me he changed the fuel line and primer bulb finally. Had I ran ethanol that line would have been shot in a couple years.

Best of luck to you, I hope you get it sorted out. Terrible time of year to be stuck. If I get an open seat I will drop you a note.

I think the key regardless of fuel grade is to be ethanol free or at least run Starbright additive if you are forced to use corn enhanced gas. I was very fortunate to fill the elmerfudd with ethanol free on the USA side of the line before I brought her over this spring. Saved a bunch for at least the first 4-5 trips. (105 gallon tank...ouch) Im told that 91 octane mid grade from Shell, Esso, Costco, and China Tire is all ethanol free but for sure Id be testing it to verify.

The previous fudd had a 1998 115 Evinrude Intruder that I ran for 23 years with minimal work. As in it never saw the shop for anything other than a few impellers over the years. I was annual with plugs and filters etc. That engine never saw ethanol, ever as I had a rec fuel pump at the Sunoco near my house and filled up there. The new owner tells me he changed the fuel line and primer bulb finally. Had I ran ethanol that line would have been shot in a couple years.

Best of luck to you, I hope you get it sorted out. Terrible time of year to be stuck. If I get an open seat I will drop you a note.
Thanks for your time and your input @Elmerfudd πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ™‚ & of course,it is very much appreciated,my friend!! I changed my fuel
line and bulb last year, and I should of have changed my 2 fuel filters as well,because they were quite β€œclogged” up with whatever inside. (photo). My boat has now been dropped off today at a Marina to be repaired,and myself and others are likely wondering on what would of caused my outboard motor to run so terribly!! πŸ‘Ž Lake Erie doesn’t look the greatest wind wise for boating this week,but hopefully my boat will be ready,by the time Lake Erie is safe for fishing/boating again. Thanks for offering me a open seat on your boat if you do have one,and that would be great!! A short video as well,on what my outboard motor was doing yesterday,before I dropped it off at a marina today My outboard motor wouldn’t even β€œkick over!!” as you can see on my video.Tight lines and Lake Erie & walleye’s and rainbow’s ON!! πŸš€πŸŽ£πŸŸπŸŸπŸŸπŸŸπŸŸπŸŸπŸ‘πŸ™‚
View attachment 43774-0bea691c0e5c649ad9139485d4720920.mov

Attachments

• BCE62186-1A23-44EA-BA83-F7FA9287B010.jpeg
    BCE62186-1A23-44EA-BA83-F7FA9287B010.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 5
I am certainly no expert for openers. Looking at the filter pics Id say your issue wont be a cooked cylinder, much more likely a fuel delivery issue, carbs or injector related (i dont know what yours has). Looks like ethanol related deterioration of fuel system. Definitely not firing on all cylinders. Let us know what u find out. Always good to have data points.

I am certainly no expert for openers. Looking at the filter pics Id say your issue wont be a cooked cylinder, much more likely a fuel delivery issue, carbs or injector related (i dont know what yours has). Looks like ethanol related deterioration of fuel system. Definitely not firing on all cylinders. Let us know what u find out. Always good to have data points.
@Elmerfudd my 2007 Mercury 90 four stroke outboard motor is a EFI, so therefore it has injectors,( no carburetor). I will definitely let everyone know such as yourself that was interested on why my outboard motor was not running like it should of. The marine mechanic called me this morning,(July 20/22),and they are waiting for a part for my outboard motor at this moment. The marine mechanic also said,that my outboard motor should be repaired no later than saturday,🀞🀞and I will post the β€œrepair bill” once I get it. Donation’s,(πŸ’°πŸ’°),towards my outboard motor repair bill,will be kindly accepted by me!! LoL πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰πŸ‘πŸ™‚ Tight lines to All!! & again,save me & my wife,& our daughter some Lake Erie walleye’s & rainbow’s!! lol πŸ˜‚ 🀣 πŸš€πŸŽ£πŸŸπŸŸπŸŸπŸŸπŸŸπŸŸπŸ€žπŸ€žπŸ‘πŸ™‚

eric its johnno call me at 519 659-9784 i shuold be able to help u.
Thanks for contacting me and wanting to help @johnnyo πŸ‘πŸ‘ for it has been a long time. I have a marine mechanic repairing my outboard motor since yesterday,and he called me this morning to let me know that I should have my outboard motor fixed by tomorrow afternoon or around lunchtime this Friday the latest. He was waiting for a part for my outboard motor to come in. Thanks for your phone number,and I will keep it in my β€œContact” list and give you a call one day,and talk to you about fishing of course!! lol πŸ˜‚ 🀣 Tight lines & Fish ON!! πŸš€πŸŽ£πŸŸπŸŸπŸŸπŸŸπŸŸπŸŸπŸ‘πŸ™‚

Back